Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Reverse Tours

23 Jan 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins
Hi there,
I am looking at doing the Reefs and Rainforests tour starting from Cairns at the end of April and I was wondering if people think there are any disadvantages to doing the reverse tour over the normal one from Sydney to Cairns

Thanks
Chris
  • 27 Jan 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

Hi Chris,
    My friend and I are signed up for the reefs and rainforest starting cairns for May 2. We wanted to end in Sydney so we could add two more days to explore on our own. We are extremely excited for this trip, however we are biting our nails to hear whether or not the trip will be definite. You should go on this one as well!!
    Corrine

• 27 Jan 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

I did consider the 2nd of May but I couldnt get the time off work, I only just managed to get the end of April to middle of May off! Ideally I would have wanted to stick around explore Sydney afterwards too, but it isnt to be this time, but I will be trying to go down a few days early to stay at the Cairns Colonial Club :)
    My Birthday is on May 1st so atleast I will be in Australia for that rather than on a plane too ;) Im sure it will be the best Birthday ever!
    Oh and I completely know what you mean about biting nails over whether the trip is definate! I am too! I keep checking every few hours it feels like. But so far so good, the next several trips are definates and the one at the start of Feb is already full. We should be ok as the tour seems popular :)

Thanks
    Chris

• 28 Jan 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

Aw, bummer! Ill be there for my birthday as well, May 8th!! Such a fantastic place to spend your birthday :) how old will you be? I really hope we will be okay, we have time left but i just want to know! haha Im so impatient.

• 28 Jan 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Wow we’re both doing our birthdays there, thats cool! I will be 24, how about you?
    The sooner its definate the better, it will be such a load off our minds! But its Australia and I dont think too many of their tours get canceled :) Thinking positive!

• 30 Jan 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

I’ll be 20, so Ill get to spend my 20th at the bars in Australia and then next year my 21st here! I really think we will be okay but you’re right, the sooner we know, the less Ill be freaking out haha. What type of luggage are you going with?

• 31 Jan 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Awesome! I hope you have a great birthday. I know a few people who have gone to Oz and said the only bad thing was coming back! Im sure I will feel the same.
    What do you mean exactly by what luggage am I going with? Do you mean a suitcase or how much I am packing? Sorry for the stupid question!!
    Where are you from anyways, I am from the UK

• 31 Jan 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

Haha, I keep telling my family that I’m just going to stay there forever. Everything iv seen and heard about Australia seems amazing. I am getting so anxious to leave! Haha :) I hope you have a lovely birthday as well!! I should have been clear with that question, are you using a suitcase or a backpack? Originally I was leaning towards a backpack but I have talked to some people and it seems like a suitcase is the way to go for this type of trip. I am from the US. Where abouts in the UK?

• 31 Jan 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

South West UK, in Wiltshire :) And I am taking a suitcase. I will have a backpack too for when I am out and about exploring that can go in the coach with me, but a suitcase for most my stuff.
    My family keep joking that I wont come back, and I wish that could be a reality! Apparently I have some family out there but they are on the opposite side of the country to where I am going. Maybe next time I will get to see them. Apparently its a simular situation to what I am in that led them to move out there in the first place!!

• 31 Jan 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

Ah, I have friends in Lewes, England, as well as shepton mallet, not sure if you know where either of those are? And yes, I’ll have a smaller backpack with me for when we are out exploring :)
    I’m almost positive my family would fly over and drag me back themselves if I ended up staying. I would miss my baby nephew too much to be gone for any long period of time. Thats awesome you have family there!! My brother-in-law’s aunt has a best friend that lives in Melbourne I believe. I’m with you on a second trip though, there’s so much to see! I would need 6 months to do everything I wanted to do haha. I def wish I could afford/ had the time to do a longer tour that included Uluru and the out back of Australia. But, one adventure at a time I suppose.

• 1 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Yeah I know Shepton Mallet its not far from me. My mum says she is nervous about me going to Oz. I havent been on holiday in years, let alone fly to the other side of the world alone! Its really not like me, but its Australia and I want to see it more than anything! But although they joke about me moving over there I know they wouldnt like it!
    I wanted to do the Aussie Explorer really but as I said before getting time off work was a right hassle. Reefs and Rainforests is certainly a great start for me ;)

After I have fully explored Australia I think New Zealand is next, I am a little curious about there too although no where near as much as I am drawn to Oz

• 1 Feb 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

You’re not far from shepton mallet!? That’s awesome! England is such a beautiful country, I can’t wait to visit again. I went to england and France with People to People Student Ambassador Program and my homestay family lived in shepto mallet. I still talk to them on facebook from time to time and I plan on visiting again soon. You may have to show me around once I’m there! Haha
    My parents are nervous for me to go so far away as well, but I am going with a friend that I met through the people to people program so I think they feel a little better about it. I wanted to go alone, but that was just out of the question with my mom haha.
    What is your occupation? I am trying to get into a career that will allow me to travel but I am having a hard time trying to fiure out what exactly I want to do, that pays well, and allows me to travel. That’s what this trip is for, to meet new people, come up with new ideas and hopefully something will click in my mind that “aha! This is what I want to do” haha, an if it doesn’t, then on to the next adventure!!
    I was talking to my travel agent who is actually in australia at the moment, she and her husband are doing austrailia and NZ. She said that everyone who she has delt with that has done both goes into it thinking that Oz will be the better of the two, but then come back completely on love with everything about NZ and if they ha to pick, NZ blew Oz out of the water. I am interested to hear how her trip goes, and how se would compare the two of them.

• 1 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Shepton Mallet is about 30mins or so away from me. The worst thing about England is the weather and the cold! Australia should be a great change of pace!
    I have been saving for years to do this, since I was like 18 or so. But suddenly it just clicked in my head recently that I did want to do it and I would just do it. And its worked out well as I will be there for my b’day :D
    But when I first mentioned it to my parents when I was 18 my mum was opposed to me going alone, now she isnt so bothered!
    I am hoping the trip will give me a new perspective or outlook on life, because currently mine is pretty low/bad. It would be great if it clicked in my head what I want to do with my life too, because for years now I have just been wondering aimlessly it seems.
    As for my occupation its just a simple job in retail that gets me by. When my friends always knew what they wanted to do with their lives I never did. Sucks but oh well.
    One of my best friends (who I met online) lives in Australia and she really loves NZ. Says I should go there too so one day I may. But Australia has always been my dream holiday and I dont think anything could change that!!

• 1 Feb 2011 niallerz said

niallerz

hey chris, i originally wanted to do the aussie explorer trip but like urself couldnt get time off 4m work. yea i think the reefs & rainforest tour seems to be the next best thing. all going well hope to do this tour mid october. would be great to hear how you get on after the tour

• 2 Feb 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

That’s awesome, next time I go to visit my host family, I’ll have to let you know!! Then we can meet up to plan our next trip to NZ haha :)
    I have been saving as well, although I never really had one specific destination in mind, I just knew I was going to want to travel so I kept saving over the years.
    It saddens me that your life is low/bad – life is too short, enjoy it!! :) I always try to have a positive outlook on life even when things are going the exact opposite as I would like. I am really glad I am not the only one out there that is having the same problem though, I am actually catching a lot of crap from my friends about this trip :( although they say it’s great for me to do it and they are happy for me, the tell me I am living in a “fantasy world”. What kind of crap is that? I don’t have bills, I am not in a relationship, no children – so I ask, why shouldn’t I do it? They tell me that I should finish out school, find a job in my chosen career, save up money and then travel. However, I know for a fact that if I do that, it will be too late. I would regret not traveling when I wanted to. I just wish they could see my passion for it, =/ oh well, I am not letting them stop me! :)
    I met a guy on chatroulette from Australia! He is so sweet haha, and I am amazed that he can successfully throw a boomerang. That is on my check list to accomplish while I am down unda! Along with holding a koala bear and chilling with the kangaroos.

• 2 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Well I would have to say you are doing completely the right thing, and dont let people tell you otherwise :) Sometimes, you only get the chance to do these things when you are young and if you dont do it now you may never get the chance again. Thats my thoughts on it, and at 23 (almost 24) I knew I had to do this sooner rather than later otherwise I never would. Luckily I had quite a few people in agreement with that and they kept reminding me to do it whilst I can.
    I would love to hold a Koala and see Kangaroo’s but my the thing I am looking forward to most is the chance to see Dolphins! I never have and ever since I was a kid I have loved Whales/Dolphins. Im finally getting the chance to see some of them :)
    Cyclone Yasi has me a little worried though, currently it is battering Cairns :( I do hope the damage is as minimal as it can be but its not looking positive :( I am supposed to be staying at the Colonial Club prior to my tour…

• 7 Feb 2011 cluzak said

cluzak

You have never seen dolphins? Wow… Didn’t realize I take something like that for granted until now! I live near the beach and we have a boat so in the summer time we will take the boat out to the ocean and see if we can find any dolphins. They love playing in the wake of the boat so usual they will come play with us and follow us. But don’t worry, if we see they are getting too close my dad cuts the engine. I’m happy they you’ll be able to see them now :) if you’re ever over this way during the summer time, hit me up and we’ll take a ride on the boat! Haha
    As far as these stupid natural disasters hitting Aussie, I haven’t been keeping up with the news, what’s the damage like from the cyclone and is there still massive amounts of flooding near Brisbane? I was talking to that one Aussie guy I met on chat roulette and we were talking about the floods, he said Australia is pretty good at cleaning up a natural disaster so that made me feel a little better. I’ll have to pull the news up on the internet but iv been so busy with working 2 jobs in order to finish paying off this trip along with making as much spending money as possible.

• 7 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

From what I hear, Tully, one of the places our tour goes through got hit pretty had with hundreds of houses destroyed but the overall damage was not as bad as expected. Last I heard there had only been a handful of lives lost, certainly compared to the high figures that could have been lost. I havent really been following the floods but I would expect that to be ok for our tour.
    2 jobs huh? Thats tough, but it will be worth it in the end :) May will be here before you know it! Did you get my private message I sent you? Whens your tour, I cant see anything on the 2nd.

• 13 Feb 2011 AshleyAnn said

AshleyAnn

hey guys, i’m doing to reefs and rainforests that leaves cairns on april 28th…is that the same?! and i don’t think there’s any disadvantage to reverse ones, they’re cheaper! lol

• 13 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

Yes thats the one cluzak and I are on!!!
    Glad to meet another traveler :D

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.