Community_discussions_small  

Comment

We'd love your thoughts!

24 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

A little different here, yes? Tell us what you think of your new forum.
~Beks

• 25 Jan 2011 Bri said

Bri

Really not a fan of the new “forums”. I don’t like the way they’re set out, they’re confusing to navigate and they were a lot more user friendly before.

• 25 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Bri, what are you struggling with particularly?
    A few tips to get you started:

• Click a topic heading such as ‘Europe’ for all posts about Europe
    • Choose a keyword to see a list of all related discussions. You can then click the keywords at the top to dig a bit deeper.
    • Use the search and type in what you like.
    • Click ‘my profile’ to see your last discussions
      If you get stuck, let us know :)
      ~Beks
  • 25 Jan 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

Definitely don’t like them either. Everything is jumbled together. I like that you’re trying to make them more integrated to the site, but they really were much more straighforward before. I don’t like the way everything is jumbled all together. The old forums were neatly set out, it was very easy to find what you were looking for, and to see where you’d been. The new ones seem crowded and messy to me. I definitely prefer the old forum. I can’t tell which topics I’ve read or not, and which have new comments etc. These are much harder to use.

Quick question as well; how do we deal with notifications in the new format?

• 25 Jan 2011 Goji said

Goji

Old layout was easier to navigate as the topics were titled in correspondance to the tour (E.g. Meeting Places-Europe) and everything was sub-classified. (Meeting Places-Europe-Ski hopfgarten-1 week)

With the new layout, if some one hasn’t made a post on the tour within the past 2 days, you’re pretty much searching page 4 or 5 – which can be time consuming from a mobile.

• 25 Jan 2011 Millsy484 said

Millsy484

I much prefer the old layout; like the others have said it was far more user friendly. It was also easier to use when searching for general topics and discussions as the new layout is very country oriented; if you haven’t booked a trip yet its hard to find general discussions and feedback/advice.

• 25 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey folks, thanks so much for the feedback. We’re going to be tweaking and adding additional features over the coming weeks so please bear with us :)

Looks like majority of the issues you’re experiencing are down to a few missing keywords being tagged to each discussion and section so we’re getting that sorted – because of the number of discussions we had to tag it looks like we missed a few. Once we get these all tagged up, you should find the threads easier eg to find your tour thread, you should just be able to click from the region then the tour name. LIkewise to find general advice and reviews etc.

When you’re within a topic view such as Europe, or click on a keyword, all of the discussions are presented in date order, so the most recent discussions are at the top if that helps. You should also be able to see who posted last so you can see if there have been any new posts.

Turning email notifications on/off is coming.

Hope that helps? We want this to be a great place for you to chat with the rest of our Contiki family so please do let us know of anything else that might not make sense.

~Beks

• 25 Jan 2011 Explorer SF7 said

Default_avatar

I don’t mind it too much, except that yes, I’d much prefer to see discussions sorted as they were before – by region and then tour. Right now everything seems jumbled and it’s not user-friendly in that sense. Looking forward to the new features!

• 25 Jan 2011 interface2x said

interface2x

Don’t care for it, either. It’s not easily navigable when compared to the old set-up. For instance, there was a thread for my tour but now I can’t find it. I can navigate to the right country, but now it’s got all the tours that touch that country grouped together so I’ll have to sift through page after page trying to find that single thread. Previously, I just had to go to the forum for my tour specifically and find the one for my dates.

Since things seem less organized than before, you can’t find threads you’ve participated in without some effort so I might as well abandon any participation in a discussion once I’ve posted because it’ll be hard to track down a thread again. I can’t find where it says the last poster is, either. For back-and-forth discussion, this new format is a nightmare. This serves more as a random wall instead of a forum designed to encourage in depth discussion with other users.

• 25 Jan 2011 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

I understand the goal to streamline the forums to match with the rest of the contiki site but this clearly went up before it was ready. There were several threads I have been following the past few days that are no where to be found. Separating each region into several different forums “questions”, “reviews”, “travelogues” was much more organized and using tags is not a substitute. If you look anywhere else on the web, forums are organized by topics and not only using tags. Because of this web standard, no one is going to intuitively know to filter discussions by tags as Beks suggested above. There was so much discussion in the old forums and it needs to be organized into multiple subcategories as it was. Also where did my private messages go? This new format is much more based on looks and not conducive for the long detailed responses people have always contributed. Please rethink this decision. There are other solutions that will be more organized and bring the discussions into the main site.

• 26 Jan 2011 Kelsey said

Kelsey

I don’t like that when I click on the regional topics section all the posts from the meeting place section are mixed with the questions/advice even though there is a seperate area just for meeting places.

I miss the old forums I found them way more organized and easier to use.

• 26 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Chrissy, Colin and Kelsey, thanks for your thoughts.
    Not sure if I was clear in my previous post, but we are looking add additional tags to each section to make the sub categories easier to find so just bear with us while we do that (a tag here works as you’d expect clicking a sub-category to work – it’ll show the most recent discussions in that section – and then you can keep clicking a tag at the top to reduce the # of threads). They should be specific to the category you’re in too eg European advice (unless they also have additional tags). We’re looking to restrict meeting place threads appearing in the regional sections – if this hasn’t gone live yet it won’t be far away.
    ~Beks

• 26 Jan 2011 EatPrayLove said

EatPrayLove

Really really don’t like it. To start with I couldn’t find it because you used to just click on forums, so lucky I even found it. Then I realised its changed and stuff is all over the place. Why do things have to be changed? The other setout worked perfectly.

• 26 Jan 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

sorry Beks but Contiki effed up with this, it’s a mess and to be honest I couldnt be bothered trying to find what discussions I was involved in previously….

• 26 Jan 2011 JamesA said

JamesA

I don’t really like this new layout, older one was a lot easier to navigate. It’s a lot harder to find things in this new layout and the search isn’t as reliable as on the old layout.

Another negative is it doesn’t have the time a post was made, only a date.

• 26 Jan 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

oh and why is it that when you go to the europe section and click on show all discussions for europe it brings up all discussion tags??

• 26 Jan 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

I also second a change back. Please. Tags are no substitute for a well structured forum. One of the things I hate most is that the threads and topics don’t show the time and date they were last updated, so I can’t see what’s new since the last time I was on. Please consider at least changing it to show that, but I really strongly support a motion to reinstate the old forums.

• 27 Jan 2011 Explorer1198889 said

Default_avatar

This is awful. The old forums sucked (difficult to login, constant errors) but this is unusable. I’m not entirely sure how you guys managed to make bad so much worse.

• 27 Jan 2011 dee-kay said

dee-kay

I definitely agree in saying that this new format is much harder to navigate. As someone who has been browsing the forums for a while with a tour coming up this year, this new format doesn’t really suit the ‘browser’ here, you need to have a topic in mind to search for.

The search function is fantastic though that is definitely a plus and much faster and the comments option is much more interactive (and facebooky – which I guess is where most forums are headed)

The major thing I’d ask you to consider is that in searching for something, the dates seem to be jumbled up, ie – the newest posted date of a discussion topic isn’t always at the top, I think it matches by keyword which might be an issue in getting the most up to date information. Is there an option to select ‘sort by date or keyword?’

• 27 Jan 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

• 27 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Sorry Lindsey, they’ve been disabled.
    ~Beks

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.