Community_discussions_small  

Comment

We'd love your thoughts!

24 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

A little different here, yes? Tell us what you think of your new forum.
~Beks

• 27 Jan 2011 LadyRainbow said

LadyRainbow

Not a fan of these forums AT ALL. Everything is set out differently and I no longer know where anything is. Please change it back.

• 27 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hi everyone, our humble apologies for this site not being what you expected. Please see our update on what we’re looking to fix and how you can help test future iterations: http://contiki.com/community/discussions/27230-a-very-humble-apology-opportunity-to-help
    ~B

• 27 Jan 2011 Todd said

Todd

Why are threads sorted by Newest Thread rather than Newest Post. The thread for my tour had recent posts and was therefore up the top before the switch. But now it is lost a couple of pages back because it was created in October.

• 27 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Todd, we’ll check that out. ~B

• 28 Jan 2011 Goji said

Goji

A reason as to why people aren’t able to find old forum posts was because they only put their tour date departure as the thread title (Things were subclassified on the old forum, so there was no need to start a thread with both the tour name and departure date). I typed my tour departure date in the search field and was able to find my tour thread.

Until the new version activates, try typing the tour date to find your tour – there will be lots of responses as the search result will include all tours that depart on that day. This may or may not solve the current issue.

• 29 Jan 2011 Conitki4life said

Conitki4life

Hello Contiki..
    This is a very confusing new discussion forum. The layout in the old version was easy to navigate and everything connected well. This version really needs to change soon. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out shortly! The region definately has to connect the trips!!!! Also, please add back the date and time the posts were activated. Work out the kinks!!!!!

• 30 Jan 2011 Zac said

Zac

Horrible, maybe a good idea in theory but so hard to find anything.
    It was so easy just to go to your tour sub forum and then look through for the date of your tour. Now you search by date and have to find your tour or search by tour and have to sift through all the various posts to find date.
    Please have an option to view the forums the old way, I think even over time you’ll find that very few keep it the new way

• 30 Jan 2011 Zac said

Zac

Also I go to meeting place, click on europe and the “top europe topics” are aussie Explorer, brazil, canada and the rockies etc etc. Maybe have the tours as the key words not seemingly random words.
    I notice when you expand that the tours are in bold. So ahve them at the top.

• 30 Jan 2011 kristy said

kristy

i hate it!!! like everyone said its messy.
    i cant find anyone whos going on my tour now because i have to flick through 20pages to get to the one i want. ive been converting my friend to do research here on his tours before he goes and now the new one is up hes not even going to bother with going on the contiki site at all.
    it sucks and the only way it will be better is if its like the old layout but with a new look.
    change it back

• 1 Feb 2011 Jace said

Default_avatar

I much prefer a more standard forum layout. I agree with the other comments. Perhaps just an updated version of the old forum would be much easier to use, stable and user-friendly.

• 1 Feb 2011 Moey88 said

Default_avatar

edit: read the update :)

• 1 Feb 2011 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

1) The site very slow. I click a link and it takes 4-5 seconds for the next page to begin to load. Anyone else noticing a lag?

2) Message boards across the web use a similar format as the old forums. Since so much text is being written, having large margins on the left and right of the page is not easy to read. Instead it forces all text to stack narrowly down the page, causing the user to scroll a lot to read one message. Large colorful fonts with excessive padding as this new design uses is not conducive for message boards. Look at any of contikis competitors: GAP Adventures, Top Deck, Trafalgar. They all use formatting similar to what contikis boards used to look like. So even if you fix the bugs with organizations, dating and tagging, this design is still a major problem.

3) It has been a week since these problems and not one fix has been elevated. Even if there is a lot of changes to do, it doesn’t make sense to lump them all together. Instead how about a small fix every few days so we can have confidence that our concerns are being seriously considered. There are a lot of people who come to these boards daily and the chances of them never coming back increase every day there is no improvement. For anyone new to contiki, seeing this mess for even one day is enough to turn them off from the company completely. They will not be checking back to see if it gets better.

I am a extremely loyal contiki customer and have faith you can make the decisions to get this right.

• 1 Feb 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey ChrisSoll48,

Not sure if you saw my post above, but we posted an update here on Thursday as to what’s being fixed: http://contiki.com/community/discussions/27230-a-very-humble-apology-opportunity-to-help

Some fixes have already been implemented, which are a step towards fixing the obvious issues – unfortunately they’re a bit techy to explain and wouldn’t mean much to most people so we haven’t updated you on those. We won’t be far from pushing the obvious fixes out to an audience to test, but as you can appreciate we don’t want to give it to them until we’re sure it’s working correctly, and more of the issues have been addressed.

Our team have been working around the clock to get this fixed so please continue to have faith with us. Because of how much broke, we’ve had to unpick a heck of lot of what was built over a period of months, but we are getting there – little sleep for anyone until it’s resolved.

Re the lag, please bear with us on that. Several fixes are tied together, so when they’re all fixed we should start to see a quicker site.

We can only apologise again it’s not what you expect from us.

~Beks

• 4 Feb 2011 m0lly said

Default_avatar

Even after all of these fixes the majority of us still aren’t going to like this new forum – functional or not its the general idea we dislike. Peoples minds have already been made up, recognize it as a failure and move on.

• 4 Feb 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hi all,
    Thanks for being patient. We’ve got several things working now – see the latest update on what’s been fixed so far here: http://contiki.com/community/discussions/27230-a-very-humble-apology-opportunity-to-help
    ~Beks

• 6 Feb 2011 Chris Mullins said

Chris Mullins

The old forums were much better and easier to use. Topics seem to get lost, I’ve posted a few in the Australia section and they arent there. God knows where they’ve ended up.
    Please revert to the old layout or something simular!

• 7 Feb 2011 Antman said

Default_avatar

Hi Beks,

A suggestion for the Meeting Place boards.
    Contiki should create an official thread for each tour and date, and not allow people to add their own.
    This way everyone would be funnelled into one thread per tour, rather than creating a new thread because the old one slipped to page 2.

This would probably create a lot of work though. And of course it wouldn’t apply to the London Explorer-type trips.

• 7 Feb 2011 m0lly said

Default_avatar

Antman has a good idea.. especially seeing as at the moment people would have no idea if there was a meeting place thread for their trip already because god knows if they would ever be able to find it… despite the fact that meeting place threads are EVERYWHERE and you cannot find any other posts anymore.

I’m still convinced that this whole forum is a lost cause, it’s obvious that not a single person likes it. I highly doubt these “fixes” are going to change our minds. They might make it more functional but people still won’t like it, we liked the old forum, we were familiar with it.
    OLD FORUM WITH BUGS still completely trumps NEW FORUM WITHOUT BUGS

If you had a business and decided to upgrade all the software in an office you wouldnt do it like this : All the employees come in to work one morning and all their software is changed (without any warning) , they have no idea how to use it and it doesn’t do what it is supposed to. Despite going to management to say “we can’t work like this” all they are told is that the software will be fixed at some unknown future point in time.. meanwhile you employees just have to flounder about and try to do your jobs without any support.
    You would quickly lose money… A) because nobody can actually do what they are supposed to … and B) All the employees are pissed off at you.
    You wouldnt run a business like this, yet this is exactly what you have done to your forum users and customers Contiki.
    I don’t feel like any of us are actually being listened to.

• 8 Feb 2011 Zac said

Zac

I think m0lly has the best point, and you can see by the drop in number of new threads lately. It seems like nobody is using the forums except to say they don’t like the new forums.

• 8 Feb 2011 dee-kay said

dee-kay

I am still not liking the way it separates discussions. on the home page when you click ‘europe’ it has every single europe related post whether it be meeting place or advice and many are irrelevant to what im looking for.

and when I click on ‘advice’ it still has comments from people saying ‘anyone on this tour’ and ‘anyone on that tour’ which is not advice related.

Also, is there a way to stop people posting the same comment twice. I’ve noticed that alot lately on here now and it’s clogging up the list

Thanks

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion