Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Spanish Spree june 13 2011

27 Jan 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

Hi! is anyone else doing the june 13 2011 spanish spree - i cant wait - going solo hmmmmmmm

• 13 Apr 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

Will do Nadiag, I’m Gavin Carstens from Australia …anyone else taking Spanish lessons

• 14 Apr 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

I have the audio spanish lessons that i try listen to in my car , but its not going very well. I have, however, successfully learnt how to ask for a glass of wine (and bottle, very good, i know)

• 14 Apr 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

ahh thats all you need to know imo yeh i have the audio books as well ive been puting them on repeat at night while i speel to get abit of the sumbliminal lessions going have my first real lesson on saterday at this tutioring company should be fun to speak the local lingo

• 23 Apr 2011 Jen Canada said

Jen Canada

sarah and beau…im doing the spanish spree on june 6th as well! anyone else?

• 24 Apr 2011 Explorer1238886 said

Default_avatar

Hi all- my name is Alexandra and I’ll also be going on the June 13th trip solo. I’m 25 from New York and am really looking forward to this. I cannot believe it’s in just a few weeks! I have a question though: how have some of you found out about our hotels? Did you receive a packet in the mail or is it online?

• 24 Apr 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

Howdy Alexandra! I haven’t received a packet yet and probably wont until sometime in May. Usually sent out 4-6 weeks before departure date. The invoice I received has a May 22nd date where “client documents will be issued” note. Some of us have booked either an extra hotel night either pre or post trip with Contiki, and the name of the hotel is listed on the invoice. So we know at least one hotel.

Ya no mas faltan siete semanas, estan listos?

• 24 Apr 2011 Explorer1238886 said

Default_avatar

Si, por supuesto! Pero necessito practicar mi espanol. Gracias por tu ayuda con el hotel tambien :o) Ay! siete semanas es tan pronto!

• 25 Apr 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

howdy alexandra … ahh good 2 people that can speak spanish im just learning at the moment ive book one day early im so exited to be going 35 days to go

No puedo esperar para reunirse con todos ustedes

• 25 Apr 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

35 days really!?!

• 26 Apr 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

AHH WAIT NO…47ish days for spain i depart early for scottland and forgot to add 12 days to the time its still so long away thou. time has flown buy when i wasnt counting days now… it like draging my feet through setting cement. a good sugestion for you all are original space savers travel packs they are roll up vacume bags its given my suitcase atleast 1/2 its space back

• 4 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

bump…

• 6 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

bumpity boo. hey guys, how much do you think i should average on spending money per day? like food and drink wise?

• 7 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

Depends on your spending habits are you loose with your cash or on a budget? are u doing all the additions because they have to be payed on the first day. Do you drink a lot or only a few, normally people suggest 100-150 euros a day, but I intend to not remember ibiza so I’ve planed to spend more a day then ( I have heard people say think of a number you think you will need then double it, bit I don’t know about that)are you doing debit/credit card or travelex cash passport because I don’t know what to take myself my friends say take a travelex but if you don’t spend it all sometimes you can lose out bit getting it reconverted

• 9 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

Thank you for your very informative response Gavin! im quite good on a budget until i start seeing cute little gifts (for myself) heheh. I cant predict my drinking future, this depends on the mood, which im sure will be good and thus the drinking budget will turn out to be a disaster. if you lose your name in ibiza i will kindly return it to you if i find it, only if you do the same . :P i am going to put some money on the cashpassport and leave my credit card in my room /suitcase so if i get mugged (i tend to have a "mug me " face ~ i will have backup. um, about the “optional extras” you all must tell me which ones you are going to do – i dont want to be the only person with a huge table of tapas in front of me staring at a lonely flamingo dancer, so please let me know what you guys are leaning towards ?? (also some of those touristy things can get quite cheesy? )

• 9 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

Yeh I was thinking the same thing with the credit card but don’t forget to take photo copies of all your cards and passport and keep them hidden in your bag as well as your bank contact details …also make sure you tell your bank you are leaving the country otherwise the bank will lock your cc if used overseas ..I intend to do all the additional tours I can, I vote name tags in ibiza, ones that say ( hi my name is …….. if found please return me to …..) I’m down for some tapas goodness is anyone bringing a tripod because mine is a pro one and rather not have to lug it around if I don’t have to :) 4 weeks left

• 9 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

BWHAHAHAHHAHA nametags ~ nice! i will do the photocopies and i wouldnt have thought of the bank thing, thanks! YAYAYYAYAYAYAYAY 4 weeks CANT WAIT

• 9 May 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

I have a tripod as well, but am not bringing it. I found in a tour setting, there is not enough time to setup a tripod and take pics. You will feel rushed. Plus, there are some places that tripods will be most likely forbidden (cathedrals, some museums, might get hassled on the street for impeding pedestrians/traffic, etc). It might also make you more of a target for thievery. Mine is carbon fiber so weight is not an issue, but i also dont want to take valuable luggage space as well. A “gorillapod” might be something to look into as they are much small and flexible. I shoot mostly with prime lenses too and will bring mainly zooms and maybe one prime also for convenience and the fact that my zooms are cheaper to replace than my primes, in case something bad happens.

• 9 May 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

I’m sort of leaning towards doing most of all the optionals. Except maybe the guided bike tour in Barcelona. I wish we had an extra day in Barcelona. I know there is free time listed that day (which will probably coincide with the bike tour) but there are many things to see and some are spread out. La Rambla, Plaza de Catalunya, Parc Guell, Camp Nou (for FC Barcelona fans), etc. Some optionals might end up being cheesy/touristy, but as long as your with a good group, just make the best of it.

I am planning for 100 euros a day. Some days spend less, some days spend more sort of thing. Planning to use a debit card at ATMs, having the debit card and a credit card for backup stored safely for emergencies. Im undecided on using a cash passport or the like. In the US, it tends to have a crummy exchange rate, plus loading/reloading and cashout/closeout fees. But it has other pluses (lower atm fee than some banks, has that “chip” that US debit cards lack, not tied to a bank account,etc.)

Default_avatar

What camera brand do use? I’m leaving my telephoto behind as it just takes up to much space I was thinking the tripod for more visa’s and night shots but even with it being carbon like yours,I thing it will be to big and heavy and I’ve tried a monopod and don’t realy like them … you are right about not using it much its a shame my travel lens isnt going to arive in time I would of liked to have it to save space its the tameron 18-270 and its a nice multi use but it will tale 2 weeks to arive and I leave in one … serves me right for trying to save money and buying it on e-bay …I hope getting from the airport to the hotel won’t be to much of a hassle …god not long now its scary..

Default_avatar

bbit now that there is only one week left for me I’m finding these little things I’ve forgotten to do like organise my cash …. and 20 kg is realy not enough space for me …do you know if they weigh carry-on? as it is my camera bag will be 15kg (will be lighter if I check my battery grip, chargers and others) I never thought is have space issues but my friend dint like what I had packed (bordies and singlets) now I have shorts and jeans and other heavy crap … god I hope the weather is good and hot can’t wait for Barcelona and gibraltar getting all exited now even time just needs to hurry up …nadiag did you find that travel from page helpful? it is amazing all the small things and even some of the big that gets forgotten

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.