Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Spanish Spree june 13 2011

27 Jan 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

Hi! is anyone else doing the june 13 2011 spanish spree - i cant wait - going solo hmmmmmmm

• 9 May 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

I use Pentax (K-7). I’m taking a 18-55mm kit zoom and a 55-300mm telephoto. Maybe a 21 or 40mm prime for my day after the tour ends. The telephoto will be mostly for portraits (street performers, gibraltar monkey). Look at flickr/smugmug and search for Spain pics and check out the exifs. Mostly all will be on the wide end. I understand the feeling for wanting a tripod for sunrise/sunset pics (there’s one with the Osborne bull that is AWESOME). I’m not taking my photobackpack, since will only bring 2-3 lenses, and the fact that I dont want to be a target for pickpockets. Just a shoulder camera bag (man purse, lolz),

Your airline might weigh your carry-on if it looks too big, but Contiki probably won’t.

• 10 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

yeh thats what i was concerned about because i will be carrying on a camera bag plus a backpack i asked around and its rare that they weigh carryon, like you said unless it looks realy heavy. im thinking of getting a cheep aluminium tripod thats smaller, wont be as good as mine but if i break it i wont cry … thanks for the sugestions for fliker/smugmug ill have to check them out … do you use 52mm filters on your cam because hopefuly my telephoto lens/ macro/wideangle and some other shineys from e-bay come thro in time im more then happy to share. how do you find the pentax and how are the lenses for price and quality?

• 10 May 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

I have a 52mm CPL filter for my kit lens, but all my other lenses use other sizes. I’m somewhat new to dslr photography (about 1.5 years), so the camera is more than capable for my skills at present. Pentax is all about bang for the buck for the dslrs. I use mostly medium tier lenses from them and the price is usually cheaper than the Canikons and quality is good. Some lenses are better than others (Pentax is regarded for their primes, their zooms are so-so) but every system has their strengths and weaknesses. Plus, current cameras support all lens (mounts) Pentax has ever manufactured since like the 1950s.

If you are not looking at becoming a pro photog and want a system that is feature-filled (many cameras and lenses are weather resistant/rugged or are small) without breaking the bank Pentax should be considered. It is just as good as Canon and Nikon. They are just a smaller company, and their current business model doesn’t spend for marketing/retail the way the others do. As you know, its not all about the gear, but the photographer behind the camera.

That said, I can’t wait to take a ton of pics, among other things, in Spain!

• 11 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

Yes ditto my family and friends don’t know why I want to take a video and stills camera (nikon d3100) I love the fast shoot and zoom capability that you get from a dslr and I realy want to get some great shots I’m still leaning mine I just use the auto modes I’m just bring a 18-55 and a 55-200 since my travel lens will arive 2 – 4 days after I leave. god e-bay so much crap for accessories for camera’s

Default_avatar

if I don’t take any other photo the sunrise over the waters of ibiza if I don’t get shots of that I’m going to curl up and cry myself to sleep

• 11 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

hi guys woops i havent been able to log on for the last few days (african internet pah) wow you guys are pretty serious about your photography, nice ~ dont laugh at my little sony ok hehe. Gavin I found that page very helpful thanks, the 20 kg thing is a shocker! def want to try find those “space savers” you were talking about. I am starting to wonder if I am the only girl in the group? ladies????

NADIAG

ps, also would like the sunrise photo, i’m in !

Default_avatar

theres atleast 2 girls going that i know of (first page) aparently the sun doest go down till like 9-10pm at night and between 12-3pm Everything shuts down for a siesta God i can not wait Grr WTB time speeding up and has anyone else forgotten to do the small things to the last minute like travel insurance and money i forgot all abot them till my parents asked me about it last week <3 my olds

Default_avatar

it depends on your airline like i have 25kg for my international fights but only 20kg for my domestics which means im still stuck with 20kg..also are you finding it hard at work ive been getting into trouble because ive been slacking off with thoughts of Spain or reading info on my phone about vairios things to do and see

NADIAG

heheheh yes! but im always in trouble so it fine. how are your spanish lessons going? (mine not good ~ always have got good intentions of doing a bit after work but once i get home it kind of fades….) i also dont know about the bike ride Ramiro, I can ride nicely straight but my turning on corners is not so hot (usually detour to find a cal-de-sac so i dont think the tour guide would be very impressed with me) lol. i remembered the travel insurance last week, and i hope its really hot so i dont have to put too much effort into thinking about outfits. i think everything is going to be alot of fun, thank goodness for this forum otherwise i would be freaking out a bit (lot)!!!

• 11 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

OMG GUYSSSSSS!!! HEHEHEHEHE Can’t wait to see you all, not long now! IBIZA here weee commmmmmeeee :D Yeh I am still stressing about the packing lol. Sorry I haven’t been on much, work has been madness!!! NADIAG…did I respond to your last email…I forget :S It is heaps more difficult now that the wait is shorter!!! aghhhhhh! hehehe

• 12 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/world/820327/top-10-most-useless-travel-gadgets…now with the travel bags ..http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1513451&cid=568 the clothes can get a little wrinkled so off u take clothes that get wrinkled easy or don’t iron well roll them up or fold like normal and not put them in a spacebag ! Apparently the weather is hot always all day bikes are easy I’m sure ramiro and myself could help you just bring a helmet knee and elbow pads lol I’m only taking a light jumper or 2 and a wind/rain proof jacket that rolls up nicely

• 13 May 2011 Mel said

Default_avatar

Hey pplz:) dnt worry nadiag ur not the only girl lol. Im a bit worried bout my 20kg limit as well… Im tryin not to think 2 much like a girl and pack those ‘just in case items’ that i really dnt need coz i hav2 remember that im going to europe and hopefully will b there for more than 6 months and probly do LOTA shopn hehe. Also jus wndrn pplz bout the optional extras… Do u av2 tell contiki in advance that u want to do them or can u tell them on the day? im not sure how it works:)

• 13 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

On the first day you pick the ones you want to do and pay the tour guide upfront …or so I’ve need told

• 13 May 2011 Mel said

Default_avatar

Ok cheers 4 the heads up:)

• 13 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

Mel just carry on your heavier clothes onboard and try to think its going to be summer and that undergarments can be washed in the shower/ sink just keep a eye on the weather it has been better to 8 degrees at night but it is still spring over there

• 13 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

UM>. explorer 1251276 …… > huh?
    GGD (goody gum drops re-girls, gavin, that abbreviation was for you from old duck :P) Mel are you going to work in Europe after? where in Europe? B no you didnt reply but i wrote you such a short one at work that day (was busy) you forgiven ;) its quite clever (if they do) that you have to pay for the extras on the first day because you unlikely to sign up on the actual day with a hangover – bugger. i do want to try and see as much as possible so im sure they know what they doing – save the bike ride. lol.

• 13 May 2011 Mel said

Default_avatar

Yeah i am going to work. I’ll go to london for few days when i leave australia then after the spanish tour, i’ll make my way back to london to try find a job:) Well thats the plan anyway but whether it happens or not is another story…lol. How bout u? Yeah paying 4 extras on the first day is pretty cheeky lol. Im not sure bout the bike ride etha, i think i would rather lie on the beach sumwhere and get a tan haha.

• 13 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

Gavin, I never learnt how to ride a bike, so Mel – laying in the sun somewhere on a beach sounds like an awesome idea! Whereabouts in Australia are you from? I am from Melbourne. The weather is shocking here at the moment – rain, hail and minus 5 degrees at night! Bring on European Summer!!! Yeh I think in regards to packing, toiletries are going to be pretty heavy :S o ce upon a time you could bring them onboard :( even mascara is classified as a liquid!!! Nadia, I am going to write you a new email! I’ll shout you a drink/s on tour to make up for it :D is anyone else reallllly nervous? :)

• 14 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

sorry Explorer1237686 i was teasing nadz sorry if i ofended you can carry on liquids they just have to be in a 1lt clear bag ( ie. a sandwich sized snaplock bag) and as long as each item is under 100 ml you can store it in the bag for carry on your also alowed one backpack and a handbag. Im from qld, brisbane… ouch i thought 8 degrees was rough but eww rain and hail and -5 shudder if anyone hasnt read http://contiki.com.au/community/discussions/8411-what-do-you-wish-youd-known please do

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion