Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Spanish Spree june 13 2011

27 Jan 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

Hi! is anyone else doing the june 13 2011 spanish spree - i cant wait - going solo hmmmmmmm

• 26 May 2011 NADIAG said

NADIAG

welcome Louise from Adelaide! i am the south african who cant speak spanish. lol . glad to know there is a few pro’s on board

• 26 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

pifft we will make a pro out of you yet nadz as you wont have a chioce … cant belive were up to 7 pages so far … what made you pick german and español?

• 26 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

Yay!!!!! Another Spanish speaker, sooooo no need to watch Dora The Explorer? Wow your degree sounds really interesting! I was an English Literature major at uni but dropped out 5 subjects prior to completing the degree! I am only very fluent in Italian because my parents were born and raised there, in Calabria. I understand a bit of Spanish because it’s similar to Italian. Woooooow can’t wait to meet everyone! Soooo…. How you going Paul :P (can I use that as a nickname on tour????)

Default_avatar

sorry nadz has claimed that spot with “Billy B” or “BB” for short ..dont ask about the name it will make her blush ..or perhaps do ask… theres half your luck with italian because aussie’s just dont cope well with them freaking “R’s” and the having to roll them, im starting to get the hang of it but its taken alot of effort
    its is good that some words in enligh sound the same its just getting around the fact that you put the noun before the verb

• 26 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

Awwwwwww fair enough BB hehe I LIKE it although still don’t know what it means…….. I am a little blonde at times! The ’rrrrrrrr’s ahhhh yes. You’ll get the hang of it! In fact, most aussies I know who have learnt Italian are awesome!

Default_avatar

mmh i plan to do some serious cramming of spanish in my free time in scotland ( i also have a electronic and a paper phrase book which are realy handy) thank god the volcano has disapated so early as i fly out of AUST soon and i was worries if be affected

NADIAG

hhehehe

• 26 May 2011 Explorer1234235 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the congrats, we got married about a month ago and are having a 3 month Moroccan/europeean honeymoon, leaving this weekend, yay! We don’t know any spanish either. This is our first contiki tour – I am a little nervous about the tour but really looking forward to traveling through spain, it should be lots of fun. I’m glad to see a few people into cameras, we just bought our first SLR so need quite a few tips on how to use it.

Default_avatar

what brand? and im taking as much as i can get away with my carry on consists of my camera bag… which is now 15kg just hope they dont weigh it lol…if you can find yourself a phrase pocket book there realy handy and it also tells you how to pronounce the words

• 26 May 2011 Ramiro M said

Default_avatar

It’s about time more people started showing up on the forum! Gavin, that sound like a lot of weight for your manbag. haha .I’m taking a minimalist approach, my manpurse is for a few camera gear and maybe some trinkets I pick up along the way, maybe less than 10 lbs (4.5 kilos). You’re supposed to roll the Rs in my name, so have fun with that, haha. Don’t worry, I have an alternate pronounciation and I also go by many nicknames.

Honeymooners (congrats btw), Gavin and I have been discussing SLR type stuff on the forum, so you can read that as a primer, and if you have any questions before or during the trip, feel free to ask! There will be a lot of photos to take.

NADIAG

MANPURSE LOL!

Default_avatar

i went to a party on the weekend and took about 490 odd photos inabout 8 hours … i was shocked when i downloaded and checked the count its so easy to take so many…. i now have x2 16gb HCsd cards (15MB/s) and x1 HCsd 32 gb (32 MB/s) so i shouldnt run out of space( as if your not taking a laptop with you .. you might fill up a small card easly 1/2 way thru the tour a 16gb with hold aproxx 5 thousand photos in the highest Jpeg setting or 10thousand odd on the loest) the only reason my bag is heavy is i have my vidio camera, digi cam, dslr, twin lenses and my flash plus tripod… if i could trust any of it to check in i would as it is a serious pain in the back to lug around even thou the bag is very nice and paded

Default_avatar

actualy im not sure they will let me onboard with the tripod staraped to the bag but i will find out in 5 days

• 27 May 2011 Louise said

Default_avatar

Well, NADIAG I’m probs not as pro as you think, but am hell keen to give it a go!

Gavin, Ive been learning German since I was 5. but primary and highschool aint really count for too much! Spanish was my “fun” subject that i chose in my 1st year of uni and fell in love with it almost immediately! German can be quite rough and ugly to speak so spanish was a fantastic escape!

• 27 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

i can agree with you there as my family is 1/2 german and i have no grasp on it at all thou my grandparents and my mother can speak it fluently spanish ive always wanted to learn as i just love the language

• 28 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

Agggggggghhhhhhhhhh just started packing and my luggage weighs 25kg!!! I am going to have to take some stuff out :( But I need stuff! My toiletries weigh heaps!!! My onboard bag weighs about 5kg which is good. Mmmmm I have som serious eliminating to do!

• 28 May 2011 Explorer1237686 said

Default_avatar

Ok. So I have decide that maybe 10 lipsticks is a little extreme…. I think I have an extra half kilo free after taking them out… After all, how many shades of pink can I possibly wear???

• 28 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

take more as carry on dont forget that you also can clothe yourself in the heavest items yes you might be hot but you can always take off a coat once your on the plane and dont forget that you dont have to take many clothes but take loads of accesories that way you can mix and match add that to the fact theres shopping and if you take to much over you will only have to pay out the arse for overload or ship it back dont forget also that contiki weighs the bags proior to getting on the bus the first time and your only allowed 20kg ( im not sure how stricked they are but once the first weigh is done they dont weigh again) also think travel… like travel sized shampoo and smaller accessories like hair dryer or strightener you can get realy small ones that weigh f!@k all dont forget also carry any liquid under 100ml as carry on as long as it fits into a 1lt bag ( the lunch sized snap locks for us aussies) and dont stress ..i know i did at first but i have repacked 5-6 times now adding ro taking out ( you must leave space for the SHOPPING!!!!!)

• 28 May 2011 Gavin C said

Default_avatar

dontforget it will be summer so bikine and a shirt( or something simmiler) and shorts or some discription will be all you will want to wear its 27°c at 5:08pm in madrid ATM and it will get hotter thou yes the nights are still cold 12-15°c but thats what staying indoors or parting up a sweat is for ( personlay i would pack a light jumper and a rain proof jacket you can get some realy light ones for $100 AU aproxx) try to do what i did and live out of the suitcase for one week ( a few days atleast) to see what you dont wear and what you use and dont .. multiple make-ups when one compact would do ect or atleast see or try to guess how much you would take you can always buy more once where there unless you like a certain product like mine is Clarins also get your friends involed ( and dont forget that you can always wash small items on the sink and hang up to dry overnight or druing the day for the times we spend 2 night at one destination

• 28 May 2011 Kendra K. said

Default_avatar

Hey there!
    Alittle bit late to join the forum seeing as we all meet each other in 14 days but meh!
    I’m Kendra and I’m coming on the trip with 6 other Canadian girls.
    We all know each other from school, we’re between 22-23 years old and we are ready to party!
    See you all soon

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion