Community_discussions_small  

Question

Luggage Restrictions in USA

30 Jan 2011 Jess asked

Jess

Contikipedia says Contiki Tours in the USA and Canada have a luggage restriction of 1×20 kilogram (44lbs) bag and 1 x carry on bag..

My question is about the carry on bag.. is this the same as a carry-on suitcase you take on the plane? Like could I take my carry-on suitcase on the coach, and a handbag as well? Or would I be able to leave the carry-on suitcase in the hotel with my other suitcase.
Basically I want to know if you can take your suitcase, your carry-on suitcase and a handbag as well.

Also does anyone know if Kyoto Grand Hotel will store an extra suitcase for me until I can come back 12 days later at the end of my tour to collect it? Or if there are other places near the airport who will? Thanks so much!

• 30 Jan 2011 Jess said

Jess

Really? Ok thanks

It’s not a very big suitcase if that makes any difference haha..
    It’s like 50cmx35cmx16cm

• 30 Jan 2011 Kelsey said

Kelsey

I believe that the contiki buses have smaller storage spaces then on an airplane so that is why most people take something the size of a backpack as a carry on.

• 30 Jan 2011 Jess said

Jess

Hmm right.. damn I’m having trouble because I’ll be coming from a 6 month working holiday in Florida so I’m trying to figure out what to do with all my luggage, because I know I’ll definitely have more than 20kg =/

Tricky tricky, Well thanks!

• 30 Jan 2011 tonestar said

Default_avatar

I did an Italy contiki last year and my carry on was too big to put on the bus but i was able to put it on the luggage hold on the bus so that may be an option. Most people will only have one suitcase so you may be ok. In terms of weight you may want to send some stuff home or risk it since they never weighed our bags but i know on other tours they have. The storage on the bus is minimal so you’ll just have to carry it on your lap. You could fit a tote bag on the overhead it was that little!! Then again, the hotel may hold extra stuff for you, with a different tour company last year aswell the hotel we stayed at day 1 and the last day held luggage when we did the greek islands so we didnt have to lug everything, but we were returning there so i am not sure what you are doing on your tour, where you start and end.

• 30 Jan 2011 Charltz said

Default_avatar

ive never seen luggage rejected on any of my contiki USA or Canada tours. But the new busses in USA have a cover on the bag racks so a backpak would be best size…….USA is cheap as to buy clothes and things……even brand names such as quicksilver/roxy and bollabong. So u should take a minimum of luggage and buy stuff there :). But yeh contiki USA is pretty flexible with lugggage…they dont weight or measure. Hope this helps

• 30 Jan 2011 Jess said

Default_avatar

When I did the grand southern in 08, no one cared about luggage at all! One girl had like 3 smaller suitcases instead of one and mine had a big 27kg tag on it from the airport! You shouldnt have an issue at all. Good luck!
    p.s just put your smaller suitcase under the bus and take your handbag on board.

• 30 Jan 2011 Jess said

Jess

Thanks everyone :)

• 31 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Jess, best advice is to think about logistics. Lugging a suitcase while you’re also trying to drag/carry your carry-on and stop your handbag from slipping off your shoulder every time you go somewhere isn’t fun, trust me. I’ve done it several times (usually longhaul when I’m bringing treats back from home!) and every time i swear i won’t do it again. Especially when stairs are involved. Suggest cutting it right back if you can. ~Beks

• 31 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Ps nothing to stop you of course … But if you do take a carryon perhaps a daypack would be better sonyou can use that during the day to store water bottles, jumpers etc?

• 1 Feb 2011 Jess said

Jess

Thanks Beks, I am considering a backpack or sports bag type thing..
    Now that I know I can store luggage at Kyoto Grand I probably won’t need a carry-on suitcase, so I’ll probably find a smaller bag :)

• 7 Feb 2011 Explorer1227197 said

Default_avatar

I generally used to carry a backpack and an extra bag with wheels while traveling. It usually solves all my luggage problem and easy to carry.

• 7 Mar 2011 Aussieangel said

Aussieangel

Hey Guys,
    Im doing the Eastern Discovery NO-NY its a definate departure so far, but does tours allow a 2nd pc of luggage if there is enough room under the bus?? im wanting to take a empty sports bag which ends up being flat just so i can have another bag full of shopping to take home as my flight home allows 2 bags at 32kg each ;)

• 22 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

Sorry no Aussieangel, you can only take 1 piece + your carry-on.
    ~Beks

• 24 Mar 2011 Sami-Rose said

Sami-Rose

Hey Aussieangel, I’m doing the same thing for my best of USA trip, I also finish in NY, so my plan was to take a suitcase, and a carry on tote bag, and then once we get to LA and my stuff is left in the Hotel I was going to buy a second suitcase to fill with NY shopping, because at that stage there are no more contiki flights or bus tours!

• 24 Mar 2011 Aussieangel said

Aussieangel

Hey Bek and Sami,

I spoke to someone from coktiki a week or so back who said it should be a problem with bringing an empty bag providing it is flat.
    I have to see yet but i think my backpack fits into my suitcase so i could take it and see what happens. if it is the same size contiki bus i had in europe then it would definitely fit. after all it is flat.

I had a gf who did the grand southern last year and had 2 bags cos she went straight to that one from the 37 days euro adventure.

Ill just play by ear. im sure for the NY and LA 4 day tour we just stay in the one hotel. i can always leave the stuff there.

Lol all i no is that if i come home with another bag ill be shot haha. my last 3 holidays ive come back with another extra suitcase.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.