Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best and cheapest accommodation in London

30 Jan 2011 LauraW asked

LauraW

Hey guys,
So im finishing my European Escapade on the 28th of June and staying in London for a week by myself and looking for somewhere nice and cheap to stay. Not really interested in a hostel cause i've read alot bad reviews. Anyone heard of some good hotels?

• 30 Jan 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

We are staying at the Royal National prior to our tour for a week. We booked it through Contiki.
    I had no issues with it last time we stayed there so staying again.

• 31 Jan 2011 marty15 said

marty15

There are a few places to look at! the best way to do is get a list of the cheapest and check out the reviews on trip adviser then you can see what others think and then make your choice! hope this has helped. :)

• 31 Jan 2011 SallyD said

Default_avatar

Depends on what you’re after. If you’re ok with staying in hostels then have a look on hostelworld.com
    They have reviews and plenty of details about the hostels, best of all it’s cheap and you will be staying with other travellers!
    Sorry, just saw you said no to hostels… don’t rule them out though, there are some more upmarket ones you can stay in.
    As for hotels, I would stay a little out of the city centre if you can as the further out you go, the cheaper it gets. Just try to stay near a tube line and you’ll be fine.

• 31 Jan 2011 LauraW said

LauraW

Thanks guys,
    Yeh, I had a look of the best and cheapest, and I found a hostel called the “Generator Youth Hostel” which has actually had quite a good review with great security, (which I am most interested in) Im thinking I will probably end up staying. Anyone else heard anything about it?

• 31 Jan 2011 Hayley said

Hayley

You might want to check out Tune Hotels, www.tunehotels.com
    Basically they offer 5-star rooms at 1-star prices because they are light on the ammenities (Such as, no toiletries, towels, TVs, radios, breakfast) BUT you can elect to have them as add-on’s. The location is fab, right across the bridge from Westminster Abbey (Tube stop: Lambeth North).
    I’m going to be staying there a couple days before my London and Paris tour in August!

• 1 Feb 2011 Zac said

Zac

We stayed at the Generator last year and I will be there pre-contiki this year.
    We had a blast there, ended up booking our last few days of our whole trip again there and like I said I’ll be back again this year.
    The free breakfast is handy, the bar is good and drinks are nice and cheap and also the tube (Euston or St Pancras) is nice and close.

To be honest the only slight problem were the typical hostel problems (Occassional d*ckhead etc.) which can be bad on one night and no problem any other time. We didnt really have any issues though.

• 1 Feb 2011 Zac said

Zac

Just noticed you mentioned security, they had a security guard on the door every night that you had to show your card to.

• 3 Feb 2011 Christina said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    I doing European Escapades starting may 31st, is that yours as well?
    Also, my friend and I are staying at this place: http://www.piccadillyhotel.net/

I know you said you werent keen on a hostel, but this place seems to have a lot of security :)

• 3 Feb 2011 LauraW said

LauraW

Zac,
    Thanks for your advice, yeh it looks really great and has had such great feed back. I e-mailed them about it and they told me of their luggage room, the doorman ect. So it sounds pretty definite.
    Christina,
    Unfortunetly no, im goin on the 4th of June! That’s a shame because I dont know anyone on that date yet.
    Hope you have a good time, I’ll check out you link. Thanks =]

• 3 Feb 2011 Zac said

Zac

I forgot to mention the luggage room it has a key lock which you can get a card for from the desk, but they have lockers as well if you don’t want to keep your bags with everyone elses.

The luggage room does get pretty full between about 11am-2pm as people are checking out and waiting to check in.

• 6 Feb 2011 Kate said

Kate

LauraW – When are you going to be in London? I am going to London week or two before my tour.

• 11 Feb 2011 Rhiannon said

Rhiannon

I booked the Generator for my pre tour accom! My travel agent said that she had heard great things about it. I just booked a single room because I am a light sleeper and want a good nights sleep!

• 11 Feb 2011 sammy29 said

sammy29

Hi Laura
    What tour are you going on?? im going to be in London on the 3rd of June!
    I am having the same problem finding somewhere to stay in London!
    Thanks for everyones advice!

• 11 Feb 2011 Kate said

Kate

im looking into either flying to rome then to my tour destination or london then tour…
    anyone else going to be in london area first week of july that would want to do some touristy things ?

• 12 Feb 2011 LauraW said

LauraW

Hey Guys,
    Yeh So Ill be flying in from Melbourne on the 2nd of June and arriving in Heathrow on the 3rd. I leave for my tour on the 4th I think Ill just stay at the “Royal National” for those 2 nights. But the tour finishes on 28th and im gonna stay at the “Generator Hostel” from the 28th of June till the 5th of July. I’ve only heard amazing things about this place. I think staying at the hostel should be great cause I am travelling by my lonesome and for the first time so Im looking for new people to go around with and see sights before I go around Ireland.
    Who else will be around then? any recommendations of places to visit??

• 12 Feb 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

I’m staying at the Generator post tour from the 28th June. So annoying that you can’t pay for it now – I know I’m going to forget I need that money – but it’s cheap so it should be worth it! I’m also looking for people to be touristy with!

• 12 Feb 2011 LauraW said

LauraW

Linsey,
    That sounds awesome! what tour are you doing? I think you can book and pay over the internet? or at the least the deposit. How long you staying at the Generator? =]

• 12 Feb 2011 Kate said

Kate

I would arrive into london july 4th and depart for split croatia july 13. anyone be in london during then.
    I will look into the hostel generator :)

• 12 Feb 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

Hi guys, I have heard good things about the Generator as well, though if your looking for a good nights sleep it probably isnt your place. I have stayed at the YHA at Earls Court before and it’s pretty good too, nice and secure and pretty new.

Jase

• 12 Feb 2011 p@rick said

p@rick

Glad to see someone posted this up. I was going to ask the exact same question. I’m doing the European Discovery June 30 – July 13. But will be staying in London from the 13th-17th and need a place. This is quite helpful! Thanks Laura for setting this up! Haha.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion