Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money from London To Athens + GIH

9 Feb 2011 Carly asked

Carly

I will be doing to London to Athens + GIH in April and I have about $2000 AUS saved up to take over with me plus my money for my optional extras.
I wanted to know would that be enough for me to live off? I wont be buying and souvenirs it will only be for food and maybe a few drinks

• 9 Feb 2011 chel_sea_83 said

chel_sea_83

I’m doing that trip in June, and the other people on my tour said they are planning on taking $500 a week. That seems like a lot to me, but I’m planning on doing the same, and hoping to bring some of it home with me. I was originally planning on taking $300 a week. I really think it depends on how much you plan to spend on alcohol. It seems that alcohol is the biggest expense if you drink a lot of it. In some places, it’s really cheap, and in some places, it’s expensive. I’ve never been to Europe, so I really have no idea. Post on here if you find anything else out.

• 9 Feb 2011 Rhiannon said

Rhiannon

I plan on having 100AUD a day, plus some extra funds for souvenirs and shopping etc. There is a post somewhere (by contiki) that suggests an amount to take I will try find it!

• 9 Feb 2011 Rhiannon said

Rhiannon

http://contiki.com.au/contikipedia/articles/how-much-spending-money-should-i-bring-europe

• 9 Feb 2011 Carly said

Carly

Thanks Rhiannon & Hartsj9 that really helps me alot :)

I’m trying to aim for $2500 AUS by April just incase I see something I really like, hopefully I should be ok but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

• 9 Feb 2011 Carly said

Carly

Did your friend say any optionals she didn’t like? Also did she have a favourite place she went to?
    It’s soo good to hear feedback from someone that’s already done this trip :)

• 10 Feb 2011 Bonnie said

Default_avatar

I know it seems like a lot…but i budgeted on $1000 a week.
    After paying for my flights and my contiki…i took over about $5000 in total and i was there for a month.
    I spent every last cent. I did do A LOT of shopping A LOT of going out and i did every single optional extra. I had saved up for a long time so my theory was i was there for a good time not a long time so i was really happy i had the budget to enjoy what i wanted to do. If you budget on about $100 AUD a day (before extras) you will be more than fine. i had girls i was traveling with who budgeted on $50 AUD and still had a great time and did most of the extras.

• 5 May 2011 Rhiannon said

Rhiannon

Hi Carly, I’m not sure if you are back yet from your tour but would love to hear your opinion on spending money once you are back, as well as any optionals that you would recommend, would be greatly appreciated :D:D

• 10 May 2011 Racheee said

Racheee

I agree with Rhiannon! Would love to hear what your favourite parts were!!

I am doing the shorter version of this the London to Rome in August and would love to know what things are a waste of time and what wasn’t!

:) :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.