Community_discussions_small  

Question

Camping Tips and Reviews

10 Feb 2011 Perth Traveller asked

Perth Traveller

I would like some reviews on camping tours in general plus any tips. My last trip was a time out tour so I am not sure of what to expect.

What is the campsites like and what kind of facilities are there?
What was the food like?
How far out of the city are the campsites?

I am going on The Little Hopper in April and because it is a new tour there isn't any reviews so I am trying to find out what I can.

• 13 Feb 2011 Perth Traveller said

Perth Traveller

I will be stopping in Paris, Swiss Alps, French Riviera, Florence and Rome. Any info would be great

• 13 Feb 2011 Jenny2011 said

Jenny2011

I’m doing the 46 day Big Chill camping tour and I love to know this too. Especially the camping sites and how far away from the city – is there easy transport in? does the bus drop us in the city? Will taxis be able to drop us back after a big night? etc…

• 27 Mar 2011 Jessica said

Jessica

i am thinking about doing the little hopper in may also would like to know..

• 5 Mar 2012 mel said

Default_avatar

Hi I want to do little hopper this year June 2012…any feedback from anyone that has been?

• 5 Mar 2012 Chronic_Dreamer said

Chronic_Dreamer

I’m also doing The Expedition in July, so any info would be great.

• 8 Mar 2012 amba said

Default_avatar

i am doing the expedition too…. b in sept cuz i wanted to b in germany for beer feast….. camping always great….

• 8 Mar 2012 Jenny2011 said

Jenny2011

Hi all, did the big chill camping last yr. best experience of my life!! It’s hard work but you don’t care. You don’t sleep much because your out and busy, leave the sleeping for the bus!! If you have any questions, I’ll do what I can :)

• 8 Mar 2012 Chronic_Dreamer said

Chronic_Dreamer

Hey Jenny2011! Thanks for offering to give info. I was wondering, how is the security in the camps? Did you mostly just leave your main luggage on the bus and carry a little travel bag into the tents?

• 8 Mar 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

Thanks Jenny -

do you need a pillow for sleeping on? (I’ve been told to bring a sleeping bag but noting about a pillow)
    Have you seen the sleeping bags sold at contiki basement – is it worth it or am I better off bringing one from home?
    How full was your tour?
    How are the shower/ toilet blocks etc…can you get away with handwashing there?

I suppose it doesn’t really matter because I’d go even if it was all horrible, but the extra info makes the wait a little easier :)

• 15 Mar 2012 Jenny2011 said

Jenny2011

Hmm security…well no one had their stuff stolen. I was pretty relaxed and left my iPad in the tent. Just be smart-don’t talk about your expensive items or whether they are. Main luggage was always taken off the bus, some overhead baggage was left on.
    I used my travel pillow to sleep on, again..you don’t do a lot of sleeping! Seriously!
    The sleeping bags are 20euro thin and big. I brought my own coz it was light weight and the mummy shape which is what you want for warmth, but my best investment cost me $5… A sheet insert. Used it more than the sleeping bag!!
    Yes the tour was full.
    Some shower blocks were discusting! Worst was in Lyon. But you got over it, wear thongs, but a toiletry bag with a hanger, etc. Plenty of option for hand washing :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion