Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Explorer, starting Aug 7th, in Auckland

11 Feb 2011 Lisa asked

Lisa

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone is signed up to the above tour. I am travelling with a friend who I met a couple of years ago on a Contiki trip in the USA. We are both very excited about the trip and can't wait to hear from fellow travellers. We are both from the UK.

• 13 Feb 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

Hi Ash

Great to get a response. Is this your first Contiki Tour? Are you spending much time in Auckland before the tour and Christchurch after the tour? We are yet to decide our before and after plans but will be making the decision next week as we have to sort our flights out; at the moment we have just booked the return flight to Sydney.

Lisa

• 1 May 2011 loops said

loops

hey all,
    I’m thinking of doing this tour to if i can get work and stuff sorted in time, I have 4 days in auckland before the tour booked and 2 weeks in fiji, all v.exciting. xx

• 2 May 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

Hi there
    We are doing something silimar. We are spending two days in Auckland before the trip and a week in Fiji before we we get to Auckland. Should be good fun

• 4 May 2011 dalimonster said

dalimonster

I’m also thinking of doing this tour, but was worried about it being too cold. Does anyone know what the weather is like in NZ in August? I was thinking of maybe going on a May tour instead….?

C.

• 4 May 2011 Explorer1249095 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I am doing the Scenic Southern which starts in Wellington on the 14th August so I think it joins up with the last week of the Grand Explorer. I used this site to see what the temperatures would be where as it gives them by region:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/about-new-zealand/weather-and-climate.html#regional

Caroline

• 20 May 2011 loops said

loops

all booked up :) yey looking forward 2 it !!

• 24 May 2011 loops said

loops

yeah ive booked it up, doing fiji first, well excited!!
    you on facebook??

• 26 May 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

New Zealand Grand Explorer, Auckland, Aug 7th 2011

I have created the above facebook page for our trip

• 29 May 2011 loops said

loops

Having serious concerns of what to pack ski/beach wear combo eek!!

• 29 May 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

I am having the same problem. Fiji is warm and New Zealand will be cold in places. I want to take a rucksack which will be more suitable for Fiji but that wont hold many clothes winter clothes which are needed for New Zealand. I am going to have to figure this out sooner rather than later!

• 29 May 2011 loops said

loops

my plan is layers, ill just wear everything i own in NZ….are you doing awesome adventures or contiki in fiji??

• 30 May 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

We are doing the Hula Loop with Fiji Experience. It goes around the main island but that is all we have time for, in order to arrive in New Zealand for the tour. I am so excited, I just it was time to pack and leave. I cant wait to get some sunny weather as the bank holiday is a wash out up here.

Layers are the way forward for New Zealand and I was thinking that If I am desperate I can always pick a few hoodies up along the way or even an All Blacks rugby shirt.

Are you thinking of going to the All Blacks game? I just had a look online. To be honest I am not a rugby fan but it is part of their culture and so I think the atmoshere might be something worth sampling. I am seeing Sarah on Wednesday and I’ll let you know what we decide and hopefully there will be some tickets left.

• 30 May 2011 loops said

loops

yeah i misread the sight thinking it was preorder….quiet like a day at the rugby always a few hotties to look at on and off the pitch…..plus an excuss for a beer.
    what else you guy thinking of doing in auckland?? so need to do some research

• 31 May 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

Hi all

I am off work this week and did some research on Auckland and there is loads to do but the really popular things can be done in a day if planned. I want to do the sky walk (must), the harbour with some of the bars and maybe do a cruise around the harbour or to Newport. We arrive on the 5th so I think that evening we will go to the harbour and then the sky walk first thing will the shopping area. I might even get in the rugby game at 7.30om but it would mean missing the contiki meeting. I just cant wait to get going and I have heard tha Auckland is a really nice city.

• 31 May 2011 loops said

loops

ive been to one and missed one before, neither mattered…..you’ll be told similar the next day on the bus. I looked at the sky walk and i think there a sky bar which is prob just as good! there is a zoo type place where you can go cage diving for $70 plus i do love a good zoo :)

• 5 Jun 2011 loops said

loops

wow the tours totally booked up thats a good sign….
    sky walk is that over the bridge?? I’m looking at the kelly tarton adventure place you can go shark diving which looks pretty cool!!

• 5 Jun 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

Sky walk is on the top of the tallest tower in Auckland, google it and there is a really good website. What is this cage diving, I am just about to search for it.

Ive been to those pre meetings and a lot of the people are usually just arriving and dont make it.

So excited, Im counting down, 7 weeks till I leave.

• 11 Jun 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

That’s a good point. I’ll give contiki a calland try and get an answer

• 21 Jun 2011 loops said

loops

i imagine it is to do with the ice?? no idea what tho…

• 5 Jul 2011 Felicity said

Felicity

Hi!

I’m going on this tour 2!!!!!!!!!!! So excited :-D

I leave 4 Auckland on the 5th, so I hav 1 full day there b4 the tour starts. I would like 2 do the skywalk 2! I’m going by myself on this tour also. I read on their site that they hav a 2 4 1 offer, so if any1 else is travelling by themseves and wants 2 do the skywalk, we can meet up and go halves :-)

I also found an all day tour that firstly shows u the sights of Auckland (eg: Parnell, Devonport and Mt Eden), then u visit Kelly Turlton’s Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World, Auckland Zoo, harbour to go sailing on the Pride of Auckland Yacht and finishes at the Sky Tower.

Felicity :-)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.