Community_discussions_small  

Question

carrying around what kind of bag ?

1 Aug 2008 Nyclizzo asked

Nyclizzo
For the ladies...during the day while touring the cities, what kind of bag do you usually carry around? I'm torn between a fanny bag (hold money, credit cards, camera), a sling bag, or a bigger shoulder bag...I found this really cool website www.safepac.com and they have some really great tamper proof bags, but I don't know which one I'll really need...thanks for your help!!
  • 6 Aug 2008 Janelle said

Default_avatar

Just wondering if anyone would reccomend using one of those under the clothes money belts? or if just a purse will be safe enough?

• 6 Aug 2008 Bekahangel said

Default_avatar

I used one when I went to America in January. It was just a basic one I picked up in Zelows for $12 and it was great. I had a small wallet I had a little bit of money in and kept the rest and my passport in the money belt. The belt didn’t show through my clothing and half the time I forgot I was even wearing one. I will definitely be using it when I go to Europe in December.

• 9 Aug 2008 Carli said

Default_avatar

i had a pacsafe handbag for all the stuff i needed through the day, camera, money for the day, lip balm etc.
    i then worn a money belt with passport and any extra cash i had.
    i felt this was a safe option for me that way if my handbag was stolen all the other stuff was on me.
    never did have my bag stolen.
    DO NOT use a fanny bag, that is just way too touristy and pickpockets will target you.

• 10 Aug 2008 CharleyGirl said

Default_avatar

What is a fanny bag?

And Bekahangel, what trip are you going on? I am going on Eurpean Inspiration leaving 19 December. Going to Europe on 11 Dec already though.

• 10 Aug 2008 Bekahangel said

Default_avatar

Hey CharleyGirl, I’m going on the Winter Wanderer leaving Dec 17. I’ll be in London at the Royal National from Dec 13 and then for a week after. I CAN’T WAIT!!! Time was going really fast and now it seems as if it has slowed down. And a fanny bag we aussies call them bum bags, is a small bag around your waist that sit in front of you. It screams tourist so if you want to blend in don’t wear one. If you go to wikipedia and type in fanny bag it will show you a picture. Hope you have a good time.

• 11 Aug 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

hey guys on this note…i have never traveled before and i am off next month…i have brought like a a small backpack like school bag thing…will it be ok if i put locks on the zippers and that will it be safe or not so good..??? any help would be great guyz =-)

• 11 Aug 2008 Savannah said

Default_avatar

I just got back from tour and I thought I would need a big bag but didn’t. I ended up just with a bigger purse. I think the safest thing is to have a bag that goes across your chest, that way if you feel uncomfortable in tourist-y areas you can just grab it and keep it with you. I think it is fairly safe that way, in my experience as long as you are careful, it should be fine.

• 12 Aug 2008 Carli said

Default_avatar

locks on the zips will be fine, my friend suggests the combination sort rather than keys.

• 19 Aug 2008 Sophh Bee said

Sophh Bee

i don’t know if this is any help but back in high school a few of us wore our backpacks inside out . . as in the zip part to get into was against our back so that no-one could steal stuff while we were in line for the tuckshop.

if i took a backpack i’d do this but i’ll prolly take a shoulder bag or a big bag just coz i like have things where i can see them

• 19 Aug 2008 cah0902 said

Default_avatar

I’m probably gonna take a shoulder bag. But I am thinking about a small backpack. I’ll see what I can find once I go shopping.

• 20 Aug 2008 shan28 said

Default_avatar

Hey I am heading OS in Oct and have bought a cute satchel for this cause. Its great cause its not too big and i can keep one arm over it at all times and if i get worried can sit it in front of me. As for my passport and extra cash have bought ( well my mum did!) one of those passport holders that hang around your neck and sit on your chest. Because am going over in winter its not visable.

• 23 Aug 2008 kimmygeorgie said

Default_avatar

I just took an over the shoulder handbag and had no problems at all.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion