Community_discussions_small  

Question

Luggage Questions

15 Feb 2011 Andrea S. asked

Andrea S.

Hi guys! I will be going on a European Impressions trip this summer but i had a quick question. I was wondering if someone could clarify the luggage specifications for me please. In some of the postings on the forums, I have read that people take one carry on and one big suitcase. Then on another I read one carry on AND a back pack AND your big suitcase that goes under the bus. I was a little confused so if someone could please answer this i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Andrea

• 15 Feb 2011 Tara said

Default_avatar

I had a large suitcase, a backpack and a side purse with me. Each person on the bus had only one bag because you don’t have much space in the overhead for more than that.

Hope this helps, have a great trip! I had a blast on the European Encounter and will be going on the European Impressions in Sept 2011

• 15 Feb 2011 Andrea S. said

Andrea S.

Thank you so much Tara, i really appreciate it. I’m just trying to plan in advance and start getting everything ready. Any tips or pointers for my first trip? How did you enjoy your first trip?

• 15 Feb 2011 Tara said

Default_avatar

Hi Andrea,
    If you are going in the summer it is quite hot in most places, I went in August. It was colder in the UK up until Switzerland, so do bring some warmer clothes (like one sweater or something). In the southern areas, be prepared for heat!!!! Many of the hotels that we stayed in had air-conditioning. I would plan out places that you really want to see before you go because time can be short in many of the places and you won’t see everything. I went prepared and was very happy with what I was able to accomplish in 16 days! The TM and driver we had were awesome and very knowledgeable and knew how to have a good time, the people were great as well. We had a good mix of ages and a mix of people who like to party and those who don’t. I was in the middle of that. I went alone on my trip and everyone was really nice, and to be honest everyone was nervous at the start. Amsterdam really broke the ice for everyone and it continued well from there. I am still in contact with over 30 people from my trip. If you want to know any specifics let me know!

• 15 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

The official answer is that you can bring a suitcae and a carry on. I always brought a purse too, which I could fit in my backpack that I brought on the bus as a carry on.

• 15 Feb 2011 Andrea S. said

Andrea S.

Thank you so much for answering my question girls. I really appreciate it and you both were very helpful.

• 3 Mar 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

Yes, there is storage at the Contiki basement, not sure what the charge is though.

• 3 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

Charge is £1 a day for short-term. £5 a week for long-term. If overweight they may charge extra too.
    ~Beks

• 7 Mar 2011 Explorer1237462 said

Default_avatar

I am now going to travel in May by Contiki, I’ll be a month before in Dublin, it will be with a large suitcase and one small. Can I take both the bus? I bring with me and little higher in the trunk of the bus?

• 7 Mar 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

You can ask your TM at the pre-departure meeting, but unless your tour isn’t full then it’s highly unlikely. The number and weight of the suitcases is because there is a limit to the weight of the coach for the ferry so they can’t really allow extra baggage on the bus.

• 15 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

You’d need to leave a suitcase behind if you have 2 suitcases eg at the Basement. Can I suggest you only travel with 1 throughout your travels though? Navigating with 2 suitcases is a bit of a mission, especially in places like the London Underground (you can’t leave 1 while you take the other up/down stairs, otherwise it’s likely to vanish or cause an alert), and you’ll be cursing it before the first day is out. ~Beks :)

• 23 Apr 2011 ClaireElise said

ClaireElise

whats the maximum weight for a suitcase to take on contiki?

claire

• 22 May 2012 Jessica said

Default_avatar

does that mean if you take the transfer back to london you can only have 20kg luggage with you as well cause of the ferry?

• 22 May 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

What I was told by a TM was that because not everyone returns to London they estimate that the lost people and their bags will cover the extra weight. That and I’ve never seen them carry a scale on the coach.

• 26 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

You are allowed to have 1 x carry-on bag to take on the coach and 1 x suitcase or travel pack which is stored under the coach, please note there are weight restections for all your luggage aswell.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.