Community_discussions_small  

Question

Boat in Ha Long Bay sunk!

18 Feb 2011 Toni_18 asked

Toni_18

I'm going on the May 2nd Vietnam Highlights tour. Anyone else crapping themselves about this????

• 18 Feb 2011 Toni_18 said

Toni_18

Oh ok thanks Praha334Ci – that does make me feel better!!

• 18 Feb 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

I just read that they are planning to implement a government ban on overnight cruises in Halong Bay!
    Nooooo! :(

• 18 Feb 2011 Toni_18 said

Toni_18

Ohhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo =(

• 19 Feb 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

Yeah, they’re saying now that they will be inspecting all the boats to determine which ones will still be allowed to operate. I’m so happy about that! It’s such a tragedy that this happened, but the cruise was one of the things I was most looking forward to… I would be sad if I had to miss it. At least authorities are now taking the safety of these boats seriously!

• 28 Feb 2011 Trekking in himalayas said

Trekking in himalayas

nice plan, good luck! www.narbatreks.com

• 2 Mar 2011 Explorer1220906 said

Default_avatar

Hey, I was actually on contiki in Vietnam the week the boat sunk. We went out to Halong Bay and there are hundreds of boats there. We were all anxious after hearing the news about the boat sinking but once we settled in, everything about the boat was awesome. The rooms, the food, the party, overnight stay, everything… We had such a great time on the boat. It was a great way to wind down!! Contiki uses a reputable company. You will enjoy it!!!

• 1 Apr 2011 Explorer1143333 said

Default_avatar

which company was it?

• 26 Apr 2011 princess said

princess

just got back from the vietnam experience, did the halong bay cruise. the boat that sunk is with a completely different company to what contiki uses – the crew screwed up the ballast configuration, then left the boat to go drink and gamble, and it sunk.

since then they’ve introduced a heap of new safety regulations and an inspector goes over the boats before they head out. Again, contiki uses a different company to the one that had issues – cruise was fine, no issues at all and the crew were present the entire time (actually they slept in the galley while we all partied our asses off, no idea how they managed that!).

Wouldn’t give it a second thought, halong bay is completely worth it =)

• 26 Apr 2011 Explorer1220906 said

Default_avatar

We went to Halong Bay the week after the boat sunk. Obviously, there was some fear there because at the time, the news was still hot.
    Once you get to Halong Bay, you will realise that there are hundreds of boats there. We had a great time on the boat – one of my highlights from the trip actually!!

You will have a great time and you will be in safe hands.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion