Community_discussions_small  

Question

Booking hotels online in other currencies?

18 Feb 2011 Chris713 asked

Default_avatar

Has anyone ever booked a hotel online in another currency?

I'm going to Dubai later this year and have found a hotel that I want to book accomodation. Can I just got ahead and book with my credit card? I'm hoping there will be no extra costs or additional fees and it will just automatically convert the rate from AUD to AED?

Any advice appreciated.

• 18 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

Whenever I’ve booked hotels oversees (and none were in the middle east), it always got charged in the foreign currency. But, it showed up in USD’s on my credit card with a conversion fee listed separately.

Here are my tips, make sure that you have the credit card you booked the hotel with in your physical hands when you go to the hotel. I know some airlines are picky about that, I wouldn’t risk it by using one and bringing a different one.

Also, just check on the website to see what is included, you might have to dig a bit.

• 21 Feb 2011 Jess said

Jess

I booked a hotel package in the US with my New Zealand credit card, and it just automatically converted the currency. My bank didn’t charge me any conversion fees but you would have to check with your own bank to make sure.

Like the post above me, I recommend taking the credit card you booked with you when you check-in, as some places use it as verification – such as the hotel I will be staying at in the US.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.