Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Winter Wanderer Dec 10 - Jan 3

20 Feb 2011 Ozzie_Matt said

Default_avatar

Anybody thinking of doing this tour from December 10 2011 to January 3 2012...? I Just booked...Be great to hear from you ;)

....also any feedback from anyone who's done this tour?

• 17 Oct 2011 Jenny_B said

Jenny_B

Haha – yer Qantas has been a bit dodgy recently! We’re flying Emirates, which departs at 6am and we get into London at 6pm on the 8th. I’m glad we’re not the only ones arriving so close to the start date of the tour! Yep, my brother and friend Scott will also be coming on the tour. Scott will finish the tour with everyone, but my brother I and I are finishing in Amsterdam before flying back to Venice to spend a week with an old friend before flying home. Do you have much planned for after the trip?

• 17 Oct 2011 Chad said

Chad

that sucks i was just about to book emirates too. well if the plane makes it there ill arrive in london at 5:45am on the 9th which really makes me wish i booked emirates oh well. As for after the tour i have 4 weeks to explore, im hoping to maybe group up with some people from the contiki and head off. I have left it pretty open (havnt booked a thing) which is cool but kind of scary too. the only place i know i want to go is ireland because they drink alot and there accent makes me laugh as for the rest il find out when im there.

• 18 Oct 2011 Howie said

Howie

Hey all, not long to go now so get excited :D! Just wondering if anyone based in Sydney wants to meet up for a few (or many) drinks at one of the local establishments before we head off overseas (preferably some time after the 29th of October)? Let me know if anyone is keen and has suggestions for a date/ location that suits. Would be a good opportunity to meet a few of our fellow travellers over a few cold ones (plus I’m pretty sure some drinks need to be consumed after the poor World Cup from the Wallabies/ Quade Cooper).

• 18 Oct 2011 Amanda said

Amanda

Hey Howie Elyse and I are Sydney kids haha where abouts are you from? We are both pretty booked out up until the date we leave with 21st birthdays etc. but we can maybe work something out. I’ll be staying in the city from 23rd Nov to 28th working on an event at the entertainment centre and elyse will prob be coming to the event one of those days so maybe we can squeeze a drink on two in there sometime. I’ll keep you posted closer to the date.

Amanda

Hey to the explorer person about finances. My sister did this tour 2 years ago and she took $5k AUD but also came back with left over money. I think they usually say to budget $120-$150 per day as some days you would use more then others so it would even itself out. You can also look at the optional activities and that might help you work out what extra you thngs you want to do that are not included to help budget. Hope that helps a little! =]

• 18 Oct 2011 Howie said

Howie

Hey Amanda, I live in Randwick near UNSW. What event are you going to be working at? I’m flying to Dubai on the 24th of Nov so might be a tight squeeze :P.

• 18 Oct 2011 Howie said

Howie

Hey Simoney! I’m doing the trip by myself but I am only in Dubai for three days. I’m staying with a mate up in Newcastle after that until the Contiki tour starts. Would have been nice to have someone to check out Dubai with. How long are you spending in Dubai?

Amanda

ah no worries …. I wish me and Elyse were spending time in Dubai we just do a stop over there its going to be so warm compared to Europe haha. Im the Production Assistant at the Arts Unit so ill be working on Schools Spectacular that week.

Simoney – When do you arrive in London?

• 18 Oct 2011 Jenny_B said

Jenny_B

Chad – I do not envy how tired you will inevitably feel on the 9th with that arrival time! – i think we lucked with our flights, they’re just what the travel agent booled…Whereabouts are u staying in London? I think it would be awesome just to wing it after the tour and go back to all the places you either loved or we didn’t get too…unfortunately we didn’t have that much time – with work and all…

Amanda

Simoney – We arrive in London on the 8th so maybe we can catch up before hand along with any other contiki kids that will be there a few days earlier. This is my facebook link http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=606051312 ill most likely be checking this more than my emails so maybe we all can organise a time or something to meet up for a few beverages! so everyone feel free to add me! hahahah =]

• 18 Oct 2011 Chad said

Chad

I think ill have a milo on the plane and see if i cant sleep most of the way As soon as i land ill hit up the local coffee shop and get the strongest coffee they sell either way ill be so excited to be there im sure ill be awake. Im staying at the contiki hostel for the one night in london the same one the tour leaves from, this is what iv been told by the travel agent. I was pretty much yep, yep, yep when she was recommending what to do, im probably in a dodgy motel an hour out of london haha. Yeah should be fun winging it, Im lucky enough to have a few weeks after but there is just so much i would like to see/do and im pretty indecisive so trying to work out where to go is hard. yeah i know poor me cant decide where to holiday in europe :)

• 18 Oct 2011 Michael said

Michael

yeah I’m in a similar position to you Chad. I’ve got 2 weeks after we finish the tour to explore but still unsure what I want to do or where I want to go yet… i’m looking forward to winging it but also a little apprehensive :p
    Im actually arriving about 10 days before the tour departs and thats when I plan to do my exploring of England, Wales, Scotland. Then I’m thinking I’ll finish the tour at Amsterdam then go ahead and explore the continent from there… saves crossing the channel and then crossing back again.

Jenny_B

Haha – good old milo! We’re booked into the Contiki hotel as well which should be pretty convenient…let’s hope that’s where your travel agent booked you! Haha I so wish I had more time, but I’m just going to use our tour to find out where my fav spots are and then hopefully plan to go back sometime next year..
    Michael – my brother and I are finishing the tour in Amsterdam as well and spending an extra day there (to really make the most of it :P) before flying to venice…

• 18 Oct 2011 Chad said

Chad

Michael compared to me you have it sorted at least you know what continent your starting on. Although a few people now have mentioned staying on at Amsterdam and i didnt even think about having to cross back over the channel (I feel a bit dumb) so it sounds like you have the right idea. A bit of a wind down in amsterdam it is. jenny sounds like you might be doing some flying before you even get to the airport. sorry, that was a bad joke.

• 18 Oct 2011 Howie said

Howie

Hey all, what is the name of the Contiki hotel? I will probably come down from Newcastle the day before we leave so would be a good idea to book that hotel also.

Jenny_B

Hey Howie, the Royal National is the one the tour leaves from but, judging by some of the other posts, there is another hotel nearby which some others have booked. I think it’s called the Imperial…
    Chad – that was a really bad joke, let’s hope they get better before we get on the bus..haha

• 19 Oct 2011 Chad said

Chad

Hey Simoney i heard from the contiki rep that this tour was more popular then expected and they now have 2 buses doing it. I thought that they might have us signed to a bus but the rep said you can jump on either bus which is cool.

• 19 Oct 2011 Ben said

Ben

I hadn’t heard anything about a second bus. Can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to switch though.

• 19 Oct 2011 Amanda said

Amanda

Ah that’s cool about the buses. I was told that if you booked before July you were on bus 1 and if you booked after July it was bus 2 but it will be cool if we can get on any. Either way it is going to be amazing!

• 19 Oct 2011 Amanda said

Amanda

Is everyone staying at the Royal National the night before the tour?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion