Community_discussions_small  

Question

~Thinking about Contiki~

22 Feb 2011 VictoriaJ asked

VictoriaJ

I've read a lot of different reviews online and there are quite a good amount of negative comments about Contiki. My first question would be if this is a good vacation for a married couple who does like to have a good time but not drink every night? Second I've read that the hotel rooms are small and dirty, is this true? Third, that the food which comes with the trip is horrible? Lastly that your chance of having a good TM is about 50/50?

I really appreciate any feedback I can get! Thanks!!

• 23 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve done a couple tours and they all seemed to have between 4 and 6 couples on them. I do think the superior/hotel tours are better for couples since you get a room together every night (they try to get a full size bed instead of twins, but it’s not guaranteed), but on the concept tours sometimes you might end up sharing with another couple. I’ve found most couples are pretty social and hang out with everyone on tour, but will go out on their own once or twice in a week for dinner together without the group. There can be a very strong group atmosphere on tours, so I think couples will break off sometimes to get that alone time they’re looking for on a vacation. If you’re not looking for a social environment, then Contiki probably isn’t a good choice.

As for meals, I’ve had 1 or 2 that were pretty crappy, but the rest have been fine. You’re not getting gormet food, more like food that is designed to be appealing to a group of 40-50 people. It’s generally good, but not great.

Hotel rooms – first I will say they’re 3 star european standard hotels – which do tend to be smaller and more basic then you will find in other parts of the world, there standards are very different then they are in the US (not sure where you’re from). I’ve found the hotels vary greating from cute B&B’s to mass market modern hotels. They’re not fancy but they are clean. The smallest hotel I’ve ever been in was on a contiki tour, but I’ve also stayed in some nice hotels – the kind I would send me mother to.

As for TM’s (excluding Egypt) I’ve had 5 TM’s. There was 1 that I didn’t like, he wasn’t terrible, but he just did the minimum. If I had never done a tour before I probalby would have thought he was ok. 2 were very good and 2 were awesome.

• 23 Feb 2011 Michael Dalz said

Michael Dalz

If you’re looking at any of the US tours, all of then have twin share rooms so couples get enough alone time and I can honestly say each room I stayed in on the 25 night tour in the US, the rooms would be at least 3 stars. Like the others have said, the Superior Tours are more suited for couples in Europe, but any of the US tours will be fine. There was 5 couples on my tour of the states and they all enjoyed it from what I gathered

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion