Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


what visa/passport will i need for america

2 Mar 2011 Jd asked


hi guys just wondering what paper work i need to get for my trip to the us next yr? we will be flying from sydney to la than transfer to new york staying there for 5 days than back to la to do tour than leaving from san fran back to austalia.. what do i need to or passport or both?
thanks in advance!! :)

  • Read the responses 15 responses so far
  • 3 Mar 2011 cdm115 said


    Don’t think you need anything other then to do some online form for visa waiver countries. Check the US Consulate website in Australia.

  • 3 Mar 2011 cdm115 said


    And yes, you do need a passport.

  • 3 Mar 2011 Beks said


    You’ll definitely need a passport. If you’re on an Australian passport, you’ll be eligible for the Visa Waiver – it can be completed online here: ($14 fee).

  • 3 Mar 2011 Jd said


    okay so ill get my passport as this is the first time out of the country lol and than i can get a visa waiver?? thanks for the help!!!

  • 2 Apr 2011 Explorer1227987 said


    does the visa waiver have to be filled out within 72hours of departure or prior to 72hours of departure? I leave to go in a month and just wanted to organise it. Thanks.

  • 3 Apr 2011 cdm115 said


    When do I need to apply for a travel authorization?

    Applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that travel authorization applications be submitted at least 72 hours prior to travel. Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

  • 4 Apr 2011 Beks said


    Jd – you need the passport first to apply for the visa waiver.

    Visa waivers need to be completed 72 hours or longer before travelling – if you leave it too late their systems don’t always recognise it, so it can be extra hassle at the airport and the airlines won’t let you on board if it looks like it hasn’t been completed. Best to do it now while it’s fresh in mind :) ~Beks

  • 25 May 2011 Jd said


    i just finished doing my visa waiver and it said it was approved..i printed out the reciept for my payment but do i get any other papers or does it just stay in the system for when i enter the States? thanks :)

  • 25 May 2011 Ky1987 said


    Whe i went to the US in 09,i did the waiver a few weeks before , i printed it off, but they didnt even look at it.. Didnt even ask about it lol. Is the info put on your passport if the passport has a chip in it?

  • 7 Jun 2011 Explorer1257692 said


    only visa waiver

  • 14 Jul 2011 melanie said


    Do i need to print anything out or can they see that I have submitted it when I check in. Also when I completed it I put the wrong flight number down but I have gone back in and updated it to the right one. Is that still alright

  • 14 Jul 2011 Explorer1227987 said


    nah you don’t need to print it off, i did however, they didn’t need it, it automatically goes on your passport, ie. when it gets scanned or whatever your details of the waiver pop up in their system… Yeh if you’ve updated your flight details I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

  • 14 Jul 2011 melanie said


    Thanks for that. Wasnt sure about it. It should be right as it is valid for two year anyway

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.