Community_discussions_small  

Question

HOW TO PACK - THE EXPEDITION (CAMPING)

7 Mar 2011 tina.marie asked

tina.marie

Hi!

My boyfriend and I were just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been on the Expedition tour before, and if so, can they help us shed some light on how best to pack for this trip? This is our first trip with Contiki, as well as our first major tour of Europe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! =)

- Christina & Matt
(Edmonton, AB, Canada)

• 19 May 2011 JamesA said

JamesA

Hey, I just got back from doing the Expedition tour (it was also the very 1st expedition tour done by Contiki.)

In terms of packing, do pack light. The tents provided I found weren’t really that big and bags do take up a fair bit of room. If you are going during the summer time then i wouldn’t worry about packing warm clothes either. You should also pack some dressy clothes for the nights you go out to clubs and restaurants on tour, i found on my tour that a lot of people didn’t pack these types of clothes and bought them on tour.

Most of the campsites have washing facilities which are easy to use as well, so you shouldn’t overpack on clothes. Washing usually costs 5 euro and using a dryer is usually 3 euro.

I would also recommend packing a couple rolls of toilet paper and toilet seat covers. Some campsites don’t provide these.

• 25 May 2011 Tabula Rasa said

Tabula Rasa

Hi James,

can you please tell a little bit more from you tour?
    How was it to do camping for such a long time period (about 21 days)?
    Was your group mixed well with different cultures, participants from different countries?
    Im considering to book the same tour in July.

Thanks!

• 25 May 2011 JamesA said

JamesA

Hi,

It wasn’t so bad camping for the 21 days. During the tour you have the option to upgrade to cabins at two campsites, if the cabins are available, for 10 euro a night. Also in Berlin at the time contiki hadn’t arranged campsites so we stayed in a hostel in the city. Most of the campsites you stay at are really quite good and in regards to tents you are only really ever in them when you are sleeping.

There were 35 people on the tour I did, with only 1 person over the age of 30, most people are around the 20 mark I found. The group were mainly made up of Aussies and kiwis, but we did have some canadians, Americans, Koreans and south African people on tour.

You should really do the tour as it is great and since you are camping it gives you a better chance to socialize with people.

• 25 May 2011 Tabula Rasa said

Tabula Rasa

Hi James,

thanks for your feedback. I guess I will be the only european guy on tour right?
    Im from Berlin – Germany…
    Looks like no other europeans will join one of there tours. What do you think?

Chris

• 26 May 2011 HAIZAN1201 said

Default_avatar

Hye James,

Your feedback helps getting me some ideas on how it would be for the camping tour.

I will be going for the expedition in July and I was wondering if we still need to pack for winter clothes for the trip in Switzerland?

Regards,

Haizan

• 26 May 2011 JamesA said

JamesA

At Chris – it isn’t common for Europeans to do tours of Europe I found, and this applies to the USA as well. But if you want to see the rest of Europe I recommend doing the tour.

At Haizan – switzerland I found wasn’t that cold in April compared to the Czech republic, both places being the places you can upgrade to cabins if they are available. Though if you plan on going up the mountains I would pack warm clothing.

• 3 Jun 2011 tina.marie said

tina.marie

Thank you!!! I posted this soooo long ago I gave up on anyone giving me some feedback! I appreciate it so much! I’ve been racking my brain about how to pack, I’m a chronic overpacker, so the fact that you’ve stressed not too really sends that home for me. Thanks :)

HAIZAN – What July departure date are you on? :)

• 3 Jun 2011 HAIZAN1201 said

Default_avatar

Tina~I would be going on the 6 of July. Are joining in too on that date?

• 7 May 2012 jayjay said

jayjay

for sleeping in tents do you sleep on the floor or do they give you like a mattress to sleep on? :)

• 12 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

Hi all i did the Big Chill 46 day camping tour last summer so if any of you require any help or need any questions answer about camping through europe please do not hesitete to ask ill be more then willing to help.

Jayjay to answer your question you will be sleeping on air mattress in your tents.

• 14 May 2012 earthlysoul258 said

earthlysoul258

ExplorerJeff,

Thank You for posting this! I am leaving in a week to start the Big Chill and I have a few questions!
    What would you recommend for charging cameras, etc on the bus and at the campsites? I have a few things to charge… Would you recommend/ not recommend taking my SLR camera? I know it will be like carrying another bag but I love taking photos. Would you recommend doing all the optional excursions? And is there anything you wish you knew before you left/ any tips?

Thank You!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.