Community_discussions_small  

Question

Those of you who brought a DSLR with you

10 Mar 2011 Sarah asked

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

So for all you girls who brought a DSLR with you on your trips - did you guys bring a proper backpack with you or how else did you carry all your gear around? I have a backpack that holds the camera and all my lenses and gear however I don't want to scream tourist to all the pick pockets etc and plus I want to look nice haha silly I know. I was thinking of brining an oversized handbag and buying a smaller camera bag that *might* fit into the hand bag or maybe in my bf's backpack that he'll be bringing and cut down on some lens (but I don't want to miss out on any good shots). I'll be going in to Europe in winter if that makes any difference at all.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated thanks :)

• 10 Mar 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Also did anyone bring a tripod? Was it worth it or was it just a pain to carry around?

• 11 Mar 2011 interface2x said

interface2x

I brought one a couple of years ago and will be bringing one in just over a week to my next one. The first time I brought the camera case with all the extras (extra lens, batteries, etc). Honestly, it just kinda took up space – I used the extra lens maybe twice. Most of the time I made do with my primary lens.

This time I don’t plan on bringing a special case for the camera. I’m going to bag up extra batteries, charger, and remote trigger and just throw them in my backpack. Then I’ll just wrap the camera in a shirt and throw it in there, too. Judging by how much time we spent walking all over the place on my last trip, I’m not going to bother with a tripod. It’s just heavier and larger to carry and would be a pain to set up. My plan is to just bring a Gorilla Pod (http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Digital/dp/B000KFRSG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299808020&sr=8-2) – it can keep the camera still and is only roughly 9" tall and very light.

• 12 Mar 2011 likeaflower said

likeaflower

I brought my SLR & 3 lenses. These tours are so fast paced, there’s no point bringing a tripod and the whole shebang, it’ll hold up everyone else on the tour and weigh you down and hinder the experience. Streamline it down to your core lenses. Even with the minimal kit I brought, I feel like I experienced Europe through a lens too much of the time.

• 19 May 2011 Explorer1232016 said

Default_avatar

Hi guys, to both interface2x and likeaflower , what lenses did u bring, Im going thru the same dilemma thinking of what to bring for my trip (european highlights)… I plan to bring 18-55mm, 50mm and a lensbaby(haven’t bought) did any of you use a 70-300 or something similar at all during the trip.

• 19 May 2011 Gemma said

Gemma

I’m a photographer and certainly not bringing my main unit with me, or any of my major lenses. in fact I’m considering not even bothering with my backup camera and making do with the iphone4 camera and perhaps getting a p & s LOL
    I just got the lowepro passport sling bag, doesn’t look like a camera bag and I think if you choose one lens, maybe a second then it should have enough room for other daily essentials.
    personally I wouldn’t bother with a 70-200/300, the weight would get too much (I would think) I know after a wedding lugging a few lenses/gear/etc kills my back & shoulders, I wouldn’t want that on a holiday :)

HTH.

• 19 May 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Hi guys thanks for replying. Well I’ve decided to get an 18-200 as my walk around lens and I’m going to bring my 35 prime for low light/night and an extra p & s for quick pictures, nights out and pics of the 2 of us that other people can take. Not sure about the bag yet but I think I’m leaning not to bring the whole camera bag shebang and maybe just an oversized bag that will fit everything.

• 20 May 2011 Jennieva30 said

Jennieva30

Explorer im thinking of doing the same thing, i have a pretty neat bag for my DSLR but i dont want to scream tourist…im taking a large tote and placing the camera in there and around my neck while shooting. I have a Nikon D3000 and it’s pretty light weight :)

• 20 May 2011 Explorer1232016 said

Default_avatar

I managed to steal a lowerpro flipside 200aw from work…. Its really small and light compared to my tamrac, it holds my d700 n 2 lenses and small pocket on the side for accessories. One of the best features thats great for my trip it has a small pocket in the bag which can only be accessed by the back only great place to hide the passport, wallet and etc.

• 21 May 2011 likeaflower said

likeaflower

@Explorer1232016 I brought my 18-55, 55-200 & 50mm 1.8. You wouldn’t find much use for a 300mm you’re always quite close to monuments & infrastructure so it’s an unnecessary weight, the 200mm covers everything.

• 21 May 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

For those of you who have a dx camera – what would you pick between a 35 1.8 and a 50 1.4 ? I just think even though the 50 can stop down more, it can sometime be to close and tight – especially if you want to fit a group in it.

• 21 May 2011 Gemma said

Gemma

Sarah, I’d go the 35 over 50. Even wider if you can!

• 22 May 2011 likeaflower said

likeaflower

I agree, if you’ve got the 35 take that one. You’ll get good chances to use it at dinner, I struggled with my 50mm at times.

• 22 May 2011 Gemma said

Gemma

got the lowepro passport sling in the mail the other day, have to say i’m pretty impressed with it…
    Am back on the idea of taking an slr and maybe 2 lenses… 24-70 and a fisheye.. (as the unit i’m taking is a crop-sensor it works as a wide lens with a funky feel)

• 8 Jun 2011 p@rick said

p@rick

Would you guys recommend using a 10-24mm wide angle? I was thinking of bringing 2 lenses for my trip but I don’t want my camera bag to be too heavy.

• 10 Jun 2011 JWI said

Default_avatar

I took a tripod when I went to the states but only used it at the grand canyon during sunset due to the lighting conditions at that time, it’s a personal thing but if it’s going to take up too much space then it’s probably best to leave at home. As for the bag, I didn’t want to look like a tourist so I bought one of these bags http://teds-px.rtrk.com.au/lowepro-passport-sling It was awesome, I’ve been to the states and Italy with it and honestly no one can tells there’s a DSLR in there. Enjoy your trip :)

• 10 Jun 2011 interface2x said

interface2x

I only brought my 18-135mm lens. Another guy on my tour took along his 18-55mm and a 70-300mm but found that he never used the 70-300mm. I ended up just carrying my camera in my messenger bag on this last trip, it worked out just fine. Check out my Flickr sets – anything prefaced with “Italy” was taken on my most recent Contiki trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53157520@N07/sets/

• 11 Jun 2011 JWI said

Default_avatar

I used my 18-55mm and my 70-300mm and used both. I used the 70-300mm on my helicoper rides over the grand canyon, over NYC and at NFL, NBA and NHL matches. If you’re not going to sporting events and helicopter rides then consider leaving it at home as I didn’t use mine on a recent trip to Italy, I still took it anyway just in case.

• 14 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

I also got the lowepro passport sling (in blue) and it was great. Just looks like a bag and fits a huge amount of stuff in it.

• 16 Nov 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I took my last Contiki last year I just used a larger purse for my DSLR. I kept my 18-55 lens on it and never seemed to have my 55-200 lens when I wanted it. This year I went on a cruise and bought an 18-135 lens and love it. It has enough zoom for most instances, is lighter then the 18-200, better quality lens and cheaper too.

• 16 Nov 2011 likeaflower said

likeaflower

I didn’t bring my tripod, I wish I had a mini one with me though, for long exposures. You don’t really get time to use it during the day.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion