Community_discussions_small  

Question

Italian Espresso, September 30th, 2011

14 Mar 2011 carina22g asked

Default_avatar

Peeps! Are you out there? Anybody going?

• 22 Sep 2011 Kris Sharpe said

Kris Sharpe

Hi Oklahoma. I’m coming from Baltimore with my friend :)

• 23 Sep 2011 Alexander said

Alexander

1 week today and we will be having a blast! So excited. Anyone else planning to go to the museums and such when we get to Florence (i think it is?) and have you guys booked them yet?

• 23 Sep 2011 Kimberley-Rose said

Kimberley-Rose

I want to, Alexander but I don’t want to go alone. was even thinking booking while i’m there? – day before? because i dont want to book for something and it turns out we have no time or something else comes up.

• 23 Sep 2011 Explorer1264693 said

Explorer1264693

How do you book the extras on the trip before you go? I thought you did it while you were there. I dont want to miss out on the gondela ride. Wooo 1 Week baby!

Alexander

I think most of the things we will be doing will be booked at the time we get there, though the optionals like the museums and such need to be booked ourselves. Also will anyone else be in Rome before noon on the Saturday the 1st? :)

• 23 Sep 2011 Kris Sharpe said

Kris Sharpe

Hey guys,
    If you call the number that Contiki provided for the museums (on the back o the itinerary they mailed out) you can book a reservation. They will give you a reservation number to bring with you and you don’t have to pay. Don’t try to book it online. They charged my card even though the page said there was an error when I tried to check out. I had to e-mail them to get my money back (which I did). The easiest way is just call. They’ll ask you your last name and what time you want to go, then they’ll give you a reservation number to write down.

Aaaaand. I’ll be in Rome Wednesday morning so people can hit me up on here or via FB. I’ll have my phone with me so I’ll be able to check it :)

• 23 Sep 2011 compsci2009 said

Default_avatar

Yeah, I would love to go see both the Uffizi and the academia while I’m there as well. I haven’t booked for either yet. I figured while I’m there I’ll try to get tickets for both or at least the Uffizi.

• 23 Sep 2011 Explorer1264693 said

Explorer1264693

According to another ticket things that are outside of museums but are extras can be booked with the tour guide the first day of the trip. They give out a check list and collect money then.

Alexander

Yeah that’s sounds about right and fair too. :)

• 23 Sep 2011 purplegoat said

purplegoat

I would also like to go to the Uffizi and the Academia.

BTW, does anyone know how much it costs to send postcards from Italy to the US; and to other EU countries?

• 23 Sep 2011 carina22g said

Default_avatar

Just to doublecheck: were we supposed to receive something snail mail? I got the emailed Contiki vouchers and hotel bookings etc. . I just don’t want to be missing something, eek.

Also, I was looking into the ‘Roma Pass,’ which seems to get us into a lot of attractions that Contiki doesn’t really pay for (or charges us a boatload for when we get there). Might be something to look into? People suggest buying it when you actually get there as opposed to online. I was thinking it might be a more cost-effective way to go as opposed to paying for the Imperial Tour Contiki has. This seems to be cheaper and include more: http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

• 25 Sep 2011 Brian_M said

Brian_M

Hey, hey, hey! I’m Brian and I’m coming from Washington DC. I’m so looking forward to this trip! This will be my second Contiki trip and I’m expecting this to be just as awesome as the last one (which was to Egypt two years ago; check out the pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/themosleyvault/sets/72157622372861474/). I’m looking forward to meeting you all.

It sounds like a bunch of people have extra days tacked onto their trips. I’m doing something similar, with an extra day in Rome and one in Venice. I plan on seeing the Capitoline Museum the afternoon I land, and the Vatican/Vatican Museum the morning of the first day. As for Venice, the plan is to just get lost in the city; simple and to the point. Maybe I’ll run into some of you around Rome.

I haven’t made a decision about the free time in Florence. I kind of just want to walk around, but I wouldn’t mind see the David. We’ll see what happens. Safe travels and I’m looking forward to meeting you all!

• 27 Sep 2011 Kimberley-Rose said

Kimberley-Rose

Just want to give you guys a head up, just in case: I booked my trip 6 months ago. I was not given the Rome hotel location on my contiki documents (“pending confirmation”) but they later emailed through a document with all the hotels. In Rome it said I was staying at the Regent Hotel. On Monday I went to check-in online and discovered they had actually spelt my name wrong on the documents. I asked them to re-issue me new documents with my proper name to save confusion later on (Murphys Law). The new tickets say that I will be staying at the Archimede Hote in Rome! What does yours say? Had it not been for a spelling mistake I could have ended up totally lost on my first day.

• 27 Sep 2011 carina22g said

Default_avatar

Hi Explorer1289776: We were originally staying at the Regent, but they called last week and said they had to change Rome hotels. So now we are booked in Hotel Siracusa, Rome Via Marsala 50 00185, Rome, Italy TEL: 39 06 490191 FAX: 39 06 44702328.

Hope that helps!

• 27 Sep 2011 Alexander said

Alexander

Exactly what Carina said, I would contact the person you booked with and they should be able to email the updated vouchers for you to prevent any confusion.

• 27 Sep 2011 Alexander said

Alexander

I just got an updated email saying it’s changed to the Archimede Hotel again. So confusing haha.

• 27 Sep 2011 Kris Sharpe said

Kris Sharpe

Hey Brian, I’m from Baltimore, I’m actually flying out of DC in a few hours. I’m going to be in Rome tomorrow and I’ll be in Venice until Sunday morning. I’m going with my friend Jamie so if you want to meet up before the tour we’ll be around.

I’m so excited to meet all of you guys!!! Saturday is fast approaching. I’ll have my phone with me so anyone that wants to meet up before hand my number is 1-443-831-9613. We are all going to have a blast :)

• 27 Sep 2011 carina22g said

Default_avatar

Just got off the phone with Contiki and what you both said is true— it looks like the hotel has changed again ¡ Ohhh, brother. I’ve printed off way too many papers already, haha. Hotel Archimede it is.

• 27 Sep 2011 compsci2009 said

Default_avatar

Wow, I think I have taken down a few trees with all the printing I’ve been doing! Not that much longer though, I’m excited!

• 27 Sep 2011 Kimberley-Rose said

Kimberley-Rose

at least we all know where to go now. see you guys soon! : D

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.