Community_discussions_small  

Question

Suitcase - Weight & Size - URGENT HELP!

18 Mar 2011 Racheee asked

Racheee

Are they really strict with size of your suitcase, even if it is under?

I just bought a bag that is 71 x 43 x 33cm.

And only just realised that the contiki restriction is 73cm x 50cm x 25cm.

Do you think they would care much? given it is only the depth of the bag?

I need urgent help! :(

• 18 Mar 2011 Charlie said

Default_avatar

they don’t really mind, its all about the weight dont go over your weight limit

• 18 Mar 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

No, they don’t measure suitcases, but are very strict with weight.

• 18 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hi,
    If your bag is oversized you may be asked to get a smaller bag before you depart… size as well weight is now being reviewed.
    ~Beks

• 20 Mar 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

Bek,
    I was advised last time that if the total dimensions add up to be the same that it will be fine. Is this still the case? I would be annoyed if I went back over with the exact same bag and it was an issue the 2nd time, but was not an issue on the first trip.

• 22 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Kaz, if they add up to the same you should be OK. But they are reviewing bags more so now, especially because the European regulations on coach weight limits are quite strict, so just make sure it’s not oversize or overweight.
    ~Beks

• 23 Mar 2011 laura said

Default_avatar

Hey Beks

My suitcase has 4 wheels and if they are included in the measurement the height is 77cm but if you measure the suitcase itself it’s only 72cm. Will this be ok?

• 24 Mar 2011 KRISTY! said

KRISTY!

Hi ,
    Does that mean we have to stay under the 20kgs the whole trip or just from the begining?
    Thanks heaps from
    Kristy.

• 24 Mar 2011 Charlie said

Default_avatar

they expect u to go over the 20kgs by a bit, cause u are going to pick up things on the way.
    it will only be weighed at the start of the tour

• 24 Mar 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

They don’t way the bags during the tour. The way it was explained to me was that because there are usually a couple people who stay behind in the last city they can have a little extra weight in the bags on the way back.

• 24 Mar 2011 KRISTY! said

KRISTY!

Thanks!!!!!!!! ;)

• 27 Mar 2011 Explorer1226391 said

Explorer1226391

Hi all, I have a large suitcase as i am staying in london to work for 6 -12 months, i will be under in weight but i do not want to have to buy another case as mine is to big. Will they take this into consideration?

• 28 Mar 2011 Racheee said

Racheee

I was just looking through the contiki website, and found an article saying that you aren’t allowed expandable suitcases?

Can anyone clarify if they have had people on their tour and they had an expandable bag and had no worries?

I was advised by my contiki agent, that my bag should be fine with its measurements but now i am worried that because its expandable they might not allow it.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

• 28 Mar 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

In the past it has not been an issue provided it was not expanded at the start of the tour.

• 28 Mar 2011 Beks said

Beks

To answer all your Qs…

• Wheels aren’t included in the dimensions – just the actual bag.
    • You can take an expandable bag, provided it’s not, and won’t be, expanded.
    • You need to keep the weight of the bag under 20kgs throughout as Europe regulations are quite tough on coach weights overall and it could get stopped and weighed at any time – it’s inevitable you’ll shop on tour so some of you may go over a bit, but try to keep it under. Remember you also still have to carry it too.
    • Dimensions need to be kept within our limits, so even if you have a larger bag that’s underweight you’ll still need to take a smaller bag that stays within the size limits.

Hope that helps.
    ~Beks

• 29 Mar 2011 Emmzy said

Emmzy

Hi Beks,
    I have purchased a Hybrid bag that is 76 × 41 × 36cm. I realise this is only just a few cm over the total dimensions (73cm x 50cm x 25cm) however because it is 9cm under in the width
    will this still be accepted for our Tour departing in August? Just want to be 100% sure incase i have to swap this for another bag if needs be.
    Thanks heaps

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion