Community_discussions_small  

Question

Cheapest iphone options for travelling?

20 Mar 2011 Chris713 asked

Default_avatar

I'm from Australia and travelling Europe for a few months in May. I have an iPhone and am not sure what to do with it. What are the best things to do for cheap travel? Like what are the best travel sims etc for iphone?

Thanks

• 20 Mar 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

Im also curious because I’d love to have data while overseas.

• 20 Mar 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

There was something in the RACV magazine but I cant find it

• 20 Mar 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

http://www.roamingsim.com.au/

• 20 Mar 2011 Explorer1237718 said

Default_avatar

The lady at Australia Post seemed to think that Travel Sim is the best. Hmmmm

• 20 Mar 2011 Explorer1237718 said

Default_avatar

Those roaming data sims dont look like you get much data. 50mb isn’t much not really worth it hey.

• 21 Mar 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

I’ve been looking at just getting a regular sim and using wifi … when it’s available … hmm

• 21 Mar 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

i took a regular sim over last year to make calls or sms when I wanted. It would be nice to have the internet as well. When it comes down to it though I want to have a great escape away overseas so I dont need to be online anyway. I’m just going to use the free wi fi. Hopefully it has a bit of it during my tour. Last time every 2nd or 3rd stop had wifi which made it great to send updates back to my family/friends, or update my travel journal.

Default_avatar

That’s what I’m hoping. I’ll get a prepaid uk sim to avoid having to pay a zillion dollars in overseas charges, but otherwise wifi is easier and so much cheaper!

• 21 Mar 2011 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Get a pre-paid vodafone UK sim. Same rates apply all around Europe. Is very cheap.

If you have any questions about this please let me know :). I’m also from Australia but I’m in Europe all the time.

Default_avatar

Yeah Vodafone was what I was looking at. Mainly cause that’s what I use here.

• 10 May 2011 Explorer1179776 said

Default_avatar

Can you buy a pre paid micro sim from a UK Vodaphone? Say from Heathrow?
    I have unlocked my iPhone and was hoping to use that

• 10 May 2011 beck0892 said

beck0892

I’d recommend buying a sim card over there (Orange is also good) and then using it to contact here.. it’s much cheaper than trying to do it the other way around :)

• 11 May 2011 Explorer1179776 said

Default_avatar

So pre paid micro sims are easy to find just like normal sim cards?

• 12 May 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

If you can’t find a micro, just get a normal sized sim and use your micro as a template to cut the normal sim down. Works like a charm.

• 7 Jun 2011 p@rick said

p@rick

@Explorer1179776 How did you unlock your iPhone? I’ve been trying for months and I’m getting really fustrated. My baseband is 04.10.01 and looks like the only option is that Gevey SimCard which I’m not too fond of…

• 8 Jun 2011 Kelli-Sian said

Kelli-Sian

Does anyone know if you can get Data on prepay in the UK? I’ll be getting either and O2 or Orange sim as soon as I arrive as Im staying on with a working visa after my Tour but would be nice to have the option of being able to use data while im away

• 23 Jun 2011 slatteryd said

slatteryd

Hi
    I’m travelling to the US in September and wonder if anyone has any tips for iphone use over there

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.