Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money Vietnam Highlights

21 Mar 2011 Toni_18 asked

Toni_18

10 days - how much should I budget for? And should I get US$ or dong?

• 21 Mar 2011 Toni_18 said

Toni_18

Ok thanks – so get USD but convert it to dong over there? Why wouldn’t I just get dong to begin with? Or a bit of both?

• 7 Apr 2011 Explorer1232742 said

Default_avatar

I did the Vietnam Experience in Feb & it was great. I took $200US over for the local fees ($160US + a bit extra) & $250AU to get started, then took money out from ATM’s when needed (just verify with your bank before you go that your card will work, I had to get a debit card as my usual atm card wouldn’t work overseas).

The hotel in Ho Chi Minh gave a pretty good exchange rate of ~21000VND whereas a currency exchange in Brisbane the week before the tour quoted me 16000VND – an extra 5000 dong/dollar doesn’t take long to add up over there. ATM’s probably averaged out to around 20000VND and your tour guide may give you local maps showing ATM’s and other points of interest close to your hotel. Have fun! :D

ps, $50AU covered most days pretty easily

• 26 Apr 2011 princess said

princess

Second the above post. I took over a wad of USD to cover the local costs then just pulled from ATM’s or did currency conversion in the motels. The rate was decent and I never got stuck for cash. 50 bucks a day should keep you well clear, you can have a night out with a decent feed for less than 20 bucks, outside of that it all depends on how many bits and pieces you want to buy from the markets, or how your tailoring goes at Yali’s in Hoi an. =)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.