Community_discussions_small  

Question

iphone in vietnam?

12 Apr 2011 Lisa Mannion asked

Lisa Mannion

what is the best and most affordable way to use my iphone while in vietnam? is there some sort of phone or sim card i can buy and what will it cost me in AUD to call or text family in Australia?

• 12 Apr 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

Phone cards are usually decently priced if you just want to call home (about $0.14/minute), and there’s lots of wifi spots in vietnam… so you could use Skype (or FaceTime if you have the iPhone 4) while using wifi.

I’m not sure about Australia, but from Canada the roaming rates are RIDICULOUS and should be avoided at all costs. Make sure only your wifi is turned on.

• 13 Apr 2011 Explorer1235986 said

Default_avatar

Buy a sim card if your iPhone is unlocked? Its cheap about 20 CAD or less if you don’t need a lot of minutes.

• 16 Apr 2011 Courtney said

Courtney

I just got back from Nam, your better off taking a cheap phone with you, theres internet places everywhere, definately wouldn’t recommend taking your iphone!! especially around nha trang where your bound to get pick pocketed, theres no need to take it, and the data roaming will cost u an arm and a leg.

• 26 Apr 2011 princess said

princess

I went over without a phone and just used the net / skype whenever we were at a motel. Worked out fine. If you have something like an ipod touch just chuck skype on there, there’s free wifi at every motel that you stay on these tours so it’s the cheapest option, unless you absolutely have to be in touch 24/7.

Keep in mind the facebook access over there is pretty sketchy so don’t plan on using it too much =) the only place we had consistent access was at hanoi, last stop on the tour.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.