Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Travelling Europe - Munich

16 Feb 2009 Smileeem said

Default_avatar
We're trying to organise our travel before our tour starts. This was going to be our plan. We have purchased a Eurail pass.

5-9 Sept Paris 4 Nights
10 - 11 Sept Brussels 2 Nights
12 - 14 Sept -Amsterdam 3 Nights
14 - 18 Sept - Munich - 5 nights
19th Sept- Berlin - start Contiki tour.

Want to use Munich as a base to go to Salzburg, Neuschwanstein and possibly Oberammergau on day trips. This would leave us with 1 or two days in Munich. Is this enough??

Came up with a bit of a dilemma. It turns out we would be in Munich for the 5 days before Oktoberfest. The average price for a hotel being 250 Euros. Eeek!!!

So is this a better idea or too much travelling or zigzagging.

Paris 4 Nights
Munich - 5 nights
Brussels 2 Nights
Amsterdam 3 Nights
Berlin - start Contiki tour.

From the 9th - 13th of Sept Munich hotels are around 60 Euros. Much better Smiler
  • 17 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I the first itinerary obviously makes more sense. And if you’re not going to be spending much time in Munich during Oktoberfest then it doesn’t make sense to go there then. As for the zigzagging in the second itinerary, I don’t think it makes all the much difference since you’re doing it by train, your train rides might end up a little longer, but it’s not like you’re doing the work. Just make sure the 900 euros you’re saving wont end up having to pay for the eurail pass (not sure how they work).

I think a day or 2 in Munich will be fine, as I recall there isn’t all that much to do there that you can’t get it done in a day or two. If you’re going to Overammergau you should see if the Passion Play is still going on and if it’s possible to still get tickets.

• 18 Feb 2009 Smileeem said

Default_avatar

Yeah that’s a good way to look at it, at least we’re not driving those distances.

I’m not quite sure how eurail passes work yet either. We’ve paid $950 AUD for a 15 day consecitive pass. I know we will have to pay reservation fees as well but I don’t know how much that will be.

The passion play is only every 10 years. Next one will be in 2010. I’m interested to go there because I have heard it is a beautiful town.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion