Community_discussions_small  

Question

NY Explorer tour good value?

17 Apr 2011 nicole_groombridge asked

nicole_groombridge

I'm going on the Grand Southern in Feb 2010 and leaving from NY - I am currently debating whether or not to link it with a NY Explorer tour. Any opinions on whether it's worth its value?

• 17 Apr 2011 Hayley said

Hayley

Hi Nicole!

I did the New York, New Year tour last December and it has quite a few elements from the NY Explorer thrown in.

Three years ago I did the Grand Southern and added a few extra days in New York. A bunch of my tour mates were booked on the NY Explorer and I actually regretted not doing so myself. I thought I was being smart (economically) and bought a Grey Line Sightseeing tour pass that included all 5 boroughs and a cruise around the Statue of Liberty. When it came time to do it, the traffic was so bad that I only managed to get down to Wall Street and back up to Rockefeller Center before I ditched it and did an NBC Studio Tour. More of my time was spent solo, in cafes trying to figure out where I was and what I could do.

When I did the New York, New Year tour, I saw more of NY in one day than I did the extra time I was there in 2008. The tour managers are amazing and give you tons of suggestions and ideas. Plus, they will take you to a lot of the optionals so you arent completely lost. Likely a lot of your tour mates will probably be doing it so its great to have people you know to see things with.

I would recommend it, personally. I found there was a great balance of guided time versus free time so if theres something you really want to see, the tour will allow you to do that.

Hope this helps! :)

• 18 Apr 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

I did the NY Explorer in 09 and had a great time… It was well planned and you get to see so much.
    A lot is included too. Im actually doing it again in september this year with my best friend and i am really looking forward to doing it again.

:D
    Kylie

• 18 Jun 2011 SamieC83 said

Default_avatar

Hi KY1987. I am thinking about doing the September 13th Mew York Explorer but have heard good and bad things about Contiki tours. What did you like about the Contiki New York Explorer?

• 19 Jun 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

I like that you get to see so much…On the first day we were on the bus…Got to see all the different suberbs… The second day we caught the subway to central park to strawberry fields. looked around there. You get quite a bit of free time too which is good because ont he first and second day you meet other people on the tour so on the free days you will be able to see places that you want to see with your new friends… The tour guide was very knowledgable and made it fun… SamieC83, will you just be doing this tour or will you be doing others whilst in the states?Im going on the Grand Northern leaving NY on the 16th Sept…:D

• 20 Jun 2011 SamieC83 said

Default_avatar

I’ll just be doing that tour as I have family in texas that I’ll be going to see. I’m surprised at all the free time that we have on the tour. I’ve booked myself some tours on the free days as I leave the day the tour finishes so I need to see as much as I can before I have to leave. I guess I can meet up with you or the other girls for dinner on those free days. Have you gone to see a broadway show or are you planning to do something like that?

• 20 Jun 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

Yeah when i was in NY the last timeon the tour they take you to a discounted broadway ticket place so you can buy tickets from there or buy them on your own as they only have a few shows to choose from. Last time i went i bought my ticket to Shrek:The Musical(Which was sooo much better than it sounds, was so funny) and then i went and saw the Lion King. :) Id like to see wicked when i am over there this time… Yeah dinner sounds good :) We can get a group together and hit the town :D
    What shows did you want to see over there? What date are you flying into NY?

• 21 Jun 2011 SamieC83 said

Default_avatar

I didn’t even know that musical existed, how funny :-) I wouldn’t mind seeing wicked and maybe one other. I went online to http://www.allnewyorktours.com and had a look around on that site and they have some pretty good tours. Bike riding around Central Park, TV & Movie tour, shopping tour. I guess you have done all those things. They don’t take long either, the most one of the tours takes is 3hrs. I am flying into NY on the 11th September. I’m staying at the New York Skyline, the hotel where we will stay while we are on the Contiki but the first night I’m in NY I’m in my own room and then the second night I’ll be in a twin share room with someone else, the person I’ll be staying with while on the tour I suppose. When do you arrive in NY? Can you recommend doing anything in particular?? Are you going on your own?

• 23 Jun 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

Hey ,

I did the TV and movies tour but i want to do the shopping tour (Or one of my own lol) I arrive into NY on Sept 2nd and then depending on how soon my tour goes on Definate , if it does…I will either be on the sept 9th or sept 16th Grand Northern. Yes i am going alone but my best friend will be finishing her grand southern on the 6th Sept so we are going the New York Explorer together on the 6th. :D I am so excited to be going back to NY.. The last time i was there i fell in love with it :) I miss the city. I want to do the Chelsea night clubbing tour too… i think that will be awesome. So where are you from?

• 27 Jun 2011 Sean_Aus said

Sean_Aus

Hi SamieC83 :) I am booked for this ( NY Explorer departure Sept 13 ) I arrive late on Sept 11.Travelling on my own.I am from Queensland , Australia

Seany

• 28 Jun 2011 SamieC83 said

Default_avatar

I’m from Brisbane. I can’t wait to see NY. I hope I can do as much as possible with the time that I have there. I might have to give up sleep for the days that I am there. I arrive on the 11th as well Sean Aus. It’s all very exciting! How long are you in NY for Seany?

• 29 Jun 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

Samie,

Trust me, You wont sleep… When I went to LA the last time i got in at 1.30pm to my hotel at about 2.30 all i did was went to bed at 9pm that night… no naps and i woke up in the morning with no jet lag… And i cant sleep on planes so i was up for 2 days -ish i think lol.. When you get to NY you will prob be on a adrenaline high. You prob wont want to sleep.

• 7 Jul 2011 Sean_Aus said

Sean_Aus

Hi SamieC83….I think I will stay an extra night or two in NY….. I will most probably be spending those 2 days before and after the tour wandering aimlessly around NY by myself so feel free to send me a message if you’d like to meet before the tour ( sean_mcmanimm@hotmail.com )

• 18 Jul 2011 SamieC83 said

Default_avatar

Ky1987, I think not sleeping will definately be the plan of attack. I get into NY close to 8pm, so I might take your advice and just stay awake.
    Sean, I arrive into NY on the 11th and I’m there two night before the tour starts and I fly out of NY for Washington on the 16th. Its 8 weeks before I leave! :-)

• 18 Jul 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

Yeah , basically when you get there just do what you would normally do.. Its easier to adjust to the time difference… I went to bed at like 9pm and woke up like normal lol.. so good… that is my plan again this time :P

• 22 Jul 2011 Donna1978 said

Default_avatar

HI guys – im booked on this tour on 13th Sept also – Im Donna from QLD. I arrive in NY on 7th Sept – going to Niagra Falls on 10-12th. So looking forward to meeting everyone!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.