Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Discovery Nov 27th 2011

17 Apr 2011 Danny Louis asked

Danny Louis

Hi everyone,

Me and my friend have booked the Europe Discovery Contiki tour from Nov 27th 2011. When we booked it, the departure date was unconfirmed, but thankfully they've confirmed it : ) Anyone else is on this trip? Would like to get to know my fellow tripmates before the trip : )

• 29 Aug 2011 Pat said

Pat

Hey mate. I’m on it! :) My first trip overseas, cant wait!

• 31 Aug 2011 Elley said

Elley

Doing this trip but departing 15 Nov… sooo excited =]

• 3 Sep 2011 Explorer1239141 said

Default_avatar

Hey, I’ll be on this exact tour. I cannot wait it will be amazing. When I first booked it wasn’t confirmed and I was stressing out! Glad we got the numbers though!

• 3 Sep 2011 Explorer1239141 said

Default_avatar

Also, anyone going on this tour add me on Facebook. Natasha Basukoski

• 5 Sep 2011 Danny Louis said

Danny Louis

Hi guys!!

Yeah, Natasha, when me and my friend (Pamela Chan) booked this sometime earlier this year, it was not confirmed too, and we were kinda freaking out as well. But glad that it’s confirmed now. I cannot wait to go : ) We’ve never been to Europe before, so hope it’s gonna be great!! : )

Will add you on FB, anyone who wants to add me, please do so – Danny Louis

Where do you guys live in the world?

• 22 Sep 2011 Explorer1156081 said

Default_avatar

I’ve just booked this tour! First time in Europe and I can’t wait!

• 22 Sep 2011 Explorer1295716 said

Default_avatar

I just booked this as well. First time traveling solo and first time in Europe!

• 24 Sep 2011 Explorer1295716 said

Default_avatar

And I’m from Ontario.

• 25 Sep 2011 Danny Louis said

Danny Louis

Hehe. Welcome to the both of you : )
    Well, that’s 6 people so far that we know are going : )
    I’m eagerly awaiting that Contiki wallet thingy where they have all the details..
    Btw, me and my friend are gonna be arriving at London the day before. Thought we’d just stay at the hotel where we were supposed to gather on the morning of the first day of the tour : )

• 25 Sep 2011 Explorer1239141 said

Default_avatar

I’m hanging for that wallet too!! We are getting there a day early as well. There’s apparently a meeting the day before to run through some housekeeping and tour info as well

• 26 Sep 2011 Explorer1156081 said

Default_avatar

Forgot to introduce myself! I’m Jen from Victoria, Australia!! Travelling solo after spending some time working in the south of France and will be in London after the tour finishes for another few weeks!! I should be in London the day before so hopefully I’ll meet a few of you before it starts! Also anyone keen on seeing a show at the moulin rouge in Paris instead of the optional one? I’ve heard its better if you book tickets as a group???

• 28 Sep 2011 Explorer1295716 said

Default_avatar

I will be in London the day before as well and staying there an extra night at the end of the tour. cant wait to meet everyone. Also, I’m Warren from Ontario.

• 30 Sep 2011 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hey guys! Im doing this tour with a friend from New Zealand. Im also from there. So glad to hear its all confirmed and that there are other people going on it! Have any of you done a tour before?

• 30 Sep 2011 Pat said

Pat

I’ll be there two days before the tour starts, just cause it was the only flight available around that date. Should be plenty of time to recover from jetlag! Im Pat from Gold Coast, Australia btw :)

• 3 Oct 2011 Explorer1295716 said

Default_avatar

Whats everyone packing for this thing? I’m not too sure on weather over there that time of year.

• 4 Oct 2011 Explorer1156081 said

Default_avatar

I think its safe to assume its going to be cold! I’m packing lots of layers including thermal tops and a warm coat/jacket! Last thing I want is to miss out on some sight seeing because I’m freezing!

Anyone know how important the pre tour meeting is because I just realised I wont get in to London until later that night? Is it more for meeting people or are there important things that need to be gone through?

• 4 Oct 2011 Pat said

Pat

One of my best friends and his gf went to england in dec/jan 2 years ago. They told me some creepy stories of how cold it got there. Im not sure exactly where they were at the time, but one hotel they stayed at, it got so cold, the plumbing froze overnight and they had no water the next day. So no shower, drinking water, toilet, etc. Another story he told me was at a friends house they stayed at, they left a can of coke outside by mistake and remembered to get it about 15mins later and when they opened it, the coke was frozen solid lol. I remember him saying it was one of the coldest winters they had on record, so I assume the weather is not normally that bad, but Im taking a thermal jacket/thermal underwear just incase. They acctually didnt have any thermal clothes, they just wore lots of layers and they said they were comfortable enough to get by. One other bit of advice he gave me is to get some waterproof shoes, since when the snow melts he described it as like ’walking through puddles of slush-puppy, which hurts your feet"
    Hope that helps and didnt scare you :p

• 4 Oct 2011 Emma said

Default_avatar

hey all… hope this can be helpfull to those of you coming to europe for the first time. I live in england and madrid commuting between the two…. winter in england is a lot colder than europe but also depends where you go. Last winter (im sure you all saw it on tv) they had extremely heavy snow fall!! I highly suggest thermals instead of lots of layers (also helps keep your packing down) good winter boots that can handle getting damp and wet. It rains a lot!
    and scaves, gloves, beanies!! Thick socks! If any of you have any questions at all, im happy to help. in england the temps sit at around 5 and below + occasional snowfall. Europe gets windier/the cold will get to you if ur not wrapped up.

• 5 Oct 2011 Danny Louis said

Danny Louis

Hello everyone!!
    Getting more and more excited the more posts there are : )
    Looks like there are many people from Australia coming! My friend and I are from Singapore btw.

I’m also not very sure about the packing. We’ve never been to Europe before, and sure don’t want to miss out on stuff cos of the cold. I’ve still yet to buy any jackets actually. I have one, but doubt it’ll be enough. Also, i wasn’t gonna buy any thermal stuff (mainly because i thought they looked ugly, how not practical), and was considering just wearing many layers. But have to get good boots though. Can’t stand wet feet!

Does anyone know if it’s cheaper to get good quality jackets in London? If so, i’ll just get a good one there, i’m sure the variety there will be much more than here in Singapore.

About the Moulin Rogue thing – there’s an optional one included in the trip? I wouldn’t mind doing the original one in Paris, and my friend Pamela wouldn’t either.

I’m not too sure about the timing of the pre-meeting etc. I’m just gonna get there the day before in the morning i think.

Anyone knows which hotel we’ll be meeting in? Then i’ll go and book a room there the night before : )

About 1 2/3 more months to go……. : )

• 5 Oct 2011 Explorer1295716 said

Default_avatar

Alright, this helps a lot, thanks all. I might get a pair of hiking shoes as well for the cold/snow. All of my stuff is for Canadian winters so it doesn’t scare me at all :P bring it on!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion