Community_discussions_small  

Question

isic?

30 Jun 2009 JORDIE! asked

Default_avatar
hey people
going to europe for 2 months in Sept, do you think it is worth my while to get a isic? (international student card) ?
Thanks Smiler
  • 30 Jun 2009 said

Default_avatar

If you are going to be buying train tickets/plane tickets and paying for lodging, you will get some use out of it. And good savings.

If you are just going on a tour and don’t plan to do any independent travel. The most you will end up saving is probably around 10-20 euro or so total on various Entrance fee’s.

• 30 Jun 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I’ve seen plenty of travelers use their regular university/college ID and get discounts sans problemo. Make sure your student ID isn’t expired (however I’ve seen expired ID’s get discounts too).

- Vic

• 1 Jul 2009 tiny_dancer said

Default_avatar

What about the under 25’s card? Any good for discounts?

• 2 Jul 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

the under 25 cards aren’t as good but do still get some discounts, some you can get without getting the card. if you’re going for two weeks and just need to pay admissions then you’re probably not going to make the money up with either card, but if you’re going for 2 or 3 months then you can probably save some money with those cards.

• 9 Jul 2009 Explorer1123323 said

Default_avatar

My sister and I recently went on the european highlights tour and she had her student card as she is a student. It was so cool, as we got discounts on everything, from lunch in china town in london, to shopping at H&M, it was so nice. Her student card is from South Africa and it doesn’t have international status but we still got the discounts Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Also if you are under 25 you get discounts on a lot of places you visit but just carry id on you as sometimes they want proof of age.

• 9 Jul 2009 Megan said

Megan
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1123323:

Also if you are under 25 you get discounts on a lot of places you visit but just carry id on you as sometimes they want proof of age.

Where abouts did you get the under 25 discount? Did you just ask when you went into places or is it advertised? Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Thanks!

• 9 Jul 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

In my experiences most tourist sites in Europe do not offer student discounts to non-European students as much as you would expect. When you look up on websites they will specifically say for European students only. I have noticed this primarily in major museums more than anything. You might find hostels that accept the card more than other places, but I have seen more discounts being had in other countries like Asia and South America when compared to Europe.

One thing that is quite popular in Europe instead is a separate ‘under 26’ discount. I saw this at a few places and got quite good deals. One of them I know for sure is the catacombs in Paris for about 3.5 Euro with ID. It is typically advertised in the entrance and website.

I just got my graduate student ID made, no expiration date, so I am going to milk that bad boy for years. But I still would look into the benefits of the ISIC card before actually buying one, you might not get a huge deal out of it than you expect, at least in Europe.

• 9 Jul 2009 Explorer1123323 said

Default_avatar

Well with regards to the under 25 discount, I got discounts on the eiffel tower as well as the arc de triumph while in Paris, I also got discount on all my train tickets throughout europe.

A lot of the places have the discount but always say your age when booking otherwise they will assume you are over 25 but take your id, one of the guys on the tour was only 22 but he didn’t have his id so he had to pay full price for the eiffel tower.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion