Community_discussions_small  

Question

New York, New Year 2011/2012 tour?

18 Apr 2011 Heather asked

Default_avatar

Hi everyone!
My name is Heather. I'm 25 from Melbourne. I've recently booked in for the New York, New Year's tour for 2012!
I'm doing the tour by myself and just wanted to see who else out there is going??
Look forward to hearing from you and hopefully meeting some people before the tour!
Cheers, Heather

• 26 Apr 2011 Explorer1203453 said

Default_avatar

Hey Heather

I haven’t quite booked yet (hopefully it doesn’t book out before I get to!) but I’m planning on doing new York new year as well. Will also be going solo, I’m 26 and from ballarat.

Michelle.

• 26 Apr 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

Hey Michelle!
    Did you have plans after the tour? I’m heading down to New Orleans on the 4th to start the Southern Adventure.

Default_avatar

Oh nice, that sounds good. Im not sure what i’ll do yet, Trying to find a tour that fits in with my time frame, got to be back in aus by the 16 Jan to go back to work :-(. If I can’t find anything might head to Florida for a bit or go skiing in Canada. Have you been to the US before?

• 26 Apr 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

Only to Hawaii! Spent 10 days there- really enjoyed it!!
    I’m spending 3 days in Miami before the New York tour.
    Hopefully the weather in NYC isn’t too cold, but at the same time, I would LOVE a white New Years!!

Default_avatar

I agree I’d love a white new years as well, would be awesome, especially seems we don’t get that here.

Hawaii is gorgeous isn’t it, loved it there.

• 13 Jun 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I’m also booked on this trip :) I’m Alison 23 from Sydney.

I’m going by myself and will be also joining the California Highlights Winter trip after this one.

• 21 Jun 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

Hi Alison- what are your plans before you start the tour? or are you flying straight over for the start of it?

• 22 Jun 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

I’m hoping to head over two days before to have some extra time in New York, but haven’t looked into flights yet. Then afterwards I’m booked on the California Highlights tour, and hoping to follow that up with the Meixco Grande tour if I can get enough time off work! :)

How about you Heather?

• 22 Jun 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

I’m doing the Southern adventure tour starting in New Orleans on the 5th Jan, then spending 4 days after that tour in LA, 4 days in San Francisco and 2 days in Seattle before heading home! I’m very excited!!

• 26 Jun 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

That sounds awesome!

I can relate, I’m getting really excited already but it is still six months away!
    Have you looking into your flights yet? I’m looking for some recommendations for airlines and prices now :)

• 26 Jun 2011 JessADL said

Default_avatar

Hi guys,
    I’m also booked on this tour and going solo.
    I’ll be up in Boston and also hanging around NY before the tour, but I can’t wait for New Years!

I have a feeling I’m completely underestimating the level of cold though

• 26 Jun 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

Alison- I found flights with Air New Zealand- they were about $3000 though… More expensive than I was hoping, but the timing of the flights was the best option for me.

JessADL- It’s good to hear about others going solo! Kind of takes the pressure off a bit! I’m a bit nervous about going by myself, but excited at the thought too! Bit out of my comfort zone!
    I’ve also been thinking about the cold factor a fair bit and have been buying lots of new clothes (good excuse!) from Kathmandu. I have a big snow jacket that I’ll be taking, as well as plenty of thermals and thick gloves, just incase! Most people I’ve spoken to that have been there in winter just recommend layering, because you take off a lot when you go into shops and sights. Makes sense I suppose.

• 9 Jul 2011 tracysyd said

tracysyd

Hey guys,
    I have booked this tour too and I am going solo as well. I am going before christmas and spending it with friends upstate a little. I plan on coming back to city 1 or 2 days before.
    I lived in Austria for a little while bit I think my body has forgotten how cold it was there, but from memory layering was the way. And a good coat!
    I booked flights through air korea and it cost like 2000? that’s for just before christmas and from sydney. takes the same time to fly via seoul as la so I went the cheap option!

• 10 Jul 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

Ah good to hear Tracy! I cant justify the almost $1000 extra to fly direct either! Plus can’t complain about an extra night in Seoul :)

Has anybody looked at accommodation prior to the tour starting? I’d really like to stay in the same hotel that our tour stays in for convenience reasons but its super pricey!

• 10 Jul 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

Hey Alison- I booked into the Pod Hotel for the night prior to the tour. It’s still expensive (for me!) but for a single room with a shared bathroom, it was about $185 AUD incl. taxes. The place is about 2km from the departure hotel, so I figured it was pretty good. It also had good reviews on tripadvisor.com! (unlike the other cheap hotels I found!!!!) Hope that helped!!

• 10 Jul 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

Thanks Heather that looks really good!

I think I’ll book it too :)

• 10 Jul 2011 tracysyd said

tracysyd

I am staying at the pod the night before too! It was a bit more expensive considering it’s a shared bath (I’m stayin another night there when I first get to NYC and it was less fr a double room with bath!) but for one one night I figure I’ll survive. Im actually excited about it, looks like a cool hotel! That’s sweet you’ll be there too heather!
    Alison, I only have a 1.5 hour layover in Seoul so for all intents and purposes a direct flight (if only we werent so far away we had to refuel all the time!
    Also, do you know what the departure hotel is already? I haven’t paid the whole final amount yet maybe that’s why I didn’t know it?

• 10 Jul 2011 Heather said

Default_avatar

It’s in the back of the Contiki brochure- The Skyline Hotel (unless of course it changes between now and then!). Apparently we won’t be getting all the documents until 3 weeks prior to departure!
    That’s awesome that you’ll be there too Tracy! We should have a drink that night!

• 13 Jul 2011 Alison said

Default_avatar

Its also on a Contikipedia article, tracysyd :)

Just booked the Pod hotel too, thanks for the recommendation girls! :)

• 17 Jul 2011 jessicayasmin said

Default_avatar

Hey all. Jess from Sydney here.
    Im going to be on this tour too joined by my boyfriend. We are 24 and 25.
    We are doing Disneyland over Christmas and then arrive in NYC the day before the tour starts. We booked an extra night at the skyline. After the tour we are Staying in NYC to join the eastern discovery and then we are doing the Cali highlights when that finishes. Can’t wait!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion