Community_discussions_small  

Question

Thai Island Hopper West

19 Apr 2011 Explorer1195302 asked

Explorer1195302

Hi im going to do this tour and im wondering which hotel the tour starts off in and finishes at in Phuket. What are the ferrys like? Would it be better to take a suit case or pack?
Also has anyone done this tour yet and what did you think?

• 19 Apr 2011 Chris H said

Default_avatar

The tour starts and finishes in the Centara Sawaddi Patong Resort. Doesn’t look too bad from the website. The 1st of October tour is the first ever one so unfortunately no one will be able to give you a trip review!

You should be fine with a suit case or a pack, I’m doing the one on the 12th of November and I’m taking my suitcase.

• 29 Jun 2011 Anne said

Default_avatar

I was also wondering about this.. how about the two other hotels in kho phi phi & krabi? do you know what hotels they are?

• 29 Jun 2011 Cherry said

Default_avatar

Hey guys, I’m Going to book this tour tomorrow! I just got back from Thailand in May, I did the first east island hopper and the Asia adventure! I extended my trip and stayed in thailand longer! It’s absolutely amazing, it’s was the time of my life! Pack a backpack and pack light, I did 5 weeks with a backpack and sent half my stuff home. Contiki definitely picked awesome hotels on te east and I expect the same on the west! I’m planning to come a 10 days bf and staying another 6 after the tour I’m booking for oct 1! You guys too?

• 29 Jun 2011 Explorer1195302 said

Explorer1195302

Hi, I booked this tour for the 18th Feb 2012. Im so excited. What were the ferries like? I think i go with a suitcase.
    Thanks for the reply.

• 6 Jul 2011 Anne said

Default_avatar

Hey cherry, did you get any injections for your east trip? Would you reccommend them for the west tour?

• 8 Jul 2011 Dynamite_J said

Dynamite_J

Hi,

I just got back from the East islands tour and had an incredible time. I am really interested in reviews of the west tour before I go ahead and book. Will you guys please post a review when you are back, or take my email? I’d happily return the favour if you want a trip review from me, i’ve done a couple.

Best regards, J

• 8 Jul 2011 Dynamite_J said

Dynamite_J

You should get vaccinated yes, why take a risk. I did the East tour last month and there was lots of mosquitos about, you just never know what diseases they carry. Also, most of these vaccinations last you 10-15 years so it’s a one-off.

Typhoid, Polio, Dyptheria – this comes in a all in one.
    Tetanus
    Hepatitis A

• 8 Jul 2011 Cherry said

Default_avatar

Hey dynamite J, I was one the first east tour with Richie, u same? I’m on his east island hopper page, add me, myself and one other from my other tour are going on the first west tour, richie is touring it ;) add me to fb, and I’ll update you!
    Rhea Both
    X

• 9 Jul 2011 Dynamite_J said

Dynamite_J

Thanks Rhea, I did the one on June 9th, had a fantastic time! I’ll add you, thank you x

• 29 Jul 2011 SarahP said

SarahP

I’m looking at doing this tour departing 15th Oct. Would like to chat to anyone else who is doing this depature :)

• 30 Jul 2011 Alison_82 said

Alison_82

Hi! I am also looking at booking this tour, but for late March. I also would love to hear some feedback from anyone that goes!! The more info the better! I will be going on my own, so am nervous about this well. I didn’t realise until someone pointed it out that the first tour ever is Oct 1/11!

• 30 Jul 2011 Alison_82 said

Alison_82

Anyone figure out how much spending money they are planning on bringing? Also wondering if anyone added additional nights at the hotel at the beginning/end of the tour and what the additional price was.

• 31 Jul 2011 katie said

katie

Hey Alison I’m doing the one in Mach 17th I can’t wait!! I’m staying 2 nights pre and post tour :)

• 31 Jul 2011 Alison_82 said

Alison_82

Hi Katie! Thanks for responding! How much were the additional 2 nights of hotel?

• 6 Aug 2011 Cherry said

Default_avatar

Hey Alison, Dont be nervous at all, i just came back from Asia, i did 2 back to back contikis and loved it, i ended up staying in Thailand longer. Im going to be on the first west tour and i was on the first east. Its super easy to book hotels when your there, if i can suggest anything dont plan or book too much. Budget about $30 a day for food and drink, you shouldnt have to spend more than $30 a night for a hotel. Contiki usually puts you in an area that has alot of tourists and finding places to stay is quite easy. I use the Lonely Plant books, and they are awesome for figuring out where to stay and etc.
    Happy travels

• 15 Aug 2011 Explorer1195302 said

Explorer1195302

Hi im just wondering is anyone taking a suit case with them and what were the ferries like?

• 16 Aug 2011 christina1986 said

christina1986

hey this might be a silly question but are the east and west tours more like party tours?? are there any markets and stuff we can pick up cheap knock off designer goods or get more of a sence of the town or is that more the asian adventure?

• 17 Aug 2011 Chris H said

Default_avatar

After having gone on the east tour I can tell you that you get heaps of free time during the day so you can do whatever you like during the day – shopping, sightseeing, relaxing by the pool, etc. At night pretty much everyone on tour goes out but that the end of the day it’s up to you whether you would like to or not. Apart from where you stay and the ferry rides everything is optional on the tour.

I’m sure the west tour would be the same.

• 17 Aug 2011 Cherry said

Default_avatar

Ive done both, Their is definitely more time to shop on the Asia Adventure, lots of markets along the way. Im on the island hopper west First tour( with the “Tour Master” again chris ;) and Phuket is alot more toursits, i think there will be alot more shoppping. Explorer i would definitely say do a backpack, pack light, i threw half my stuff away, their tones of shops to pic up clothes! Happy Travels Everyone

• 6 Sep 2011 Maggie said

Maggie

Oh am so excited about this trip after all your comments. I too am doing two contikis back to back thai hopper west on 30 nov and then onto beaches and reefs from cairns on 10dec. I havent looked into my injections yet though did they cost much @Dynamite J? I am doing one night pre-tour in Thailand as i am travellng solo and didnt wanna be there for too long on my own before the tour but am thinking now i should have done a few extra nights after the tour…….. The thai east was defo more appealing than the west but hopefully it will be just as good!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion