Community_discussions_small  

Question

whats the luggage allowance on contiki

23 Apr 2011 ClaireElise asked

ClaireElise

im buying a new luggage bag today and im curious whats the maximum limit?

• 24 Apr 2011 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

20kgs.

• 27 Apr 2011 BigCountry Williams said

BigCountry Williams

20kgs(44lbs) and 5kgs(12lbs) for your cary on!

• 14 May 2011 Rah911 said

Rah911

i’m also wondering is it alright if your bag is a couple of centimetres bigger than the specified 73cm X 50 X 25cm? For example would 74cm x 45cm x 26cm or 74cm x 52cm x 26cm be ok?

• 14 May 2011 BigCountry Williams said

BigCountry Williams

from what I hear that don’t enforce the size, Only the weight when you 1st start the tour!

• 18 Jun 2011 EmmaEmily said

Default_avatar

it says in the outline non expandable. is that just that we can’t use it expanded ON Contiki? but if it was able to be later on it’s still allowed??

• 21 Jun 2011 Racheee said

Racheee

Hi EmmaEmily,
    I have an expandable suitcase and was informed as long as it isn’t expanded on the tour and isn’t anymore then the dimension and stuff you should be fine!

• 5 Jul 2011 Explorer1257175 said

Default_avatar

are there dimension for the carry-on too?

• 29 Jul 2011 AusGurl24 said

AusGurl24

Does anyone know what the addtional costs are if your luggage is over the 20kgs?

• 29 Jul 2011 Racheee said

Racheee

Contiki won’t let you have anymore the 20kgs due to bus regulations I think! But if your over when you leave you’ll have to look at the airline that your going with to see what they charge :)
    Hope that helps! :)

• 29 Jul 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

You can’t bring extra luggage on tour, but you can pay to store it at the Contiki Basement.

I don’t think there are dimensions for the carry-on, but think of any coach/bus you’ve been on, the overheads and under the seat space are pretty tight. think backpack sized.

• 19 Aug 2011 Trent said

Trent

Don’t worry to much about the size of the bag, just get something close to the size they recommend. I had an expandable bag, slightly bigger than what was listed but in all honesty the morning we left there were 3 bus loads leaving at the same time, all they were doing was weighing the luggage, no one pulled out a tape measure at any stage. Just be aware you have a 20kg limit and it is strict, if it’s over you’ll need to go through your luggage again and ditch a few items or leave them at the basement. A good check, if you are there the day before drop into the basement with your luggage and do a test run on there scales, that way you know if you need to ditch anything or not. They didn’t weigh our hand luggage when we left so what a lot of us did was through heavy items like books and shoes into our hand luggage (backpack), then when we arrived the first night unpacked and put it back into our case.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.