Community_discussions_small  

Question

Hair Straightners/Dryers

24 Apr 2011 emmaATTEWELL asked

emmaATTEWELL

GIRLS!
I need help on packing... Just wondering if anyone has any advice on whether to pack these or not? I want to take my GHD but I don't want it to blow up or anything... Has anyone heard anything about GHD's ever blowing up? Thinking I should just maybe take my old hair straightner but it's not as good as my GHD...

• 24 Apr 2011 katie said

katie

hey i used to live in england and now im in Australia and i bought my ghds in england over 4 years ago and they still work amazing in Aus 3 years later! there isnt a big difference in the voltage so they will be fine!

• 25 Apr 2011 emmaATTEWELL said

emmaATTEWELL

Oh ok sweet thank you so much! I’m from australia and I’m heading to Europe so I want to take it I just don’t want it to blow up! Haha thank you!!

• 25 Apr 2011 ColdGhost said

ColdGhost

I’m a guy and use a hair straightener, I hope going through the airport won’t be too embarrassing…

• 14 May 2011 Tashi said

Tashi

THATS MY BIGGEST FEAR the taught of my ghd exploding in europe

• 14 May 2011 Tashi said

Tashi

one tip i read though is make sure your adaptor can handle the voltage whatever that means :-) also travel light i mean shampoo and conditioner is dirt cheap in places like italu espeacially brands like kerastase and elvive so you’ll look fabulous one thing i think you should do though is carry a travel mirror because that always comes in handy when 5 girls are trying to get ready in the sane room

• 19 May 2011 emmaATTEWELL said

emmaATTEWELL

Ooooo! Thank you! I won’t be packing too much smapoo and conditioner now! And thats a good point about taking a mirror, thanks!!!
    A friend also told me it will be fine taking my GHD… Something about Australian electronic stuff has the highest voltage so it can’t blow up? I didnt understand what she was saying but I’m just happy about taking my GHD now! Haha

• 14 Jun 2011 Sherri said

Default_avatar

I bought my GHDs over from NZ and they were fine. Its only if you came from somewhere like America to NZ/Australia that they would blow up as the voltage in AUS/NZ is a lot higehr than over there (if you took your GHDs to America they wouldnt heat up probably as the voltage is too low). Anyways if you will be in the UK/Ireland at all as well as the rest of Europe, remember that you will need two different types of adaptors as the sockets in Europe are a different shape to the ones in UK and Ireland. Also I took a travel hairdryer with me to save on space.

• 15 Jun 2011 Melissa said

Melissa

My hairdryer and straightener blew up in Italy because it couldn’t handle the voltage!! Next time I’m buying one there!!

• 16 Jun 2011 Chelsea said

Chelsea

I didn’t take my GHD with me on tour but I’ve been using my Australian GHD in the UK without any issues. I did take a travel hairdryer I got in Australia with me on tour but did not have any issues with voltage (though sometimes it is a fight for a power socket when four people are sharing a room!).

• 17 Jun 2011 Dimi_A said

Default_avatar

Im from australia and took my ghd with me, n i have no problems.You will b fine you just need a european adopter.

• 17 Jun 2011 Melissa said

Melissa

If your from Oz you’re good. Us Canadians (as well as Americans) have the smaller voltage! A lesson I learned the hard way Lol!

• 19 Jun 2011 Explorer1261043 said

Default_avatar

What about a hair dryer and straightener bought in the US? Problem with the voltage?

• 12 Jul 2011 Victoria said

Victoria

My straightener didnt blow up but as I used it on my hair it just burnt my hair and fell right off. I’m from Canada and used it in Italy…all I have to say is be very careful!

• 18 Aug 2011 Msdevine19 said

Msdevine19

Oh great question. I live in the us and have a Chi straightner. Any idea is those blow up? What if I buy a converter?

• 18 Aug 2011 Victoria said

Victoria

A converter only switches the electricity over but does not change the heat of it….i’m not 100% on how it works but its possible to overheat even on a low setting or at least that is what happened to mine and left me with a chunk of hair missing on the left side of my head. Where will you be going?

Msdevine19

Oh no really? I would cry. My straightner wasn’t cheap and it only has one setting. Not good. I’m going to Italy so I guess I will risk taking an older one or just buy one out there :(

• 18 Aug 2011 Victoria said

Victoria

I think buying a cheap one while on your trip would be best

• 18 Aug 2011 Lizbeth said

Lizbeth

I’m from the US as well and my sister and I are going on the European adventure this winter and we were discussing the same thing. Wether or not take or Chi straightners lol.

• 18 Aug 2011 Lizbeth said

Lizbeth

oooops i meant european discovery lol.

Msdevine19

@lizbetg- tough decision. I think I will risk taking an older one and if that doesn’t work, buying one out there.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion