Community_discussions_small  

Question

Hair Straightners/Dryers

24 Apr 2011 emmaATTEWELL asked

emmaATTEWELL

GIRLS!
I need help on packing... Just wondering if anyone has any advice on whether to pack these or not? I want to take my GHD but I don't want it to blow up or anything... Has anyone heard anything about GHD's ever blowing up? Thinking I should just maybe take my old hair straightner but it's not as good as my GHD...

• 27 Aug 2011 Fyrefly_Faerie said

Fyrefly_Faerie

Do the places the tours stop at have hair dryers to hire? I want to travel light and not blow things up :P

• 22 Oct 2011 ATLgirl said

Default_avatar

I did the Berlin to Budapest tour over the summer, and my roommate and I didn’t have any luck with our straightner. We didn’t worry about hair dryers because all of the hotels we were at provided dryers. They weren’t super powerful, but they were decent enough. As for straightners, that’s another story. My roommate used her converter and changed the voltage setting and plugged it in…then there was a shower of sparks from the outlet & the power in our room went out. We tried another time, and the same thing happened (luckily the hotel people were nice about it & got the power back on in our room right away). The sparks were kinda scary…needless to say, from then on we just borrowed our Australian tourmate’s straightner…those work fine with the voltage (just need the converter). If you do try to use yours, I wouldn’t use a nice one & go with a cheaper one instead. Hope this helps.

• 30 Oct 2011 hayley said

Default_avatar

hay im going on the european experience on the 23rd of april. wat date are you going ?

• 3 Nov 2011 StephJ07 said

StephJ07

does anyone know if there any power points at the camp sites for straightning hair if your doing one of the camping trips?

• 3 Nov 2011 Perth Traveller said

Perth Traveller

All of my campsites had plenty of power points. Some of the camping sites have quite good facilities

• 5 Nov 2011 Courtney said

Default_avatar

hey guys im a hairdresser in aussie and use a GHD every day and theres been girls from ireland come over with there hairdryers and GHDS and had no problem im taking mine with me and my hairdryer but i mean the only problem you should have is if the straightner its self shits itself haha. GHD is usally good like that and you can travel with it :) hope it has helped

• 13 Nov 2011 OzBob88 said

OzBob88

Im from England and going to America, and I have GHD hairstraightners – if i buy a USA plug adaptor, will they blow up? I dont really understand all the voltage stuff?! :-s

• 13 Nov 2011 Courtney said

Default_avatar

hi OzBob88 the best thing to do if you are unsure is to call GHD yourself and just ask they are usual pretty helpful (over here in australia they are) and they will be able to help you out with the best thing to do

• 13 Nov 2011 ChelseaFL said

Default_avatar

I just traveled to Europe from the US and I had no problems with my drier or straightener. I did buy a cheap straightener before I left, because I was scared to blow up an expensive one. I used a converter and an adaptor. With the converter, make sure you buy one that has a high enough wattage. They will all convert from 110- 220 volts, but the wattage needs to go up to at least 1875 (which is what most driers/ straighteners run at). The one I got had a lo/high setting, I used the low setting for things like chargers. I got mine at best buy, the one I saw at Walmart only went up to about 1500 watts. Good luck!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion