Community_discussions_small  

Question

What currency should I take to Vietnam??

25 Apr 2011 Leanne31 asked

Default_avatar

I'm confused between USD and the Vietnamese Dong .... can someone help me?!

Thanks!

• 26 Apr 2011 princess said

princess

Take USD, but convert to dong when you get there. It’s actually way easier and can work out cheaper in some areas, depending on what you’re buying. Most places we went would quote on USD or dong, but you can get it converted at all of the motels that contiki uses, and there’s currency places all over saigon and hanoi (as well as in the airports).

• 26 Apr 2011 Leanne31 said

Default_avatar

Thank you for your response! I know I have to pay USD to Contiki but wasn’t sure about the rest!

• 3 May 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Depending on where you are coming from, I know that Travelex has just started selling Vietnamese dong as well. Depending on what you want to do, I would also recommend getting a cash passport or a travel money card from your local commonwealth bank as you can load two currencies onto the one card (as you will get slogged for fees for withdrawing on your bank card sometimes i got charged $9 for a withdrawel) the one thing I did notice is the banks don’t want touch aussie dollars.

• 3 May 2011 princess said

princess

Haha, yeah, the conversion is touchy – in Vietnam they generally only take USD for exchange, and in Bangkok they won’t touch your dong, I had to wait until I got back to Australia to go from Dong → AUD.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion