Community_discussions_small  

Question

Egypt & The Nile June 17-25 2011?

11 May 2011 Care.ewok asked

Default_avatar

I'm doing this tour solo and wondering who else is going. I'm so excited!! :)

• 22 May 2011 AvenueMonde said

AvenueMonde

I will be going on this trip! When are you flying in?!!

• 25 May 2011 Care.ewok said

Default_avatar

Saturday night! :)

• 31 May 2011 Gash said

Default_avatar

My partner & I are doing this tour.. We arrive on the Saturday morning :) Can’t wait!!

• 13 Jun 2011 Luv2Travel said

Default_avatar

I would love to hear about the tour when you return. I’ll be going in August and just want to be reassured that everything is going well in Egypt. Can someone please let me know what you think once you return? Enjoy and have fun!

• 27 Jun 2011 AvenueMonde said

AvenueMonde

Hi Luv2Travel, I just got back from Egypt and it was one great trip. Our tour group didn’t really like Cairo that much (just because of the busyness and such) but you’re only there for one night then you make your way down south. Our tour guide was amazing (Sherif is the only one who takes care of Contiki tours) and he makes great suggestions. We did a Red Sea cruise and went snorkeling (this wasn’t listed as an optional activity) but was highly recommended by Sherif. Probably the highlight of the trip. Remember to take a ton of travelling medication and sunscreen with you-mostly everyone got sick in our group (i.e. motion sickness, vomiting, headaches and heat strokes). When Sherif says to buy snacks at the convenience stores-definitely listen to him because sometimes the food is quite dodgy. My roomy and I were enjoying our Pringles and pretzel sticks when the food didn’t sit well with us.

• 27 Jun 2011 Luv2Travel said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the reply, that’s great to hear! Can you tell me the options for communicating with family and friends? Was there internet at the hotel? Thanks again!

• 28 Jun 2011 AvenueMonde said

AvenueMonde

@ Luv2Travel, we got free wifi connection for like an hour or so when we stopped at a papyrus shop but otherwise, you have to pay for internet (anywhere from 1-2 bucks for an hour). Most people brought their iphones and set up roaming charges in their home countries. If you have a laptop or an android, you can easily skype with your family. Otherwise, I think you have only emailing left.
    ah also, Victoria hotel in Cairo has a ton of mosquitoes and there are spiders on the overnight train to Aswan so remember to bring bug spray. I just slept with a large beach towel on my bed and I was fine in both places while my travel mates got bitten on the face and legs. Also, remember to bring extra cash with you because there is a ton of tipping involved (in addition to the $25.00 tipping fee they will collect from you). It’s all part of culture and at most sightseeing places, they will ask you to pay if you want to use the toilet. Also, bring additional money just in case Sherif recommends the Red Sea Cruise. Do this-it’s so worth it!

• 2 Jul 2011 Luv2Travel said

Default_avatar

Did you exchange money there? When you tip and pay for excursions, did you pay in Egyptian money?

• 3 Jul 2011 AvenueMonde said

AvenueMonde

They take either US dollars or Egyptian pounds. Sherif will give you plenty of time to draw money from the atms-however, it will give you E. pounds. If you’re traveling from the states, I would just calculate all the optional tours and tipping fee with US dollars and take out about 800 E. pounds out. 1 US dollar= around 5 Egyptian pounds. On the cruise boat, you have to buy drinks (they don’t give you free drinks with your meals) and at certain sightseeing places, you have to pay extra tickets to see stuff (like the mummies in the Egyptian museum or King Tut’s mummy in the Valley of the Kings). Remember to exchange your money when you’re in Cairo before you leave because most currency exchange places don’t accept E. pounds once you leave the country.

• 4 Jul 2011 Nicki S said

Nicki S

Do you have to pay cash for the optionals or could you use a card? Your tips so far have been great, I go on this tour at the end of this week.

• 4 Jul 2011 AvenueMonde said

AvenueMonde

You can use your credit card to pay for the optionals. I’m not sure about the Red Sea Cruise as that was an option given by Sherif (Contiki tour guide) but the ones stated on the Contiki brochure can be covered by a credit card. On the first night, Sherif will recommend you guys which optional tours are worth taking. You pay everything the following morning to the Contiki office representative at the hotel.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion