Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spend or save? What did you do/What are you doing?

14 May 2009 BumbleBee asked

Default_avatar
I'm seriously considering going back to Europe in 2010, but there's one thing that's holding me back - money!

I know that I would be able to save up some spending money by the time I go, but I am thinking about getting a personal loan, or putting the flights and contiki tour on my credit card.

I saved for my last trip and it was great to come home without a debt, but I was wondering what other people have done or are planning to do??

Have you saved up for ages? Or do you think it's worth coming home to a small debt to be able to go when you want?
  • 14 May 2009 Mel said

Mel

i think its definately worth saving for it instead.. you dont have to worry about paying it off when you get home and then you can start saving for something new.. otherwise next time you want to take a trip it will take even longer to save for it!!
    plus you may aswell attempt to save atleast part of it.. and if u get stuck THEN you can take out a loan or whatever it is you plan to do!
    but thats just the way i would do it. i hate being in debt!

• 14 May 2009 Chris S said

Chris S

I personally don’t think it’d be worth going into debt for, it would be easier to enjoy yourself if you don’t have a debt looming over you.

• 15 May 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

I save up for the trip that I’m going on in June. That way if I get stuck I can fall back on credit cards etc. In this economy, I’d hate to take a trip and then have to worry about paying off the whole thing afterward.

• 15 May 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I save and make sure I have every dime for my trip covered before I go. Then when I go I put almost everything on a credit card when I can and pay it off immediately to get the rewards bonuses and to not pay fees to the bank.

I dont think I would ever travel if I could not afford it outright.

• 15 May 2009 marilourdes23 said

marilourdes23
    quote:
    Originally posted by BumbleBee:
    Have you saved up for ages? Or do you think it’s worth coming home to a small debt to be able to go when you want?

I’m new at this whole traveling thing, but in these times of economic crisis, I personally wouldn’t travel if I couldn’t afford it. I will be traveling in 2010 and am saving for my trip already. I will use my credit cards as my back up. I don’t want to come back in with a huge debt. I rather just little by little save for it and come back and relax…no debt stress! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 16 May 2009 KateS said

Default_avatar

I think ideally you’d save up… me on the other hand… I booked my trip for this June on a whim and will be going into quite a bit of debt for it, poor planning I guess. But I’m already in the UK and wanted to see some more of Europe just in case I don’t get over here again.

If, however, I do it again in the future I will definitely save up.

• 17 May 2009 MeganS24 said

Default_avatar

I know that everyone saved up, but I really wanted to go two summers ago but didn’t have the money saved up between going to school and paying for rent. Last summer didn’t bring enough money either. I decided life is too short, so I dug into my student loans. Sure I’ll have to pay it off later, but I’d rather pay it off then never go.

• 19 May 2009 SamJane said

Default_avatar

I’m going on the European Highlights tour – 29th July. I, too, have saved up. I wouldn’t bother taking a loan out.. What are you doing with the money you earn in the mean time??? If need be, get more jobs! I know there’s a ‘recession’ on but trust me, there are still jobs available.. I have four!
    Can’t wait to go though!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion