Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to pack of South Island New Zealand in June?

22 May 2011 Tricia asked

Default_avatar

What should I pack if I'm going to South Island New Zealand in June?

• 24 May 2011 revhead_145 said

Default_avatar

I have never been to NZ myself, but from what I read Queenstown only has a winter temp range of -2ºC to 10ºC. In oz I know the temps this year have been colder than normal (Canberra has been to -6.9ºC already… Coldest May morning ever and winter is yet to arrive!!!).

Exactly what you should take is up to you. If you feel the cold, pack thermals :-) If you are like me and don’t mind the cold pack less. As a rule for me I am only taking what I expect I will absolutely need. There are plenty of shops to get an extra jumper if I need one, but I don’t want to carry it if I don’t have to (mainly because after my trip I am going backpacking for another 8 days)

• 1 Jun 2011 Sherri said

Default_avatar

Hi, from NZ myself although not from the South Island. Thermals are your best bet (small, lightweight and keep you warm). Also pack a raincoat, emergency poncho or small umbrella (whatever takes you fancy) but it will be wet. Gloves and hat also wouldnt be a bad idea with the early starts you’ll have. Enjoy!

• 13 Jun 2011 JessSydneyExplorer said

JessSydneyExplorer

Hi,

what tour are you doing?

• 13 Jun 2011 Explorer1243948 said

Explorer1243948

Hey, I used to live in Christchurch and the south island is freezing cold in July. I would say thermals, thick hoodie, beanie, thick socks and lemsips and beroccas. It will probably snow in Queenstown and you will be miserable if you’re cold. Take a full waterproof raincoat with a hood also.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion