Community_discussions_small  

Question

BIG INDOCHINA ADVENTURE AUGUST 7TH 2011

24 May 2011 Kishen asked

Kishen

Any guys doing this tour?

• 25 May 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

Hi. Yeah im going to book this tour once I get paid this month!! Im from london, but I’m currently on a working holiday in Australia! Will be doing this trip before I head back home!

• 26 May 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

Ive booked this tour!!! cant wait!! need to sort out visa stuff! which website are you planning on using to apply for your vietnam visa?

• 26 May 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

Ive booked this tour!!! cant wait!! need to sort out visa stuff! which website are you planning on using to apply for your vietnam visa?

• 27 May 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

cool!! will get that sorted! thanks for the info!! Im gona be in bangkok a few days before the tour starts just to get settled etc and eat all the yummy food!!!!!

• 31 May 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

Cambodian Visas can be done on arrival as well, for only $20 US! Just got back from the Big Indochina Adventure :) If you have any questions let me know!

• 6 Jun 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

It was great! Very busy, but worth it! One thing I would recommend is HAND SANITIZER. Two little pocket-sized bottles should do… but at about 90% of the rest stops you go to there will be no toilet paper, and no sink/water to wash your hands with. The bathrooms are what you’d expect from poor countries, so if you want to keep your sanity/sanitation standards then bringing tissues & hand sani are a good idea!

I don’t usually wear hats, but I brought one and used it a lot. The brim kept the sun (and occasional rain) off my head and out of my eyes. Of course, you can always buy a conical hat for about $1! Do as the locals do :)

There are lots of cheap sunglasses to buy over there, but I think they are more for fashion. I highly doubt the lenses are polarized/provide much UV protection, so I would bring an inexpensive pair from home for the sunny days. Of course, sunscreen is a must!

I paid big bucks for my visa photos back home, and then found out that you can get them for a couple US$ in Thailand. If you ask your tour manager they can let you know where to go.

I also brought a couple of nicer outfits on the advice of other travelers, and found that I did actually wear them! There are some nicer dinners, as well as nights out on the town, so a non-wrinkle dress or a nice shirt & khakis for a guy will come in handy.

Oh, and TEMPLE WEAR! You need to cover your shoulders, and in some places all the way to your ankles. Women can usually pick up some loose, flowing pants in Bangkok, but it seemed like men’s wear was harder to come by… so I’d bring something just in case.

We got to do laundry about 4 times in the trip, so bring enough to wear for a week & you should be good to go. Laundry was about $2-$4/kg on average at the places we did it.

Anyway that’s all for now… HAVE FUN! :)

• 6 Jun 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

WOW!! Thanks for the advice!!! looking forward to the trip. I guess a raincoat will also be handy as it will be the rainy season when we go!
    Seems like you had a good time!!

• 9 Jun 2011 Explorer1258492 said

Default_avatar

Hi all,
    My best friend and I just booked the August 7th Big Indochina adventure, and we are both from California. I was really excited to read what AshleyJayne had to write about her travels- very helpful suggestions, thanks for that! Looking forward to meeting those of you who are going on this trip as well. Katie

• 12 Jun 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

maybe we shud all organise a meet up in bangkok before the tour starts…maybe the friday night before or saturday?

• 12 Jun 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

hey guys was just wondering about vaccinations. I was reading online that hep A vaccination is usually recommended due to poor toilet hygeine and cooking facilities….i will prob get a vaccination against hep a.
    are u guys planning on getting any other vaccinations?
    Kishen

• 13 Jun 2011 Treborcd said

Treborcd

Hey,
    I’m on the Asian Adventure tour that leaves Bangkok on August 7th, the itinerary looks identical to the first 13 days or so of the Indochina tour that leaves the same day. Any idea if we’re all one big group for that time?

• 13 Jun 2011 AshleyJayne said

AshleyJayne

Yes the big Indochina is just the Asian adventure and Vietnam experience combined!

• 14 Jun 2011 Treborcd said

Treborcd

I get in August 3rd, meeting up before would be great.

• 10 Jul 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

hey guys shall we organise a meet in bangkok? maybe the friday before the tour starts…any ideas on where to meet, day etc…..

• 11 Jul 2011 Treborcd said

Treborcd

Yeah, that Friday sounds good. How about a hostel/hotel lobby somewhere? They’re usually not too hectic and even if we’re not all staying there it’s not out of place to stand there waiting. Maybe the hotel (don’t know the name) that the tour is starting from on Sunday? That way we’ll also know for sure where it is.

• 12 Jul 2011 Kishen said

Kishen

yeah friday sounds good. The hotel is called the Viengtai Hotel. Lets meet at the reception/lobby at 6pm…then we can head out for food and drinks!!! my mobile number is +447732098832
    Kishen

• 12 Jul 2011 Treborcd said

Treborcd

Awesome, my #’s: 1-781-572-1567, see ya then.

• 17 Jul 2011 Explorer1268070 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I’m doing the Asian Adventure and I’d love to meet up with you guys ahead of time in Bangkok. I fly in on the 4th and I’d be happy to meet up with you guys on Aug 5th if that’s cool :). Thanks Treborcd for letting me know about this discussion forum! Any chance anyone else is also staying at the NapPark Hostel or close to there? It got good reviews on www.hostelworld.com and it appears to be only about a block from the hotel where our tour starts.

• 17 Jul 2011 Treborcd said

Treborcd

I’m staying at the NapPark hostel for the few days before the trip starts. I did the same thing, just went to hostelworld.com and saw its ratings were real good. Didn’t originally even realize how close it is to the Viengtai.

• 17 Jul 2011 Explorer1268070 said

Default_avatar

Treborcd we should chat. Shoot me an email at kns@alumni.sfu.ca

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion