Community_discussions_small  

Question

Sept 4th Greece + 3 day Greek Island Cruise

28 May 2011 JulieInSanDiego asked

JulieInSanDiego

Hi! I just booked the Spotlight on Greece plus 3 day Greek Island Cruise departing September 4th today! This will be my 1st trip with Contiki and I'm very excited. Is there anyone else out there that's signed up for this? In talking to the travel agent today he said the trip is for sure a go, so I hope there are some others out there wanting to connect before the trip. Looking forward to meeting you and our adventure!

• 8 Jun 2011 S t e f f said

S t e f f

Hi Julie, I think i’ve booked the same trip: spotlight on greece and 3 day island cruise.. however its departing on the 5th of September.. i’m thinking this is just a time difference between countries. I’m from Australia and travelling alone, so I would love to get to know others doing this trip. Are you going alone or with friends/partner?
    cheers, steff :)

• 9 Jun 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi Steff! Great to meet you!
    I think the dates are different becasue of countries. I’m coming from the US, so I’m departing on the 4th and arriving in Athens on the morning of the 5th to start the tour. I’m traveling single too. This is my first trip with Contiki. What about you? I’ve seen a lot of posts on here from Australians, so I’m assuming this is a popular company for travel from your country.

• 9 Jun 2011 S t e f f said

S t e f f

Nice to meet you too, glad to have finally found someone haha. Yeah contiki is quite popular here, everyone knows of them. This is my first contiki trip, although i am also going on the European vista before this tours starts :) so excited!! I am doing both solo, your the only person I know of doing the spotlight and 3 day cruise.. So Its a little comforting to know your going solo as well. Have you been on an overseas trip before?

• 13 Jun 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Yep, it seems there isn’t much discussion on this trip yet. Maybe since it’s still a couple of months away. I have been to England France & Germany all when I was 14 (so about 15 years ago). I’ve also taken a cruise down the Mexican Riviera, that was more recently about 6 years ago. I travel a lot within the US for work, but I thought it was about time I treated myself to an adventurous vacation.

You are a real trouper to do 2 big trips by yourself. I can’t wait to see what this is all like. I’ve read many reviews on the web, both positive and negative. At this point I think nothing is going to beat just getting on the trip and experiencing it. Then I can give my own review at the end.

What about you for travel? Ever been to the US or abroad somewhere else?

• 22 Jun 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

:) I’ll be with you guys for the first part of the trip, I booked the 7 days cruise, I am also travelling alone, 73 days to go before departure. So Julie, nice to meet you, I am from Canada and I just cannot wait for the trip to start :)

• 28 Jun 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi Steff and Milou,
    Just wondering when people are arriving in Athens on the 5th? My flight gets in around 10:30am. I’m watching the news about the riots and hoping the will be over by the time we go. Just in case they aren’t though I was starting to think about the possibility of sharing a taxi with someone to the hotel. From what I’ve heard and read it costs about 50 Euros for the cab ride compared to less than 15 for the train or bus. If the riots continue though, there might not be public transportation running. I know it is a long way off, but I’m particularly thinking about it becasue I’m going to be alone and in a foreign country! :o) Hope you are both well!

• 28 Jun 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Yes, the riots have been worrying me a little as well. My plane actually gets in sometime after 7am, That’s totally going to be a long night …. If the meeting at the airport doesn’t work, we can meet at the hotel afterwards and plan some sightseeing, as we don’t have the offical meeting until later that night. I believe Steff is arriving sometime in the morning as well….

• 5 Jul 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi Steff and Milou! I emailed the hotel for the first night in Athens. A woman emailed me back saying there are currently no riots and that things are back to normal.

• 5 Jul 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Oh wow That’s great! Thanks Julie! How did you know what Hotel to email though? I’m trying to book the 3 nights after the trip in Athens and would rather have the same hotel….

• 5 Jul 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

When I booked with Contiki, the agent sent me an email with an attachment that has our hotel list on it. If you want to message me your email address I can forward it to you.

• 5 Jul 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Oh thats pretty kool!!! I booked directly with Contiki and didn’t get any of that! I’ll message you my address right away, thanks again :D

• 15 Jul 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Hey girls! Today marks 50 days before departure!!! I’m still very excited and to make things worse, I booked my Hotel for my nights in Athens after the trip and a couple extra activities as well :) I wanted to share what i found while looking up stuff on Expedia (I love using them to book stuff) I found a transport company from the Airport to the Hotel (whatever Hotel in the area) and I was able to book it and pay for it round-trip, in advance. All in all it was like 46$. I thoguht that was very reasonable, as I really wasn’t sure about taking public transport with my luggage or paying 50 Euros 1 way or something. So that works for me, they have departure every 30 min or so, from the airport, and then since I’m gonna pay my credit card bill ebfore I leave, that’s one less worry on my mind and my budget :)

• 21 Jul 2011 jessica said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone, my name is Jessica, I am from Canada.
    I am booked on the Spotlight only portion, starting 5th in Greece. I also booked the 14 day Greek island hopping right before this tour (so i can give you lots of advice and tips on the islands).
    So I will be in athens all day on the 5th as my tour ends that morning, so once a couple of you get to the hotle we should all meet up and explore till our group meeting, which is usually around 6pm.
    This is my 5th and 6th contiki tour (3 others in europe / 1 in USA) done all but one of them alone.

• 22 Jul 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi Jessica & Cari! I’m so glad that you found our group on here and that you have been on Contiki trips before. I trust that since you’re both going again you’ve liked your previous experiences.

Milou (who is also on this thread) is planning to start a list of arrival times to the hotel for those of us that want to catch up on the 5th before the dinner.

Looking forward to meeting all of you soon! Feel free to find me on facebook too. Email is julzinsd@gmail.com.

• 22 Jul 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Yep, as I’ve said on the other thread, I started writing down everybody’s names and when they are arriving in Athens, so we could have a general meeting time at the Hermes Hotel on the 5th :) I’ll keep everyone posted (so far there is 8 of us, either on the 3 days cruise or the 7 days cruise) and then we can meet up and spent the afternoon together before the group meeting :)

• 22 Jul 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

I’ve created a facebook group for us and I think you can get to it at this link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/166732120066799?ap=1 I’m not a pro at facebook though, so if you can’t get to it just let me know and I’ll try again.

• 6 Aug 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi! Our trips are getting very close. I got my travel docs today. So I’m bumping us up to the top to see if we get any more tourmates.

Does anyone know if Contiki provides transportation when return to the port after the cruise?
    Don’t forget to find our facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/166732120066799/

• 22 Aug 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Hi everyone, just wanted to make a note here, most of us from the Spotlight (+3/7 days) will be arriving in Athens Sunday the 4th or early morning Monday the 5th, so we have decided to try and all meet at the Hermes hotel, for noon. Some of us will probably meet earlier, but noon seemed like a reasonable time for checking-in and then trying to group up. I am not exactly sure where we will meet, the obvious places are the lobby, the bar or even the roof (if it’s open) but I am sure it will be easy to figure it out once we get there (I might even tell reception where to meet, it always helps). I have a lost of 15 names all joining a part of another of this trip, with at least 10 willing to meet up early on Monday. Can’t wait!!!

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1284163 said

Explorer1284163

I am coming from California, USA, starting 4th sep and reaching Athens afternoon of 5th. If anyone reaching Athens around 2 pm can meet me to share ride to hotel Helmes. If not then we meet at 7 PM I guess at Helme Hotel.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.