Community_discussions_small  

Question

Has anyone had their luggage lost by the airline?

2 Jun 2011 ReneeQ asked

ReneeQ

I'm concerned about my checked bag being lost/misplaced/delayed by the airline. Has this ever happened to anyone? With the tour changing cities/countries so often I'm worried about it "finding" me. Any advice would be appreciated :)

• 4 Jun 2011 joe_bloggs said

joe_bloggs

hi there,

my luggage got lost back in 2009 just before I was due to start a 18 day contiki trip. I was coming from Australia and the reason my luggage got lost was because the flight from Dubai to London was cancelled due to mechanical failure. All the passengers had to be transferred to different flights and hence my luggage didn’t arrive when I did. It didn’t help that I got to London at 9pm with the tour being due to start 7 the next morning. I thought about skipping the start of the tour and waiting for my luggage to arrive but the guys at contiki convinced me that I should start the tour.

I started the tour with my backpack but I managed to pick up a small shoulder bag, some clothes and some essentials along the way. The tour guide was very helpful and was in contract with the airline on my behalf as I didn’t have a phone. Once my bag was finally located, the tour guide advised the airline to send my bags to Florence which was about three days away. Once we got to Florence, I took a cab to the airport and picked up my luggage. This was about 8 days into the trip.

My advice is get in to your destination at least a day early in case anything happens. Lost luggage is covered by insurance and you could just buy a small bag and all the stuff you need until your bags arrive. Just make sure you hold on to the receipts so you can claim the money back on insurance. Arriving the extra day early also allows your luggage a chance to arrive. Also, take direct flights where possible and keep hassling the airline in case you do lose your luggage otherwise they won’t bother contacting you.

Hope that helps.
    Joe

• 11 Jun 2011 ReneeQ said

ReneeQ

Thanks so much! I’m definitely less worried now. My flight is direct so I shouldn’t have an issue, and I’m glad that the tour managers can help out.

• 24 Jan 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

Once.Coming back from Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide close to ten years ago via Singapore.I was covered by Insurance and while I made my connecting flight with just under an hour to spare one of my bag’s didn’t it arrived home a day or two after me through a flight to Perth connecting onwards home so all turned out well in the well.

• 26 Jan 2013 NadineC said

NadineC

Ive worked for an airline and also at an international check in- when you check your bag in they will give you a little “receipt”… its a little sticker that also comes off the bag sticker. they have the same number and barcode. it even has your name on it, as does the sticker on the bag. It has all the flight numbers and cities you will go through- as long as you booked all the flights at the one time and are on an interline agreement. Usually the check in lady will stick it to the back of your ticket or passport, ect. They scan the bag downstairs, every bag on a flight MUST have a passenger attached to it. Every city it passes though, it must be scanned. Loosing bags these days is rare. Keep that sticker, and they should be able to trace its every move and know where it is. Even if it somehow gets ‘stuck’ in a country you should get it within 24-48 hours. When you get to the final airport if it doesnt come through- go straight to the lost baggage counter, give them that little sticker and they will do the rest. It is really really rare these days for anything to go wrong!!

• 20 Aug 2013 craigrachow said

craigrachow

awesome to know nadinec!
    thanks

• 20 Aug 2013 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

If could definitely happen, especially if you have to transfer. You should be fine on a direct flight though.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.