Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern (NY - LA) March 2012

6 Jun 2011 Erica88 asked

Default_avatar

So I know this is ages away but is anyone else looking at doing this departure date? I will be doing the Grand Southern from New York to LA on 2 March, spending some time in Canada and NY pre-tour and 2 weeks around LA post tour.

It'll be my second contiki experience, my first being in 09 with my then boyfriend in Europe for 21 days, but this time I'm travelling solo so would be awesome to meet some people going before hand!

Cheers
Erica :)

• 9 Jun 2011 Gage said

Gage

hey i’m Gage from Western Australia and am looking at going over at the same time havent booked anything yet though. Just trying to decide whether to do LA to NY or NY to LA.

• 9 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Hey Im from WA too. I wanted to be in Canada during the end of Winter hence why my trip begins in Canada as I’m going for 8 weeks – and a friend I made on the last contiki i did lives in Toronto which is close to NY :)

I havent booked yet either, will do in September at the latest to get the early discount. Are you just going over for the contiki?

• 13 Jun 2011 *Amy* said

*Amy*

hey erica, Im 22 from NSW, Im either looking to go on a tour now or about that time next year.. prob gunna be next year though caz I would prefer to plan it properly.. I def wanna do this tour in america, but also thinking about doing one in europe, I wanna do like 2 or 3 months all up… how do you feel about travelling solo

• 13 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Hey Amy, awesome that your looking at Europe too! I did European Vista in Europe and loved it. 8 weeks is the max i could stretch my holidays out to. I feel fine about the contiki part of going solo, there was plenty of singles on my last tour and everyone all got along great. We met a lot of people on these forums and facebook before the tour which was cool.

The rest of the trip I’m a little nervous about though, never travelled solo or stayed in backpackers etc but I figure at least I speak the language there! I assume your travelling solo or….?

• 14 Jun 2011 *Amy* said

*Amy*

Hey.. yeah I more then likely will be doing it solo.. I never thought I would even consider it, but I wanna see more of the world and the most of my friends have kids so I’m the only one really in the position to go.. How long are you planning on spending in NY and LA before and after.. I would also like to do this as well, I hear there awsome cities and you def need to spend time in them. I’m most nervous about the plane alone and the airport and finding the meeting spot lol.. Those parts I would def prefer the company haha.

• 15 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Yeh I am the same, people even said they would come, but I knew they wouldn’t so I am not waiting around for them to want to see the world!

Well I plan on having at least 3 days in New York before (prob 4 nights) and when I finish in LA my Mum Dad Sister and her BF have actually decided to come over and meet me there to do LA and Las Vegas area for 2 weeks – so I’ll be 6 weeks solo then 2 weeks with them. Going to do Disneyland first up! How about you, if you end up picking this tour we could meet in NYC before.

I think I will suss out where the tour departs from and stay in that hotel the night before. Thats what I did in London, cause you have to meet at like 6am so it’s easy to just go downstairs than make your way across a foreign city and freak out about missing the bus!

• 15 Jun 2011 *Amy* said

*Amy*

hey.. yer thats exactly what I would do too hey.:). stay in NYC for a few nights at the departing hotel, so we could def meet up and go out and have a few drinks and see the sights… plus I am also thinking of asking my sister to come over for a week after too to LA Vegas area.. we have always wanted to do this kinda thing but she has a 2 year old so pretty restricted..

hey.. yer thats exactly what I would do too hey.:). stay in NYC for a few nights at the departing hotel, so we could def meet up and go out and have a few drinks and see the sights… plus I am also thinking of asking my sister to come over for a week after too to LA Vegas area.. we have always wanted to do this kinda thing but she has a 2 year old so pretty restricted..What do you think the weather would be like in March.. everyone tells me to do a summer one but i think spring would be ok too.? are you already booked…

hey.. yer thats exactly what I would do too hey.:). stay in NYC for a few nights at the departing hotel, so we could def meet up and go out and have a few drinks and see the sights… plus I am also thinking of asking my sister to come over for a week after too to LA Vegas area.. we have always wanted to do this kinda thing but she has a 2 year old so pretty restricted..What do you think the weather would be like in March.. everyone tells me to do a summer one but i think spring would be ok too.? are you already booked…Also sorry for all the questions lol, but where would you be flying out from.?

• 16 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Sounds good :) Well I think NYC will be pretty chilly but then it will begin to warm up as we go…I think! Must check out the average temps everywhere so I know what to expect/bring! NYC in March 1-9 degrees but then like Miami is 16-26 degrees so it will get better. I did Europe in Summer which was great, but was interested to do something different and see snow in Canada and probably even NYC! So thought the end of winter/spring would be cool.

I havent booked but I will before it gets 6months before so i get the earlybird discount (every cent counts!). Depends what you mean by flying out….I will have to go via Sydney to get to Vancouver, where I am going first, but coming home I think I will be flying out from Las Vegas as we are going back there once we have seen LA (my family & I). You?

• 17 Jun 2011 *Amy* said

*Amy*

what kind of a discount do you get for paying 6 months in advance.. I havent seen it anywhere.. omg i wanna go to miami lol.. What do you do for work anyhow..

I will be flying out from Syd, and flying back from either Vegas or La..

• 17 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Hmm I can’t remember exactly but it was a couple hundred when I booked 6months before my Europe one.

I’m an Events Coordinator :) lots of fun, and very rewarding. Not to say I don’t work my ass off at times!! How about you, what do you do? Do you have Facebook? Might be able to PM you details to add? Hopefully closer to the time more people will decide to do this tour & check out this forum.

• 17 Jun 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

http://contiki.com.au/pages/1582-usa-mexico-epd-deal

• 18 Jun 2011 *Amy* said

*Amy*

hey thanks for that… events coordinator, I would love that job I did think about doing it for a bit.. I work in property management..I havent been in it that long so Im keeping it on the downlow that I plan to travel, until a lot closer to the date…I would prob be fired, caz its not really a job you can take alot of time off, but its just so important to do this y we r young, so its a risk im willing to take…

my fb is amy_mb26@hotmail.com, my pics r really old lol, I really need to update..

• 4 Jul 2011 Boy from oz said

Boy from oz

hey hows it going. im from perth and looking at doing this tour. with 15 days of pre tour (toronto buffalo boston) and 30 ish days of after tour travel (west coast and cancun) i done the ultimate european (45days) last year it was amazing def recommend it if any one is heading to europe. booking this tour very soon!.

• 4 Jul 2011 Erica88 said

Default_avatar

Hey! That’s a lot of traveling you have planned, I could only squeeze 8 weeks out of work :-( I’m booking the tour soon too, get it locked in I can’t wait. Are you traveling solo too?

Boy from oz

sure am. best way to do it i reckon :) im going for about 2 1/2 months :) so yeah squeezing as much in as possible. is there a fb page yet that u know of ?

Default_avatar

Yeh I thought 8 weeks would be a long time since it’s double the time I had in Europe but now I’m just fitting in what I wana do into a very condensed trip! No Facebook group yet, although Amy & I have been chatting in fb. So feel free to make one :-) I’m excited to go by myself this time round!

Boy from oz

tyrone catlin if u wanna add me :)

• 4 Jul 2011 Gage said

Gage

I should definatley be on this tour as long as work gives me the holidays. looking to spend a week in NY before the tour and a week in LA after. Planning to travel with a couple of mates. Hopefully book soon.

Gage

Default_avatar

Good luck with your work Gage, hope to see you back!

• 22 Jul 2011 Gage said

Gage

contiki booked for this tour gonna be travelling with two mates spending a week in LA and about 4 days in NY before the tour and another 2 in LA after the tour :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.