Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spotlight on Greece, + 3-day Greek Island Cruise?

10 Jun 2011 HermioneJane611 asked

HermioneJane611

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on going on the Spotlight on Greece +3-day Greek Island Cruise trip this August (2011), departing on the 7th, and I was wondering who I would be traveling with. This is my first time going with a group of strangers, and I've never traveled alone before (always with friends or family or school etc.).

I'm 26 years old, female, and from NYC. I'm really excited about this trip, and really glad I found this website!

Cheers,
Jamie

• 15 Jun 2011 JulieInSanDiego said

JulieInSanDiego

Hi Jamie,
    I’m going on the same trip, but not until Sept 4th. I’d love to know how your trip was when you get back. Feel free to contact me here or at julzinsd@gmail.com. Thanks! -Julie

• 2 Jul 2011 scamp86 said

scamp86

Hi Jamie.

I’m going on this tour but I thought it was leaving the 8th aug??? LOL anyway I’ve never travelled before and I’m doing this tour with my sister (she’s travelled before but never to greece)
    I’m 25yrs old and from Australia.
    I’m starting to get excited now that it’s getting closer & closer :)

Sarah :)

• 4 Jul 2011 HermioneJane611 said

HermioneJane611

Julie: I’ll definitely let you know how my trip goes! I plan to post some photos and stuff on here, but I’ll send you an email as well with some details as well.

Sarah: I think it’s the same trip, but mine leaves a day earlier because of the travel time. The tour itself doesn’t start until my “day 2” in Athens, but when I book it– because I’m coming from NYC– it says it departs on the 7th. I’ll be arriving in Athens on August 8th at like 10:30AM, so I reckon I’ll get to the hotel sometime around noon. Do you know when you’re getting in yet?

How old is your sister? Has she ever traveled with Contiki before? What part of Queensland are you guys from? I visited Australia with an ex of mine in 2008, and I had a great time. We didn’t see the entire country, of course, but we did do quite a bit (we were there for almost a month).

If you want to chat about anything specific– now that we’ve introduced ourselves– go ahead and send me a private message on here. I tend to write a lot (as you may have noticed), and I think we should keep this thread a bit more restricted to intros.

Cheers,
    Jamie

• 6 Jul 2011 Rebecca9454 said

Rebecca9454

Hi all, I’m going on the Sept 18th one with my sis. I’ve done a lot of tours, just not with this company. I hope its a good one!!! I’m 27, live in SoCal.

• 7 Aug 2011 malissa said

malissa

Rebecca… I’m also going on the sept 18th trip! I’m going by myself and would love to know someone when I get there. 31, Minnesota.

• 17 Aug 2011 Marilou said

Marilou

Hey Everyone, for those who came back, how was it???? I’ll be doing the Spotlight on Greece + 7 days cruise starting Sept 4th myself.. I really can’t wait. I’ll be staying an extra weekend by myself in Athens from the 16th to the 19th, so if anyone is in Athens at the time, we can meet up :)

• 20 Aug 2011 HermioneJane611 said

HermioneJane611

My tour was excellent! I had a great time, until it was time to come back. (Aside from my vacation being over, my flight was delayed 9 hours, my connection delayed 7 hours, and so I got home a day late, having not slept in AGES.) Anyway, my tour manager was Alessandra, who was very organized and friendly, and made sure everything went smoothly. The majority of my group, which was about 45 people, was split between Canadians and Australians, all of whom were really cool. The sights were amazing, of course, but don’t expect to sleep in. I was up by 6AM on a daily basis. Since you need time to get from point A to point B, you’ve gotta have a full day, and because it’s so hot and crowded later in the day, they try to get you to the sights as early as possible.

If you’re doing the THREE day cruise, by the way, you will NOT need any formal wear for the cruise. You will probably be going to a small club for a few hour in Delphi, so make sure you have something comfortable to dance in. But the formal night on the ship is only for the 7-day cruisers. Just FYI!

Let me know if you’ve got any other questions!

• 21 Aug 2011 scamp86 said

scamp86

Jamie you are right it was awesome! glad you had a good time :) I can’t believe about all your flight delays!!!!!!! its good to have an extra day off work but NOT….i repeat NOT when its spent on a plane or waiting around in airports :(

our trip home was long & i was lucky enough (please not the sarcastic tone used here) to get sick with the flu the morning we left. if it had to happen i’m glad it was at the end of the trip i guess:(

to everyone else who is taking this tour you will love it! Jamie is definately right about the early starts but believe us it’s worth it in the end if you get to be one of the first tour groups going through the museums etc because it certinly gets real crowded, real quick! Another point to remember (which everyone already knows of course) but just be very conscious of pickpocketers! we had 1 person in our group get done and lost his wallet as he was coming to the hotel for our first group meeting before the tour even started! :( just be mindful and take care especially at the monuments & museums as there are sooooo many ppl everywhere!

also Jamie is right about the formal wear….we didn’t need to on the cruise at all for the 3 day tour (even though contiki will tell you the opposite) but you will need it if you’re doing the 7day! And yes we did go to a club one of the nights in delphi which was fantastic but i’m guessing that outing totally depends on your tour manager so definately pack something to wear out dancing just in case :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.