Community_discussions_small  

Question

Anyone here done Contiki Asia?

10 Jun 2011 JWI asked

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,
I did a contiki in the USA at the end of last year and loved it, had the best time ever. I was wondering if people can give me some advice on doing a Contiki in Asia. One of my friends said that it's better to go with another company like gecko or Intrepid cause Contiki hasn't been doing Asia for as long and doesn't have the connections however I love Contiki and the Big Indochina adventure looks awesome so who would recommend Contiki for Asia and can you justify why?

Thanks,
Jess

• 10 Jun 2011 kirsty_nz said

Default_avatar

i’m heading on the Big Indochina next week!!! it is my first contiki tour and i’m going solo, so i shall let you know how it goes when i return! I have heard the same about intrepid etc, but from what i can figure out they are more budget/backpacking tours with less included but for a lot cheaper. so it just depends what sort of trip you’re after i guess :)

• 10 Jun 2011 JWI said

Default_avatar

Hi kirsty_nz,
    I went on my first contiki tour solo, best way to travel in my opinion. I’d love to know how you go with it mate, until then have a safe trip and enjoy yourself :)

Jess

• 11 Jun 2011 Hannah said

Default_avatar

Hey Jess
    I have done Contiki in the US and Europe and am heading off on the Big Indochina in November. I looked at interpid and gap adventures for similar trips but once I worked out the inclusions and extra meals etc I decided Contiki was better value for money and because I’ve done them before I had some idea of what to expect. On face value the others are cheaper but there are a lot more added costs once you’re on the road. I guess it just depends what kind of trip your looking at doing. Whatever you decide I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time

• 13 Jun 2011 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

Hey Jess,
    I have done the Asian Adventurer this past February. I didnt do the full tour. So here’s what I can tell you about Contiki vs Gap vs Intrepid. We have bumped into several tour groups along the way ie. Intrepid. Their itinerary is almost exactly like the Contiki’s. I found that the age group is quite large, 19-60 years old and you can see they have cliques especially their age. The reason why I choose Contiki is because everyone is roughly in the same age, and want to do what young people want to do. I know Contiki has a reputation of a being a huge pub crawl. But for myself and a few others. We did the local stuff. And enjoyed the nightlife in each city/town til usually 2am. Everything closes early there. Its how you make of it.

Also you mentioned that Contiki has not been long in the Asia tours. Its true. But everything went smoothly, since they use local guides, Some of the best hotels in Asia and very close to the city centre. I would say the SEA tours are Contiki’s best kept secret. And everytime some asks me about SEA I recommend Contiki.

ps. im not affiliated with Contiki. Just a regular traveller having a good time.

Cheers,
    Ryan

• 13 Jun 2011 JWI said

Default_avatar

Thanks heaps Ryan, I really appreciate your feedback :)

• 30 Jun 2011 Cherry said

Default_avatar

Hey JWI, I just got home over a month ago from my first contiki’s ever. I did the East Island Hopper and the Asian Adventure, I went solo and ended up extending my trip even longer. The tours are amazing and Contiki definitely knows what there doing in Asia. There wasnt a day on Contiki that i was bored. I totally fell in love with Thailand im, already booked to head back, Im doing the West island hopper on October 1, even though this is the first time this tour is running, i know it will be amazing it was the first time the east tour ran too and it was the time of my life!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.