Community_discussions_small  

Question

Sunshine Trail w/ Whitsundays Sailing 9/4/2011

10 Jun 2011 Nick asked

Nick

Starting in Surfer's Paradise from 9/4 to 9/18 this year and ending in Cairns. I'm booked for this and it looks like a definite departure so who else is going?

I'm Nick from California and I just started scuba diving this year, so I'll be doing the scuba option on this tour. Any other divers going? Or anyone game for a new challenge?

This is my first time going to Oz, but I've watched Crocodile Dundee 1 & 2 about a thousand times so I know what I'm doing...just kidding. This is also my first trip completely solo. Anybody else going by themself?

• 23 Jun 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also going on this tour. I have never been to OZ either and it has been a dream of mine since I was little so I am pretty much up to try anything. I am Kimberly from RI and I am traveling solo as well.

• 25 Jun 2011 Nick said

Nick

Pleasure to meet you Kimberly from RI!!! Glad to finally meet someone who’s going on this tour also. Well, you should definitely give scuba diving a try- it’s so much fun and I need a dive buddy :)

• 25 Jun 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

nice to meet you as well. I will deff give it a try! I am actually really bummed I only have 2 weeks because I was just looking at some friends photos on fb who have been there and the outback looks amazing as well!

• 5 Jul 2011 Nick said

Nick

I know what you mean. There’s so much to see that I’m not going to get a chance to see this trip. Did you do the Sailing option?

• 6 Jul 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

YES!!!!!!! that is the part I am looking forward to the most. Question about how much money would you suggest bringing?

• 6 Jul 2011 Nick said

Nick

That’s what I’ve been trying to figure for myself. Contiki suggests budgeting about $80 Australian (about $85 American) a day, but that’s going to vary depending on your habits (shopping, drinking, eating, etc.). I want to have enough to do a few extra crazy things like bungy jumping or white water rafting, so I’m kind of setting aside my “crazy fund” including scuba diving. I’m setting a baseline of $100 a day for myself, but I expect to come under that most days…unless I find a drinking buddy haha.

But all things said, with the meals and activities that are included and the beaches being free, I’m sure you could get away with just buying lunch and maybe some drinks at the end of the day. Talking about this trip is making me more and more excited to get on with it already! :) About 60 more days and it’s adventure time Kim!!!

• 28 Jul 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

Hey Nick quick question, what are your flights from LA to Brisbane? Also how do we get to the hotel once we arrive in Brisbane since we need to all meet at Surfers paraidise. I have seen a lot of comments about people meeting up with the tour half way in or at certain stops…i thought we stayed on tour through the whole thing? Thanks

• 29 Jul 2011 Nick said

Nick

Hey Kimberly, I fly out of LA Sunday night around 11 and arrive to Brisbane Tuesday morning around 6. According to the itinerary we stay on tour every day, but have plenty of free time where we can go do our own thing if we wish. I know we’re on our own the first day and I have an extra day after because you need to wait 24 hours to fly after you scuba dive. I went through a travel agent and she booked me a room for the first night and the last night and according to her transfers are not included from airport to hotel. Shuttle is about 39.00 from airport to hotel. We’re supposed to get our itineraries about 14 days before we leave and I’m sure everything will be broken down (hopefully). I’ll be laid over for about 2 hours in LA. What are your flights?

• 30 Jul 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

hey,
    i am leaving LA on the 4th at about 11:20 P.M. then I arrive in Brisbane on the 6th i am not sure exactly what time. Then I am going to take that shuttle I guess to the hotel. I was just confused if we stay all together or no throughout the entire thing. Then I am leaving on the 16th early in the morning and staying with a friend in LA. I leave on the 18th from LA back to RI. i saw a bunch of peoples respnoses and they were saying how they are meeting up at different parts of the tour or staying with friends which confused me cause I thought we all stayed together.

• 31 Jul 2011 Nick said

Nick

Sounds like we’re leaving on the same flight. I started reading around the forums a bit more and now I’m confused haha. The itinerary states that we have accommodation every night and I know those that choose the sailing option will obviously be broken up from those who don’t. I’m also doing a quad share to shave some of the costs, so I’ll be bunking with 3 other people; except on the sailboat, it’ll be a dual share. That’s about all I know. I’m kind of looking forward to the mystery of how this is all going to work; although, it’d be nice to meet a few more of our travel mates on here before departure. I’ve read a few instances of people starting a travel page on Facebook just for their trip and everyone joining and getting to know one another. Anyways, just about 36 more days until we’re down under! Can’t wait!

• 5 Aug 2011 Catherine said

Default_avatar

Hey Nick and Kimberley!
    I’m Catherine from England and I am also doing this tour but starrting in sydney on 4th september. was just reading your posts about people meeting up at different parts of the tour. there are lots of different tours on the east coast but they are basically just the same one, just some people start or finish in different locations.

• 7 Aug 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

Awesome, excited to meet you Catherine, are you doing a quad living or a single room? I cant believe how soon this trip is coming up!!!!!!!!! So are u meeting everyone in Surfers Paradise on the 6th?

• 7 Aug 2011 Nick said

Nick

Hi Catherine, thanks for the info. Sounds like we might be crossing paths. I wish I was going to see Sydney on this trip, but I’m stoked to get on with this adventure already!

And Explorer1273231 thank you for the advice on designer handbags =)

• 8 Aug 2011 Catherine said

Default_avatar

Hey!
    Yeh I am staying in the quad rooms, what about you?
    We get to Surfers Paradise on the 6th so we will meet you there. The whole tour is 25 days long I think from sydney to darwin, but i am just doing 14 days from sydney to cairns and then after the tour im flying to ayers rock for a few days and then melbourne for a few days. trying to fit in as much as i can in the limited amount of time i can get off work!
    really not long now tho! i can’t believe how quickly it has come around! i got my itinery in the post yesterday.
    Have either of you guys ever done contiki or anything like it before?? I’d never even heard of it and just stumbled accross it so no idea what to expect really!!

• 8 Aug 2011 Nick said

Nick

My travel agent has my itinerary and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow. I hadn’t heard of Contiki until I started researching my trip, so this will be my first experience. It’s also my first time travelling solo outside the US. I’m doing the 14 days from Surfer’s Paradise to Cairns as well. Are you doing the Whitsundays Sailing option? So close now, can’t wait to meet the both of you.

• 8 Aug 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

Hey guys, I need to get my itinerary I have heard of it before but no one I know has ever done it. I am also traveling alone for the first time very excited but a little nervous. Katherine who r u traveling with? Have u met anyone else on this sight doing this…r u staying with contki for Melbourne and ayers rock or doing that solo I am lookin forward 2meeting u both:)

• 17 Aug 2011 Catherine said

Default_avatar

Hey!!
    Not long now!!! Yes I’m doing the whitsunday sailing option, really looking forward to it!!
    I’m travelling with my sister, but did trek america last summer on my own and loved it, so I think you will be fine travelling alone as most people seem to do that anyway, and it prob makes it easier to meet new people. We are doing ayers rock and melbourne solo after the trip. dont have much time so it was just easier to book internal flights for that bit. yeh i have met a few other people on this website. there was another discussion which was called the aussi explorer, sydney to darwin 4th sept, I think. That is the same trip that we are on but the full 25 day version. also there is a page on facebook for our trip, just search ‘contiki aussie explorer sept 2011’

• 17 Aug 2011 Explorer1275997 said

Default_avatar

Good place a !!

• 18 Aug 2011 kberlyprimo said

kberlyprimo

Thanks for the facebook ad :) I was looking at your pics from your us visit, it looks like these trips are a blast!!!!!!!!! :)

• 19 Aug 2011 Nick said

Nick

Thanks for the add Catherine =)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.