Community_discussions_small  

Comment

European highlights my thoughts

26 Jun 2011 Linden Brackstone said

Default_avatar

I went on the European highlights trip on the 8th of June and loved it, well up to Munich where i got sick. Just thought id share my thoughts about the trip as it helped me reading these topics before i left. Firstly being a highlights trip it is ridiculously fast passed only really in the places to take a photo see a few things eat sleep then move on to the next place. It was a great trip just to see the major sights quick and easy and say iv been there, i probably wouldn't have gone and seen all these places if i was on my own, its just so easy with contiki and they really do make it as enjoyable and easy as possible. Also i think very well priced it would be a lot more expensive to see what u see on this trip on ur own and contiki have special hook ups and cheaper prices for some of the things which is great it just so easy with them. The optional activities are great overall but there are some i didn't really like. The cabaret show and dinner in pairs was great although pricey but it was a great way to meet all the people and mostly everyone did it and the show was quite entertaining as well. The day in Nice is cool as it gives u a chance to chill out and relax for the day. It was cool just walking the main street and along the beach, one place that was good was the lookout at the far end of the beach the views were great, just take the lift you'll find it. In Florence the Tuscan meal was amazing, defiantly go to that, just don't eat lunch as u will need all the room available for the pastas and all the courses they keep bringing out. The Vatican walking tour was really crap and not worth the 30 something euros or the 3 hours of my life, it was ridiculously hot u are in the with thousands of other tourists getting shuffled around and its was quite boring at some places, not really for me but if ur into churchy stuff like that go for it. Venice was great very touristy again but the gondola ride was cool and gave a great perspective of the city, also the walking tour was good value our guide was this hilarious old lady who made the tour interesting and engaging and she took us to the back streets where nobody goes which was a nice break from the packed tourist routes. Also don't worry about getting back to the meeting point as she gave me easily directions to get back 5 mins walk easy. Through out the whole tour there was a lot of walking just to see everything but i chose to do it on foot because i wasn't brave enough to take the metro or get lost on the trains, but our tour manager was great in giving us awesome maps easy to follow and clear timings to meet back at the meeting place. I was a bit apprehensive about the free days and what to do but the tour manager was great in suggesting things to do and if u just listen and use some common sense and be back to the meeting point on time you'll be fine. I didn't make it to the beer halls in Munich but i heard they were good.

Overall the tour was great, it was quick, cost effective and if u just want to see the major sights of Europe then maybe go back and see more of what u like then this is the tour. The Contiki team as always were great at every stop and it really was like a big family. Get to know everyone on ur bus because you'll be with them for 2 weeks.

Hope this helped anyone thinking of doing this tour just ask if u would like to know any more details, i hope u have as much fun as i did on this trip.

Cheers

Linden

• 29 Jun 2011 Jacqui said

Jacqui

Thanks for your post Linden! Answered a few things I was wondering about :)

• 2 Nov 2011 Amber said

Amber

hi there!
    I’m interested in doing this trip next year and I was just wondering how long you spent on the actual bus? I’d prefer to be out and about in the cities than on the bus for too long! and also, what were the places you stayed in like?

cheers!

• 2 Nov 2011 Lizi :) said

Lizi :)

Hey, thanx heaps for the info, makes a huge difference!! Do you think about 100euro’s a day is enough to take on this tour?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.