Community_discussions_small  

Question

best of USA sept 2012!!! whos coming or whos been?

6 Jul 2011 Taylormac asked

Taylormac

Im doing the best of USA tour in sept (starting NYC)...
I'm just wondering what the weather is like there in September and if anyone has done it before and could make any suggestions for things to do and thing you do or don't need?

and who else is on this tour??

Heres my fb to chat http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700674114

• 6 Jul 2011 sophieeeee said

Default_avatar

I was thinking about doing this tour too! Not around september though! But I dont think it will be cold, California will still be pretty warm and I think New york will be a little colder but not a hell of a lot.
    Best thing to is to keep on eye on the weather this coming september so you can get rough idea of what it will be like then?

• 8 Jul 2011 Taylormac said

Taylormac

okay cool thankyou =]

• 28 Jul 2011 Geevie said

Geevie

i just did this tour in June and LOVED it!!! it should still be reasonably warm as it is only just out of summer. i found this article really helpful before i left Best of USA travelogue 30th oct 2010

• 30 Jul 2011 lingy16 said

Default_avatar

hi, im new to all this site – where did you find the “best of america” i can only find northern/southern tours

• 31 Jul 2011 Taylormac said

Taylormac

http://contiki.com.au/tours/266-best-of-usa-start-new-york-city

Here you go :)

• 12 Oct 2011 LouiseEmma said

Default_avatar

Hey! I might be able to help, I just got back from the states last week after doing the Best of USA tour (starting in LA) My tour started on the 9th of September.

Its hard to pack for the trip as the weather varies so much. It was really warm when I first arrived in LA (I got there two days before the tour started) I would guess it was high 30’s for the first few days, but once the tour started the weather dropped to the mid to high 20’s. I wore shorts, t-shirts and dresses when I was there, and took a light jacket if we were going out at night. You will also need a nice dress as you have a night out in Hollywood (which was great fun) but it is up to you if you want to go, as partying is not everyones thing.

San Fran was pretty cool, we went to a baseball game the first night we were there and the baseball park is right next to the water, so we all got a San Fran Giants jumper which made the nighte even more fun. I survived without a jacket but it was hard, especially on the sunset cruise and if you visit Alcatraz. We were really lucky to have a clear day thje first day we got there, but the rest of the time we were there it was foggy. There is a really good westfield store about 10 mins walk from the hotel which has every shop you will ever need if you do need a good jacket or just want to go shopping. I wore jeans and long sleeve shirts every day, and a scarf.

Vegas was warm/hot. The majority of the time I wore shorts and a shirt, the first few days were okay and some of the time was spent on the grand canyon tour (if you do that, which I highly recommend, it was mine and many others highlight of the trip) but the final day we were there it was hot!!!! We went out every night as well so make sure you have a nice set of clothes and heals.

NYC was a mixture. It was cool but very humid. I wore jeans most of the time and a long sleeve top or a top with a light jacket that could fit in my bag. It rained non stop for 1 of the days we were there, so we were lucky. I stayed an extra 4 days after the tour, and even that was not enough time to do and see everything, it is an amazing city!!

I would suggest 2 pairs of shorts or skirts, maybe 2-3 pairs of jeans, a few long sleeve tops and a few short sleeve summery tops and 1-2 nice clothes to wear out. Inclosed flats or boots and some summer flats, a pair of heals, a scarf and jacket. Try to take clothes that you can mix and match, and you will do shopping there as well to make up for things you forget. Shopping is crazy cheap as well.

We flew with South West which allows you 2 50pound suitcases, but if either of those suitcases go over weight you get stung excess baggage so make sure if you think your suitcase may be over 50pounds (approx 25kg) buy another and stuff all your things in there.

My trip was the best holiday I have ever had, I did a Europe contiki 2 years ago and this one was much better as you fly rather then bus it so that saves so much travel time.

Hope that was of some help :)

• 16 Oct 2011 Taylormac said

Taylormac

Wow thankyou!! That helps alot!! Thankyou! :)

• 15 Dec 2011 Taylormac said

Taylormac

As my partner and i split up im now going solo.
    has anyone else booked this tour and who is staying on in LA? as im going to disneyland for a couple days after the tour!?

• 13 Jan 2012 lozen89 said

lozen89

Hey Taylor, I’m also going on this tour (starting new york) just wondering what date yours starts?

• 15 Jan 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

the 13th september =]

• 16 Jan 2012 lozen89 said

lozen89

Cool. Same one. I’m getting so excited, so’s my friend. It really isn’t that far away! :-)

• 16 Jan 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

i know!!! its super exciting!! its 239 days til i fly out =]
    Glad to know some more aussies going =] (i saw you are from NSW)

lozen89

Haha I’m counting down too! What day you leaving?

lozen89

Where are you from?

• 16 Jan 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

I’m in Tasmania :) I leave on the 12th and get there on the 12th, you??

• 17 Jan 2012 lozen89 said

lozen89

Oh nice! My friend and I are doing another tour before then, so we end up in new York on the 10th. But get to the states on the 27th :-)

• 17 Jan 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

Oh awesome!! What tour are you doing before this one? How exciting!

• 17 Jan 2012 lozen89 said

lozen89

Eastern discovery. Do you have facey?

• 17 Jan 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

oh awesome! big holiday then haha. how much spending money are you taking if you dont mind me asking??

Yeh ofcourse! ad me!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=700674114&ref=tn_tnmn

• 26 Apr 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

138 days till i go and i cannot wait!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.