Community_discussions_small  

Question

Feedback on Vietnam airlines?

12 Jul 2011 JWI asked

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,
Was thinking of heading to Vietnam and came across Vietnam airlines who fly direct from Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City. Was wondering if anyone has flown them, heard about them and has anything to share?

• 12 Jul 2011 1banshee said

1banshee

Hey JWY, I did fly on Vietnam airlines from LAX to Taipei and my experience was not the best; the aircraft looked very worn down, seats very uncomfortable with very little cushion left, the flight service was very limited for such a long flight and the fight attendants were not really attending. I do not know what other options you have to fly from Melbourne but If available i would also consider Qantas, Singapore airlines if the price difference is not to much even if you have to do a stopover, but that’s just me! who knows maybe you’ll have good experience with them…

• 27 Jul 2011 Suzie said

Suzie

Hi guys

Yes Ive just flown Vietnam and kind of had the same experience, you are very kind of the token white person and the attendants never listened or helped you if you needed something, the plane was ok nothing special kind of small and if you do fly with them, when you are landing dont get freaked out by the overhead baggage area because it shakes pretty violently but yeh just strange BUT!!!!!!!!!! Vietnam airlines domestic is the best I have ever been on domestically, sooooooooo much leg room its crazy, they are so clean and new and huge isles and seating and very friendly so I was so impressed but I just went with the most direct option because I hate flying and they were the cheapest so its up to you.

• 17 Aug 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

No don’t fly Vietnam Airlines They are rather overpriced by Comparison to Singapore Airlines but I am comparing Adelaide prices but $500-$600 more just to avoid having to overnight in Singapore on the way over is not worth it.SQ has the advantage of leaving just after midnight or 1am arriving Singapore just before 6am and with a good connection leaving at 9:50am you make Ho Chi Minh City just before 11am or fly Thai using a similar method and timings but through Bangkok which should get you in around the same time out of Melbourne.The other Melbourne Options include Malaysia Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

• 18 Aug 2011 JWI said

Default_avatar

Hey all,
    I decided not go to with Vietnam airlines, I wasn’t too thrilled with what I’ve been hearing and it was only an extra $100 to fly with Singapore so I went with them. Thanks everyone for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Happy travelling,
    Jess

• 18 Aug 2011 Jess said

Default_avatar

I had the opposite experience with Vietnam Airlines – couldn’t fault it. The domestic flights within Vietnam were all serviced by new, fresh, clean looking planes and my flights to and from Ho Chi Minh City were very comfortable – even the food was edible!

Don’t write Vietnam Airlines off… I would definitely fly with them again!

• 23 Aug 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I am likely to head back if Contiki let me on as a 35 going on 36 year old in 2013.I would stick to Singapore Airlines and it’s not just the safety and service levels.It’s the ability for me to earn points on Thai as well as Virgin Australia Frequent Flyer programmes that makes it a no brainer in which one I would choose.

• 30 Nov 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I haven’t thought much about it when I go back next year at this stage but has anyone considered Malaysia Airlines through Kuala Lumpur.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion