Community_discussions_small  

Question

Argentina & Brazil - 8th Feb 2012 Departure

15 Jul 2011 wheresshelly asked

wheresshelly

Hoorah! Have just had my spot confirmed for my mate and I on this trip. Has anyone else booked this one or looking at going on this tour? Would love to hear from you!

My mate and I will be staying on in Brazil after the tour for Carnivale before heading over to Patagonia, then Bolivia to do a Salt Flats tour, up to La Paz, before heading over to Peru to visit the Amazon and Machu Picchu before coming home!

I'm 30, F and currently living in Arnhem Land in the NT and my mate is 32 from Melbourne.

Can't wait for the caipirinha's!!

• 27 Jul 2011 TheFriendUHaven'tMetYet!!!! said

TheFriendUHaven'tMetYet!!!!

Hi,
    I’ve booked this trip with my girlfriend (M 27 & F 25). We are staying through for Carnivale. Unfortunately, Carnivale is the end of our trip and head home shortly afterwards.

Have you been able to book the carnivale accom through Contiki?

I’m on FB.
    www.facebook.com/timmy1

• 27 Jul 2011 wheresshelly said

wheresshelly

Hi Tim!

I asked Contiki which hotel they were using in Rio but they didn’t say. No doubt if it’s a hotel the price would be astronomical from the 17th to the 21st anyway.

I’ve booked acommodation at the Rio Aplauso Hostel for 4 nights at a comparably cheap $93AU a night. They don’t have a minimum night stay which most of the hostels do so that’s a plus. It also has pretty good reviews and is situated in an area only a block away from the Carnivale route.
    They’re running out of space fast though and only have a 9 dorm left (on Hostelbookers) so I’d book asap at whichever place you choose!!

Added ya on FB too :)

Cheers!

• 14 Aug 2011 @Krol_Souza said

@Krol_Souza

Hi guys! I’m brazilian and i live in Rio. There are so many places to you visit here, principally “Lapa”. It’s a bohemian and great place to meet differents kinds of people.

• 16 Aug 2011 wheresshelly said

wheresshelly

Nice one! I’ll be staying near Lapa, in Santa Teresa for Carnival! I heard the place looks a little dodgy but that it’s one of the best places for nightlife in Rio!
    Do you have any local tips for must see places most visitors don’t know about? Best places for Churrasco etc? Good spots (besides sambadrome) to watch the Carnival?

• 16 Aug 2011 @Krol_Souza said

@Krol_Souza

Really, there’s dodgy, you should be attrntion, but it’s a beatiful place. There’re “blocos” duranring the carnival, many people who sing and parade behind a band, anyone can go and it’s free. Bars near Lapa is a good ideia to stay to watch the carnival.

• 24 Aug 2011 Beej said

Beej

Hi guys!!! I am booked on this tour with my fiance (will be my husband then) and my two girlfriends are coming too :)
    Soooooo excited! its fully booked too right? how exciting! can’t wait to meet you both =]

• 26 Aug 2011 AussieHammo said

AussieHammo

Hey Guys

I am booked on this tour as well! Seriously can’t wait! I’m a 27 year old guy from Sydney.

I’m travelling solo around Peru, Bolivia, Colombia and Chile for a month and a half or so before the trip and then staying on in Rio for Carnivale afterwards.

Can’t wait to meet everyone and have a blast!

• 26 Aug 2011 wheresshelly said

wheresshelly

Great stuff! Good to see there’s some people on the trip, can’t wait!
    Remember to book your carnival accom now, if you haven’t already! Most of it has already filled up!

What kinda stuff will you be checking out in Peru & Bolivia, Mr…. ? I’m looking forward to the Salt Flats, Mountain biking down the worlds most dangerous road, women wrestlers in la paz, Machu Picchu, & a monkey rehab lodge in the Peruvian Amazon!

Feel free to add me on FB, if you’re on this trip
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536480214

• 31 Aug 2011 Belle said

Belle

Hey everyone!
    I have just booked this tour as well and I can not wait!!
    I’m 21 from Perth traveling solo for a last get away before uni starts again.
    I am definitely staying for carnival after, it’s going to be amazing :)

Looking forward to meeting you all!!

• 1 Sep 2011 @Krol_Souza said

@Krol_Souza

Hi, well i live in rio de janeiro, you can contact me if you want to know the city.

• 18 Sep 2011 Apurva_mohan said

Apurva_mohan

Heyyyy everyone! :)

Booked my trip awhile ago but just saw the post today! SOOOOO EXCITED!
    Im 20 F from Melbourne and travelling solo as well.
    Doing a volunteer program for a month around Costa rica before this trip, looking to stay on for the Rio carnival (havnt organised it yet :/ ) and hopefully travel to Peru, Chile and Mexio too.
    Add me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/apurva.mohan , would love to get to know you all before the trip. :D
    See you all soon!
    xo

• 27 Sep 2011 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone, just booked the trip.
    I have to be back to NYC by Monday 20th (haven’t booked the flight yet) so I’m trying to figure out the carnival situation.
    If anyone wants to get a place for a view days let me know.
    Also, what is the actually situation for the parade, I would assume tickets are required. Anyone has any info on that?

By the way I’m Marsha from NYC.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

• 28 Sep 2011 Explorer1282870 said

Default_avatar

Hey!! im 22 f living in melbourne, coming on the trip with three of my mates from Mildura. We are all staying on for carnival. Getting super excited for the trip, look forward to meeting you all then xx

• 29 Sep 2011 Explorer1298998 said

Default_avatar

Can anyone tell me what currency tourists use in both Argentina and in Brazil? Is it the american dollar for both countries?

• 30 Sep 2011 wheresshelly said

wheresshelly

o_0 …….
    Brazil has the Brazilian Real and Argentina the Argentine Peso . I think Ecuador is the only country in South America that officially uses the US$ but some people throughout will accept the US$ as they’ll go off and get a good exchange rate for it or use it on the black market.

For those that haven’t booked their Carnival accommodation yet, time is running out!! It books up very quickly and you’ll be paying 4x the normal rate at the least. Most of the good hostels/hotels are already booked out, there’s a few nice places that are out of the city still available but the rest will most have an annoying minimum stay requirement of 5-7 days (good if you’re staying that long though).
    Ocean Inn Rio still has some spots and only a 3 night min, is near Ipanema Beach in Leblon.

If you can find a place in the Santa Teresa /Lapa area that works well for Carnival as the parade route goes right through it on the way to the Sambadrome.
    You can purchase tickets to sit in the stands at the Sambadrome, price depends on which area you’d like. But is free to watch from the streets.
    You can also take part in the parade by signing up with a Samba school. For a set price they’ll give you a costume and stuff but you need to be able to attend rehearsals, Google for more info.

I wonder how many more people will be on the tour? Looks like there’s 16 of us on here now which I think is the minimum size, not sure how big they have the South America groups, up to 30 I think?

• 5 Oct 2011 said

Default_avatar

Does anyone wants to look for a hotel together?
    Save some money and to be honest I personally will feel safer :)

• 6 Oct 2011 Belle said

Belle

Hey,
    I’ve booked accomodation for carnival in the Rio Aplauso Hostel as well! it looks pretty central and isnt too expensive :)
    I found it on hostelworld.com if anyone is still looking
    Is everyone staying for the whole of carnival? im trying to figure out when to book my flight back.
    im getting so excited!!
    xx

• 6 Oct 2011 AussieHammo said

AussieHammo

Hey

I am staying at the ‘Stone of a Beach’ hostel in Copacabana for four nights straight after the tour. There wasn’t much left without a minimum 6 or 7 night stay when I booked this a couple of weeks ago.

Carnivale should be incredible – can’t wait!

Ryan.

• 25 Oct 2011 jimmys860 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys
    James from Melbourne – also on board for this tour. Can Not Wait!
    This contiki is the start of a 8 month round the world holiday for me, what a great way to start i think.
    I’ll be staying on in Rio after the tour for all of Carnival, but being a travel agent,I havent booked anything yet… our own holidays always seem to get neglected until the last minute… better get onto that.
    I’ve heard from pretty good sources, that Contiki may be releasing a “Carnival” package soonish for the week or so after the tour, but they were waiting for rates to be confirmed.. keep your eye on the website to see if that ends up happening…
    I just got back from Peru actually where I took part in a trial run of Contikis new Andes & Amazon Highlights tour starting next month… if that was anything to go by, this tour is going to be unbelievable!!
    See you all in Buenos Aires!!

• 25 Oct 2011 Apurva_mohan said

Apurva_mohan

Hey again,
    Im still looking for accommodation for the carnival but if contiki is getting a package sorted I might wait a little longer (Thanks for that info James). Im travelling for a month to costa rica and mexico before this trip, so ive just got thoes formalities done and dusted.

If the melbournians on the trip would like to catch up before we all head out, it would be great! :)
    Would make me feel a little less anxious too.

So excitedddd!
    Its going to be amazeeee!
    xo

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion