Community_discussions_small  

Question

New Zealand January 2012!!

18 Jul 2011 Kay22 asked

Kay22

Anyone else leaving in Jan?!

My first tour so very excited!

Any advice would be great! Mainly about what to pack as I have no idea!

Can't wait!

• 6 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

well i couldnt get any later flights to auckland so i will get to auckland on the 11th and got 3 nights accomodation for $160 at the Kiwi international hotel, so i guess i will see you’s at the meeting if i can. but hope to catch up for a drink if anyone is in early too. Im flying out on the 29th early in the morning but got a cheap room for $60 near the airport :)

• 6 Oct 2011 Amymoo said

Default_avatar

I’m in Auckland from the 12th so if you wanted we could meet for a drink or something to eat. That’s the thing I hate about travelling alone is eating by yourself. Everyone looks at you like you’re Billy no-mates.

KristieLee

Sounds great amy, yay lol we wont be loners at the table, i dont even know what im going to do for three days, haha i cant go crazy on money before the tour starts thats for sure.

• 6 Oct 2011 Amymoo said

Default_avatar

Serious question, what’s everyone bringing ie suitcase, holdall or rucksack? Im counting down the day for sunshine, it’s starting to get really wet and chilly here, well wetter and chillier

KristieLee

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAY :) Amy, im thinking about taking a suit case, and a small backpack and a handbag :/ really not too sure myself, whats a Holdall and rucksack? is it a bag with the strap? haha it will be lovely in NZ, is it your wet season now?

• 7 Oct 2011 Amymoo said

Default_avatar

A rucksack = backpack and a holdall is a soft bag but one with wheels so I don’t have to shlep all my stuff around. it’s nearly always wet here, we’re all part fish

• 7 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

oh okay, yeah well i think i will take a small backpack along for during the day and a handbag/clutch for going out. okay so a hold all is a suitcase but a mini version :) im picturing anyway lol. nearly half fish lol well fingers crossed it will be perfect weather on tour especially when we have our activites :) only 14 weeks to go.

• 7 Oct 2011 Kay22 said

Kay22

Thank you kristie :) I just received a new suitcase and travel bag for my birthday so I’m sorted :D only 14 weeks wow that doesn’t sound a lot when you think about it! So excited!

• 10 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

awesome kay haha your all set now. no its not alot at all, if you’s dont mind me asking, im kind of stuck on how much money to take over, i know they say to budget for $100 a day but i dont want to go over and be short of money lol

• 11 Oct 2011 Kay22 said

Kay22

The worrying thing is that I am going away for 11 nights and my suitcase is about to burst!! so packing for 3 weeks is going to be interesting! In all fairness I won’t be packing as much evening wear as I thinking evening wear for new zealand won’t need to be as formal! haha! But still… the worry has set in!

Money wise I still have no idea! My other half is going to pay for our optionals on his credit card so i don’t have to worry about that till i get home again but i’m still having a hard time trying to sort out the best way to carry my money! I’ll probs get a travelcard! To be honest it all depends on what optionals you wanna do… If your a thrill seeker you will need a lot more! Breakfast is included everyday… probs snack at lunch… so just need dinner, shopping and of course drinking money… as I do not want to travel with a hangover I will just be getting ‘happy drunk’ as they say! (probs end up eating my own words there lol) You know how much you spend on an average night out so i’d say budget that plus a little extra! Best to have too much money than not enough! :)

• 11 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

haha i couldnt imagine packing 20kg for 3 weeks. lol it would burst. but yeah im sure we would probably only need one or two pairs of going out clothes. yeah i have seen that a few people have suggested a travelcard. im sorted i bank with anz which is australia and nz. yeah well i caculated the activities that i want to do and that comes to $2000, then on top of that i added the $100 day budget which comes to another $2000 including my accomodation and stuff, lol its not cheap and im worried. i was talking to my mate on facebook and she said that she spent $2700 on her credit card and then another $1000 on top of that. she also said that there were a few more activites that aren’t shown on the site itinery. I really dont want to change my dates again, im so excited to go in january. hmm maybe i should get myself a credit card too. just the minimum amount.

• 12 Oct 2011 Amymoo said

Default_avatar

It’s worse for me, because I’m shall we say large, surely my clothes weigh more, my brassieres at least must weigh a good kilo what with all the scaffolding. And I’ve just never learnt the act of packing light.
    As for money, I’ve got a travelcard, had one last time I went to the states and it was fab. Also got credit card but at the moment I’m still trying to work out where I’m going to get the money from. Might have to try selling my body although that’s not likely to get me more than the price of a doughnut.

• 12 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

hmm well i was reading something i cant remember where though, that they dont really care how much you take to NZ because they have bigger buses. like they only weigh your bag once for the whole trip, i will have to ask my friend how much she actually took, and in her photos she had a descent sized bag. lol Amy im sure your worth more than a doughnut. yes well i applied for a credit card yesterday, very very scary because i spend $$$ every week, so this is going to be a challenge for me not to use it till holidays, but fingers crossed i get it. i cant believe how fast time is going, were already nearly half way through october. which i wanted to ask, this is a silly question, but if its the 13th here is it the 13th there too, or are you’s like a day ahead or behind?

• 13 Oct 2011 Amymoo said

Default_avatar

You’re about ten/eleven hours in front of us. Right now it’s 7.05 in the morning so it’s about sixish in the afternoon with you. Hope you had a good day, I just getting ready for work, errrgggh. I’ve got 89 sleeps til our hols but I leave home on the 10th. I’m not doing so well on the saving milarky, and with Christmas coming up. Do you think my family would take IOUs for duty free?

• 13 Oct 2011 KristieLee said

KristieLee

oh wow hehe im at work now. yeah i had a good day yesterday thanks amy, was very slow but good. yes im the same, christmas, bills grrr i hate bills. oh and not to mention i buckled my car door a week and a half ago, :/ thats not going to be cheap because its a brand new car. but oh well these things happen just have my fingers crossed for the credit card, or i would hate to change my tour date again. haha im not too sure, hmm thinking the same thing with my family too. yay its friday another week down.

• 14 Oct 2011 Kay22 said

Kay22

We can do it girls :) Just a few little cut backs here and there! I suppose I have it a bit easier as i’m still at home so everything is pretty much paid for so i do feel for you all! But think how worth it, it will all be when we get there! I paid off the trip today so its all done and dusted! Just have to book the pre-tour hotel as it was cheaper to get it online than it was to get it through contiki! Not long to go now!! So excited!

• 18 Oct 2011 elk said

elk

Hey,
    I’ve just booked and paid for my Grand Explorer trip starting in Auckland starting on the 6th of Jan.
    Is anyone else on that?
    I’m quite excited about it. First time going to NZ and first time flying international.

• 18 Oct 2011 Explorer1127991 said

Explorer1127991

I’ll be there too. The trip should be full.

• 20 Oct 2011 Dan_NZ said

Dan_NZ

I am Actually from NZ Whangarei top of north island and am keen to do the south island in January some time, what dates are you guys on?

• 20 Oct 2011 Dan_NZ said

Dan_NZ

I am Actually from NZ Whangarei top of north island and am keen to do the south island in January some time, what dates are you guys on?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion